joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Let's talk Winter!

Steve

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're playing it cautiously, which is not a bad way to go.  However, I think the afternoon forecast will change if the models continue the way they've gone today so far.

the discussion that talks about models further north is from earlier.  Clearly things are trending differently this afternoon

My feeling on what they'll do this afternoon:

Expand the warnings north 1 or 2 counties, increase snowfall totals to 4"-8", but still mention a possible changeover at some point Saturday, which will still potentially keep totals on the lower side along and south of 70.

I'm only out to 24, but seems like totals will be half of the nam in central ohio.

Chicago posted a map in the other thread....looks sweet.   It's also colder and the low is a bit southeast and weaker compared to 06z.   Looks like around .9 for franklin.    Awesome trend considering the two models most likely to pick up a warm trend (nam and rgem) have come in colder

Sorry, but 2 many times did they hoist warnings 4 us when models clearly were showing rain. Can't stand ILN.

Yeah, they've been pretty bad in recent years.  Missed a lot of storms that were pretty obviously not going to go the way they forecast.

And then with the cold forecast last night... forecasting 15-20 below for a city that has seen those temperatures only a handful of times (and typically with either a stronger high directly overhead or deep snowcover) was just stupid. 

My feeling on what they'll do this afternoon:

Expand the warnings north 1 or 2 counties, increase snowfall totals to 4"-8", but still mention a possible changeover at some point Saturday, which will still potentially keep totals on the lower side along and south of 70.

depends on gfs....they'll hug it more than any other.   But I think an upgrade to a warning is looking pretty likely. 

Yeah, they've been pretty bad in recent years.  Missed a lot of storms that were pretty obviously not going to go the way they forecast.

And then with the cold forecast last night... forecasting 15-20 below for a city that has seen those temperatures only a handful of times (and typically with either a stronger high directly overhead or deep snowcover) was just stupid. 

I think what hurt us with not getting double digit subzero was lack of deep snow cover.  Yes, the ground is covered but there's a big difference between 2" vs. something deep.

Chicago posted a map in the other thread....looks sweet.   It's also colder and the low is a bit southeast and weaker compared to 06z.   Looks like around .9 for franklin.    Awesome trend considering the two models most likely to pick up a warm trend (nam and rgem) have come in colder

That was the 12z NAM map. 

I think what hurt us with not getting double digit subzero was lack of deep snow cover.  Yes, the ground is covered but there's a big difference between 2" vs. something deep.

Yep, but that's the point.  The conditions just didn't support that forecast, no matter how cold 850s were.  Consider that they mentioned on their FB page yesterday that they had sampled a record cold 850, the coldest since 2/17/1958.  The low on 2/17/1958?  -3  So of course they forecast up to 20 below. 

Speaking of cold, through yesterday, this month's mean stands at 21.7.  If it ended today it would be the 6th coldest February and tied for the 18th coldest month ever.  That mean will easily fall through the rest of the month.  We're just 5.1 degrees warmer than 1978, and have been falling at the rate of about 1 degree per day. 

Mike Ryan today @ 14:53

WITH REGARDS TO THE APPROACHING WINTER STORM...12Z DATA STARTING
TO ARRIVE. PLANS HERE AT NWS INDY ARE TO MAKE ANY DECISIONS ON
ADJUSTMENTS TO SNOW/PRECIP TOTALS AND SUBSEQUENT IMPACTS TO
HEADLINES BY EARLY AFTERNOON ONCE BULK OF THE NEW DATA IS IN.
EARLY INVESTIGATION HOWEVER DOES SUGGEST SOME ADJUSTMENTS MAY BE
IN ORDER. STAY TUNED.

The cold during these types of setups (Arctic high nearby and snow cover of varying degree) will cause great variability. There were several places near Cleveland in rural areas that were in the 20 to 30 below mark. In fact an unoffical -39 was recorded at Rome, Ohio. Central Michigan had numerous -30's or lower. Valleys and lack of wind...plus that deeper snow cover worked magic. Last night was truly amazing temperature wise for so late in the season. I believe the best ways for metro cities to really get cold are deep snow cover and exceptionally low -850's.

The cold during these types of setups (Arctic high nearby and snow cover of varying degree) will cause great variability. There were several places near Cleveland in rural areas that were in the 20 to 30 below mark. In fact an unoffical -39 was recorded at Rome, Ohio. Central Michigan had numerous -30's or lower. Valleys and lack of wind...plus that deeper snow cover worked magic. Last night was truly amazing temperature wise for so late in the season. I believe the best ways for metro cities to really get cold are deep snow cover and exceptionally low -850's.

-39 would tie the state all-time record if verified.  For reference, in 1994 the lowest official was -37, but that was a far more powerful overall outbreak.  Whole sections of the state were 20-35 below rather than isolated locations.  I lived in Bellefontaine at that time and it reached -35 there.  Never experienced such cold before or since.

-39 would tie the state all-time record if verified. For reference, in 1994 the lowest official was -37, but that was a far more powerful overall outbreak. Whole sections of the state were 20-35 below rather than isolated locations. I lived in Bellefontaine at that time and it reached -35 there. Never experienced such cold before or since.

Seems ive heard the Rome reports are a little off usually,but still it was down right cold last night! My area hit -23, and that looks to have been pretty common.

Archived