• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Let's talk Winter!

Steve

we've got enough snow on the ground to cover the grass completely.  However much that is, 2" .  Nice light snow falling now. 

CMH should crack 20" today on the season if they haven't already.     I think we have a solid chance to hit our seasonal average this year.  Barring a major event, this winter will get filed away in the 'winters we won't ever remember' file.... as the vast majority usually do.

I still think CMH will get in on a good snowstorm this winter ... lots of potential ahead especially as we get into March.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just heard KCVG has the most snow on the ground currently @ 8"; than at any time the last two winter seasons....granted-- it's the southern end of the forecast area - but that's the kind of drought the metro area has experienced from good hits down here. Now, go to the northern suburbs, particularly the NW suburbs and I would bet that's not the case due to many Mixers with a NW (Snow) to SE (Frzn-Rain). 

I am with Dilly on this weekend. KY got an even better coating than we did this morning----massive amounts of snow pack south of here.

Just heard KCVG has the most snow on the ground currently @ 8"; than at any time the last two winter seasons....granted-- it's the southern end of the forecast area - but that's the kind of drought the metro area has experienced from good hits down here. Now, go to the northern suburbs, particularly the NW suburbs and I would bet that's not the case due to many Mixers with a NW (Snow) to SE (Frzn-Rain). 

I am with Dilly on this weekend. KY got an even better coating than we did this morning----massive amounts of snow pack south of here.

I'm glad for you guys..... not to mention it's always a good thing to lay down snow to the south.  It's encouraging that there's a solid snow field from Ohio to TN.    Definitely will help make this weekend interesting, whatever happens.

I still think CMH will get in on a good snowstorm this winter ... lots of potential ahead especially as we get into March.

I actually think so too.  I think we have about a 2 week window of potential ahead of us.  If we don't score it will be because of sh*t luck, not climo or a piss poor pattern.  We are in the midst of CMH big dog season....last half of FEB into MARCH.... :lol:

ps. nice steady light snow right now.

Most models showed southern Ohio getting 2-3". Actually looks crappy to me. Getting sheared apart as it moves across ohio. Was organized now it's just a torn up mess in pieces. Congrats though. Maybe you'll hit top end 3".

Radar isn't picking it up well. Big flakes developing Ina DGZ pretty low to the ground. RAP shows lift maxed out in that growth zone :)

2.6" in Madeira!

I actually think so too.  I think we have about a 2 week window of potential ahead of us.  If we don't score it will be because of sh*t luck, not climo or a piss poor pattern.  We are in the midst of CMH big dog season....last half of FEB into MARCH.... :lol:

ps. nice steady light snow right now.

Re: "Big Dog Season" - I was just telling someone yesterday-- the biggest snowfall event I recall was an 17-20 incher during my time at Ohio State - Late March/Early April 1987.....huge event. Obviously the blizzard of 78 was a massive overall event, but that was as much a flash freeze then 7-9 inches of snow with wind as opposed to double digit snow totals. 

BTW--88 event melted in 2 days--- in fact the Reds had opening day 2 day later in mid-60's weather.

Re: "Big Dog Season" - I was just telling someone yesterday-- the biggest snowfall event I recall was an 17-20 incher during my time at Ohio State - Late March/Early April 1987.....huge event. Obviously the blizzard of 78 was a massive overall event, but that was as much a flash freeze then 7-9 inches of snow with wind as opposed to double digit snow totals. 

BTW--88 event melted in 2 days--- in fact the Reds had opening day 2 day later in mid-60's weather.

I remember that. I was just a kid living in north central OH when it happened. Picked up over a foot and it melted not long after. My parents said it was really warm before it hit too ...

that was CMH's biggest 24 hour snowfall until February 17th,2003 (PDII).... then that got beat by March'08.   We just don't do early and mid-winter snowstorms very well.

we've got enough snow on the ground to cover the grass completely.  However much that is, 2" .  Nice light snow falling now. 

CMH should crack 20" today on the season if they haven't already.     I think we have a solid chance to hit our seasonal average this year.  Barring a major event, this winter will get filed away in the 'winters we won't ever remember' file.... as the vast majority usually do.

The most positive thing one can say about this winter is that it's probably overachieving vs. the climo of a terrible December.  I'll check again, but I don't think any winter with that statistic saw a colder than normal winter combined with snowier than normal.  Hitting normal snowfall is about the absolute best we could've hoped for, even though it's happening in the absolute most boring way possible. 

At this point, February probably ends up a top 10 coldest on record, and the winter overall will end up pretty close, or maybe a bit below my original call of 27 degrees, which would be 4.1 degrees below normal. 

wow....tailored made runs for my Debbie downing. 

Let's see what happens by Friday's 00z runs.... if the north route is undeniable then I'll be rooting hard for a stronger solution....wind it up and send it to central MI, nothing to stop it if it decides to go neg...  maybe we can hit 60 and thunderstorms!

Oh you know I'll be following it. Just not optimistic. And to clarify, getting a front end few inches followed by rain won't make me optimistic LOL might as well just be all rain.

Actually think it would be opposite if nothing else. Rain followed by a couple backend inches. But im gonna hold put til 12z Friday.

Actually think it would be opposite if nothing else. Rain followed by a couple backend inches. But im gonna hold put til 12z Friday.

for good backlash we usually need more of a south to north track over us.   These sw to ne events warm tongue us and then dry slot us.  

LC is infamously way too south with his snowstorms.....   JB has corrected himself in the last year or two, but he is still too south as well.

for good backlash we usually need more of a south to north track over us. These sw to ne events warm tongue us and then dry slot us.

LC is infamously way too south with his snowstorms..... JB has corrected himself in the last year or two, but he is still too south as well.

Well apparently he deleted me on facebook lol. I disagreed with him on one of the previous systems and he must've blocked me lol.

This may turn out to be worse than the SB storm. Noon GEM is heading like a rocket to Toledo. Buck maybe right on an eventual track to Central Michigan. Mother nature is b**ch slapping the buckeye state with sub zero temps the next couple days and then rain and well up into the 40's Saturday if the GEM is right. The trend north on this is unmistakable.

I posted in the other thread that we could end up with a front end thump of something with this.   Euro and ggem are streaking a lot moisture out ahead of the developing low along the front.    They both show plenty of moisture arriving before the cold air erodes.  Then as the storm heads northeast we actually dryslot.   

This is not an unprecedented set up.  We've had large front end dumps before with storms taking unfavorable tracks.   That might be our best hope at this point.

Archived