joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October Discussion

TalcottWx

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats picnic table on MT Mansfield first flakes recorded.

Kind of cool how if you follow the elevations that saw flakes with this trough, they steadily increased from west to east as the cold air modified.

Chicago area, parts of the plains at 500-1000ft...then into western PA/western NY hills but more like 1,500-2,500ft SE of BUF...then by the time it hit New England the snow level rose to 4,000ft.

Anniversary of the devastating early October snow bomb in 1987...hard to believe that 2011 happened, but then to think that this one happened over 3 weeks *earlier* in the season is crazy.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/aly/Past/1987_Oct/Oct_4_1987.htm

Fig9_Oct0487_12Z.jpg

An unprecedented early season snow storm occurred on October 4th, 1987. Three inches up to about 2 feet of extremely wet snow fell across eastern New York and western New England resulting in many deaths and injuries and an enormous amount property damage. There were widespread power outages. The trees still had their leaves which was a major contributing factor to the number of trees and limbs that came down taking out power lines. Snow to liquid ratios were as low as 3.5 to 1 (Kenneth D. LaPenta, 1988). The hardest hit counties were Dutchess, Ulster and Columbia counties where the power was out in some areas for nearly two weeks (Storm Data, NCDC). Albany, Columbia, Rensselaer, Dutchess, Greene and Montgomery counties were declared disaster areas (Storm Data, NCDC).

Anniversary of the devastating early October snow bomb in 1987...hard to believe that 2011 happened, but then to think that this one happened over 3 weeks *earlier* in the season is crazy.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/aly/Past/1987_Oct/Oct_4_1987.htm

Fig9_Oct0487_12Z.jpg

An unprecedented early season snow storm occurred on October 4th, 1987. Three inches up to about 2 feet of extremely wet snow fell across eastern New York and western New England resulting in many deaths and injuries and an enormous amount property damage. There were widespread power outages. The trees still had their leaves which was a major contributing factor to the number of trees and limbs that came down taking out power lines. Snow to liquid ratios were as low as 3.5 to 1 (Kenneth D. LaPenta, 1988). The hardest hit counties were Dutchess, Ulster and Columbia counties where the power was out in some areas for nearly two weeks (Storm Data, NCDC). Albany, Columbia, Rensselaer, Dutchess, Greene and Montgomery counties were declared disaster areas (Storm Data, NCDC).

Yeah...we talked about it a couple pages back. It's definitely more anomalous than 2011. It's hard enough to even get 850s down to 0C this time of year...nevermind heavy snows to the surface.

Yeah...we talked about it a couple pages back. It's definitely more anomalous than 2011. It's hard enough to even get 850s down to 0C this time of year...nevermind heavy snows to the surface.

The other amazing thing was it fell on the heels of 4/28/1987 making it one the shortest window between snowfalls.

The 80s had some crappy winters but events like these kept the interest up...lol.

God if that happened today, ABC's head would explode. It already sounds like the world is ending every night when you listen to them.

Some year we're going to a hurricane I think I'll just have to turn off the TV for a few months.  I can't imagine what it would be like if we started a 1938-1960 stretch.  Thankfully I don't have cable or satellite anymore but the OTA channels can be bad enough.

So far I see one. By the way, chucked a few at Coolidge corner yesterday.

Where were you? I circled by a couple of times. Yesterday was a full day of introspection (personally and communally) but I was in the hood back and forth from home a few times. That digital thermo near trader joes is pretty accurate...lol.

Archived