Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Let's talk Winter!

Steve

Solid hit for Ohio. :)

attachicon.gifohio.gif

I have a daughter at college in Athens, and a daughter at college in Morgantown......of course I couldn't resist texting them a pic of that and telling them they're both getting a foot of snow Saturday.    They probably just rolled their eyes at their nerdy dad...lol.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CMC tracks the low right through central ohio.

it's always been like that, so has the ukie and the euro.   The reason it's not predominantly rain for us is because the low weakens as it moves northeast and the precip gets here well out ahead of the system.    That's why our biggest issue is whether we switch over at the end or not.  

I have to completely take back what I said Wednesday about the north trend. The shortwave is coming in weaker as we get closer, and now the I-70 corridor has a nice buffer zone and I'm in the game down here.

I'll have to look things over closer Friday after my classes and there will be full sampling for the 12z Friday runs, but the WAA appears very strong in the low to mid levels. Anyone on the nose of that will see a period of heavy snow. Rain could eventually get pretty far north but not after a good front end dump.

As Buckeye said, me completely denouncing a storm a few days out is a pretty good sign for CMH :lmao: (although I did say I could see enough on the front end for an advisory...thinking someone in central or southern OH could pull off warning amounts now)

So we got slightly more amped CMC, bit less amped GFS, strung out Euro (still strong 850/925 WAA), and cold/weak NAM.  Not entirely what you normally see....lol.  But hey this looking better. 

What the models almost all agree on is that warm push from 850mb on down.  So I am still expecting a changeover to rain here and perhaps in CMH too.  Right now, the way it warms up keeps ice mainly out of the equation.  However, still slightly concerned that surface warms slower than 2-5kft levels which could mean a bit of ice.   Needs to be watched...IMO a winter storm watch should be issued with the AM forecast package.  Accumulating snow appears more likely.

For south of I-70 this is sort of reminding me of my big CMH bust from last year (when I said 2-4/3-6" and you got 10")...not a strong surface low riding directly over or north of the region and marginal temp profiles. Very heavy precip rates overcame that and you stayed snow for 95% of the storm. Wouldn't surprise me if something similar happens in this storm somewhere in the southern half of Ohio with the models showing marginal surface and 850mb temps but also very heavy precip rates for a time.

I'm having a hard time believing that the forecasted low in Columbus of 15-20 below zero is going to come close to verifying.  It's only -3 at 2am and falling slowly.  It would have to plummet very fast between now and dawn to get near that. 

Same here. -6 now, supposed to be -16!  Long way to go.

Not that I'm complaining. LOL

I'm having a hard time believing that the forecasted low in Columbus of 15-20 below zero is going to come close to verifying.  It's only -3 at 2am and falling slowly.  It would have to plummet very fast between now and dawn to get near that. 

Not really visible on IR imagery right now, but some high clouds are floating over Athens right now and logic would have it that they've floated over CMH too. 15 to 20 below is always going to be extremely tough to achieve in that urban heat island barring an epic cold setup, although I could've seen -10 tonight...still possible if the skies are clear or do clear soon. -14 here right now.

For south of I-70 this is sort of reminding me of my big CMH bust from last year (when I said 2-4/3-6" and you got 10")...not a strong surface low riding directly over or north of the region and marginal temp profiles. Very heavy precip rates overcame that and you stayed snow for 95% of the storm. Wouldn't surprise me if something similar happens in this storm somewhere in the southern half of Ohio with the models showing marginal surface and 850mb temps but also very heavy precip rates for a time.

Yes, riding the line down here and will have to watch it closely.  Hoping 12z runs shed a bit more light.

Not really visible on IR imagery right now, but some high clouds are floating over Athens right now and logic would have it that they've floated over CMH too. 15 to 20 below is always going to be extremely tough to achieve in that urban heat island barring an epic cold setup, although I could've seen -10 tonight...still possible if the skies are clear or do clear soon. -14 here right now.

That's ILN's forecast, so I assume they saw something I'm not... but then it's ILN, so I'm thinking bust. 

That's ILN's forecast, so I assume they saw something I'm not... but then it's ILN, so I'm thinking bust.

That's very gusty for Columbus proper by them. Some outlying areas are -10 to -15 per ASOS/AWOS stations and personal weather stations right now, so depending on clouds that forecast may stuff verify for outlying areas. But yeah too cold for the city itself and a good chunk of Franklin Co.

Yup, I thought about that storm as well.  I remember the morning before that storm, some of the sr models, like the rgem were trending warmer.   NAM was pushing the 850's north of us.  Everyone here was jumping off the bridge.   You're right, high rates saved us and we ended up with 10" of cement.   Southern OH also did well.

I'm always skeptical of forecasts that say   'x' amount of snow---->to rain----->back to snow.     If we thump in the beginning, but the precip slacks off, then yes, I think that opens in opportunity for a changeover, but if the precip is steady, I'm not so sure.

Archived