Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
September 2014 General Discussion

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ground temps look like they are trending lower (influenced by the temps in recent days to an extent I'm sure)....

post-5865-0-81127200-1410531797_thumb.jp

I remember commenting on how cold ground temps were getting last December the second week or so....If I recall correctly, we had a frigid blast without any snowcover yet and that lead to a rapid plummet of soil temps (closer to the surface) around week 2 of December 2013

ground temps look like they are trending lower (influenced by the temps in recent days to an extent I'm sure)....

attachicon.gif9 12 2014 temps platte.jpg

Wow, already about 60-62°. After tonight and the rain today it'll drop some more.

Saw this post on the Wisconsin DNR's page. Radar showing migrating birds last night.

10665940_811980728866130_366461579059481

WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING…

…millions of birds were on the move, migrating south. Check out this cool radar map from last night’s activity. The circled area is rain, but the dark blue and green spots everywhere else show bird migration. The heaviest activity is in eastern Minnesota and Wisconsin. We can’t tell exact numbers or species from this image, but these are likely warblers, thrushes, vireos, orioles, hummingbirds, blue-winged teal, shorebirds and others en route to Central and South American wintering grounds. Check out our latest birding report (http://dnr.wi.gov/News/or/#birding) and tell us what you are seeing!

Ok, I'll bite, I am not seeing "bird migrations" here, I am seeing ground clutter from radar sources...

Eric

I do know birds and insects can be picked up on radar. I don't think all that is birds, some of the clutter likely is. Back this far west I am noticing some flocks from time to time. You can bet that the birds are leaving Canada, especially where it snowed!

The rings around that image posted are ground clutter. They will often get more prominent during the night as the boundary layer depth decreases and an inversion forms. The inversion causes the radar beam to bend back towards the Earth. Google for anomalous propagation, atmospheric ducting, and super-refraction for more information.

I didn't see any non-meteorological scatterers other than the ground clutter at a quick glance. Was there a specific radar site or spot that we were supposed to focus on?

This is definitely a top five September cruddy day ever in Milwaukee. Can't get worse than this. I accept it because it's record breaking for the second straight day, but I'd much rather have the next five day forecast every day in September, as long as there were some showers and storms sprinkled in.

2j4oemx.jpg

clearing hard to come by ANYWHERE in the midwest.  Gets brighter here...rain still falling very lightly.

Archived