Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
T-Storms Part 2 : "North and West of the city!"

TalcottWx

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Radar in Taunton is OTS and not expected to return until during the day tomorrow. 

Status message is from yesterday and says radar should be operational by today.  Are you hearing otherwise?

NOUS61 KBOX 111723

FTMBOX

Message Date: Aug 11 2014 18:32:13

KBOX TRANSMITTER IS OUT OF SERVICE. PS9 POWER SUPPLY ON ORDER. EXPECTED RESTORATION OF EQUIPMENT IS EXPECTED BY 8/12.....mje

Status message is from yesterday and says radar should be operational by today.  Are you hearing otherwise?

NOUS61 KBOX 111723

FTMBOX

Message Date: Aug 11 2014 18:32:13

KBOX TRANSMITTER IS OUT OF SERVICE. PS9 POWER SUPPLY ON ORDER. EXPECTED RESTORATION OF EQUIPMENT IS EXPECTED BY 8/12.....mje

From their Twitter account.

KBOX radar is down due to a hardware failure and is expected to return to service during the day Wed. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Try again

Low but non-zero severe weather/tornado threat tomorrow. Always beware of warm fronts in August! pic.twitter.com/OVg75YgSLp

Actually I just looked at the 18z models and they aren't too shabby for tomorrow really.  Think eastern CT/RI into SE MA could feature some interest.  

Actually I just looked at the 18z models and they aren't too shabby for tomorrow really.  Think eastern CT/RI into SE MA could feature some interest.  

Worth watching for sure. Instability issues based on how soundings look but who knows. These warm fronts in August are always interesting. 

Worth watching for sure. Instability issues based on how soundings look but who knows. These warm fronts in August are always interesting. 

The 925mb LLJ on the 18z NAM seems overdone to me...the GFS is pretty strong as well though.  LCL's are very low however, so we really could see a situation like we saw a few Sunday's ago in CT where radar might not look like much but enough is going on to get some sort of rotation going down to the sfc.  

The 18z GFS sounding at IJD is quite impressive for 18z tomorrow, however, it has nada for Cape in the lowest few km but there is sufficient Cape above that so we really do need to watch.  

Maybe Kevin will get his chance at redemption tomorrow

I really don't foresee much in the way of severe weather coming out of this into SNE. Definitely agree with sbos_wx on the heavy rain idea, some areas already up to 10 1/2 inches. Raining very hard here into SE CT right now and have plenty of moisture left to move over Long ISland.

Tonight I believe is the anniversary of one of the most intense thunderstorm nights in my life.About 13 years ago I believe the thunderstorm cell re developed south of Springfield MA and then tracked into the southern suburbs of Boston with golf ball sized hail? Can anyone confirm? A radar capture would be welcome as well!

Tonight I believe is the anniversary of one of the most intense thunderstorm nights in my life.About 13 years ago I believe the thunderstorm cell re developed south of Springfield MA and then tracked into the southern suburbs of Boston with golf ball sized hail? Can anyone confirm? A radar capture would be welcome as well!

Are you thinking of August 10, 2000?  Early morning supercell that moved up from the Poconos into Connecticut, showed some low level rotation over Northeast CT?  Lightning was "on" more frequently than "off", 1.75 inch hail in Cumberland RI and Norton & Easton MA?  Straight-line winds in Northern RI? Quite a sight, and more of a Great Plains type of storm.  Also quite a sight to see it coming right down the radial toward the office.  We archived the event (back in the days before the whole database was automatically shipped to NCDC) but only the portion after 08Z / 4 AM is in NCDC's database.   

There was also a storm on August 10, 2001. That one was all tstm winds.

Archived