joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Discusssion--winter bound or bust

moneypitmike

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some act as if some warmth in september is not a common thing, Who cares how warm it is, Just get some coastal's and cooler temps here into October and some 12/12 hrs of light................. :)

As long as it's not a repeat of 1999 or 2002, and I see no signs of that level of heat.  A run of 70s would make a nice homestretch for the garden.

Nothing wrong with a 2002-03 winter repeat fwiw. Toss 99...lol.

Suppression city (77% of avg snowfall, 12th highest of 16 winters), though it was the coldest winter here until this past one and, due to the mid-Nov snowfall, had very long sustaining of snowpack, though only of modest depth.  Lots better that 99-00, I agree.

Man..just an absolute torch of a week for us. Not the best way to start autumn..but what can you do

LEAD COLD
FRONT EXITING THE NORTHEAST WILL HAVE LITTLE AFFECT ON
TEMPERATURES POST FROPA AS HEIGHTS BUILD ON THU/D4. WARMEST DAY IN
THE EASTERN THIRD OF THE NATION WILL BE FRI/D5 WITH THE SFC HIGH
OFF THE COAST AND THE COLD FRONT BACK THROUGH THE LAKES. 

I am rooting for an AN September. Who wouldn't be, I don't understand that. It is a bug free month up here, and the chance to be out in the sun in 75-85 degree weather, with cool mornings and changing leaves, with no bugs, is a gift.

Hello again everyone, I hope you have enjoyed summer.

yo Marky hope all is well. Yea I noticed this week when skimming the pool the lack of bugs,another reason September is my favorite non winter month, bring on the heat.

Well the euro is pretty warm Fri/Sat too. The ens seem a bit faster with the front so Sat isn't too bad. We'll see.

It's a nice cool down after that though. It's obviously lalaland, but that d10 system would be nice...40s/50s and rain.

That would have to be one helluva inverted ... or in the least straight up down vertical walled isothermal sounding for that... wow   Not to mention that east wind off of near SST max seasonal waters transporting 60+DPs inland ... even if there was an iota of chance for that solution to verify (which their isn't beyond mere decimals) those environs/synoptics don't look 40's ...

The Euro has a cold heights bias as we all know, beyond D6, anyway.  It's so bad at times I sarcastically mutter to my self that ECMWF must know their product is a piece of sh!t beyond D5 so they just fudge it and throw corrective coefficients in there to bring the longer range depictions back from the schizoid brink. In other words, 'fake it'.  So long as users are awed at it's D4 verifications, no one will notice the model's long range split personality/paranoid delusions with involuntary narcissistic rage...

The literature on the evolution of that model I've seen mentions that they do indeed employ corrective schemes to smooth out emergent noise out in time. But in fairness, what does that mean exactly?  I mean who's to say whether or not it's extended obsessive-compulsive depression disorder up in the NE US/SE Canada is merely endemic to our nook of the hemisphere.  Maybe the Euro only does that in the OV/NE part of Earth ... some unavoidable emergent uncertainty for environmental parameterization causing enhanced fractal probabilities...   :wacko2:

That'd be some f'ed up luck, eh?

I noticed last winter the Euro seemed to have a Nor'easter spun up on the EC more times then not per given extended (D7-10) outlook.  I mean, if the model always has one on there, and we have a stormy winter, it's going to be right some 50% of the time for random D9s. Which then of course makes it look down right prescient as a prognostic weapon.  Funny, total bullsh!t takes all the credit that way.  

But what's been taking place this summer obfuscates things a bit.  We have had dual biases in play:  one has been for models et al to over produce eastern ridging .. or in the least, pattern changes, only to collapse back to a persistence sort of ennui; the other has been for the Euro to drill troughs at the same time.  So it's hard to tease the truth out of that confusion.

By the way ... for those that bother employing the CMC model beyond it's 10 min outlooks ... it does the same thing even worse.    

Man..just an absolute torch of a week for us. Not the best way to start autumn..but what can you do

LEAD COLD

FRONT EXITING THE NORTHEAST WILL HAVE LITTLE AFFECT ON

TEMPERATURES POST FROPA AS HEIGHTS BUILD ON THU/D4. WARMEST DAY IN

THE EASTERN THIRD OF THE NATION WILL BE FRI/D5 WITH THE SFC HIGH

OFF THE COAST AND THE COLD FRONT BACK THROUGH THE LAKES.

Damn...we may actually hit 80.

That would have to be one helluva inverted ... or in the least straight up down vertical walled isothermal sounding for that... wow   Not to mention that east wind off of near SST max seasonal waters transporting 60+DPs inland ... even if there was an iota of chance for that solution to verify (which their isn't beyond mere decimals) those environs/synoptics don't look 40's ...

Yeah...I'm not going to debate a d10 prog. Looked more like an overrunning system with some low level ageo drain though with 850s around +4C to +8C and pouring rain. Literally it had 2m temps in the 40s and 50s.

I only posted about it for fun. It'll verify as 72F and SCT or something anyways.

Yeah...I'm not going to debate a d10 prog. Looked more like an overrunning system with some low level ageo drain though with 850s around +4C to +8C and pouring rain. Literally it had 2m temps in the 40s and 50s.

I only posted about it for fun. It'll verify as 72F and SCT or something anyways.

Interesting...  2m temp products I do no have access to wrt to the Euro products, because I refuse to pay for a resource we don't really need .. ... but that's beside's the point. 

I suppose if it can snow 20" on an October 30, it can't be unheard of to drill a 45F on September 10.  And that conclusion is quite obvious when we know that in May into early June, you can stagnate a coastal on-shore flow and drive the 50F isotherm clear to Springfield Mass and beyond.   

So yeah ..it's all moot and useless..  

Mostly, I just wonder what is going on with the lack of TC activity.  Yea, I guess it was supposed to be a weak season, but the reasons given for those outlooks haven't exactly verified with very much panache.  El Nino is delayed, and the QBO is already abating having just slipped negative as of the end of July.  Not only that, the Roundy Probabilities have been elevated for these last 7 days of August into the first 10 or so days of September, too. I am wondering if there is a negative anomaly in TW frequency, because it doesn't seem there's been a lot of eye-candy to begin with, either.  Hmm. Not sure... but it seems on paper like the Basin is primed yet... 

Archived