joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
T-Storms Part 2 : "North and West of the city!"

TalcottWx

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a solid squall-line event is in store. My bet is a smattering of wind reports from Maine to, say, Tennessee, right along where the SPC has the 15 and 5% zones. Probably gets strongest around the spine of the Appalachians, and weakens after due to loss of daytime heating and ocean effect. I see here your standard New England Summer Special event here, nothing too eyepopping for me. It certainly looks like discrete cells will be strongly in the minority, if any form at all. Sit back, relax, and watch a wall of bangers overspread the region. Also, great name for the thread, if I do say so myself! Heh.

It seems getting the correct "timing" on storms this summer has been particularly difficult? Can't remember a summer when almost every occasion has been after midnight. At least for eastern areas?

As far as I know, it isn't incredibly uncommon to see a strong diurnal effect in our area with respect to summer thunder. Storms usually form in unstable air to the west in the afternoon, cross the Berks and Whites at peak strength during the evening, and collapse in the east at night as they meet the triad of evil: daytime heat loss, orographic forcing (downslope sinking air kills storms) and ocean air. We've actually had a couple events, particularly in eastern new england, this year that were not diurnal at all, most noteworthy being last Tuesday's craziness in NE MA into ME. You get a whole mix of stuff, really, but the diurnal event style certainly feels more common.

Despite the rather tepid discussions regarding instability with the SPC outlooks, DTX did have 8.1 C/km lapse rates on their 00z sounding last evening. Even modified somewhat liberally to 6.5 would yield pretty good instability for these parts given the surface T/Td. I'm encouraged by the ACCAS showing up on satellite already (ACCAS by 8 means Ekster stays late).

Shear leaves something to be desired, but at least up our way we should have enough to make things interesting.

Of course the forcing parallel flow should give us a few flash flood warnings regardless.

Despite the rather tepid discussions regarding instability with the SPC outlooks, DTX did have 8.1 C/km lapse rates on their 00z sounding last evening. Even modified somewhat liberally to 6.5 would yield pretty good instability for these parts given the surface T/Td. I'm encouraged by the ACCAS showing up on satellite already (ACCAS by 8 means Ekster stays late).

Shear leaves something to be desired, but at least up our way we should have enough to make things interesting.

Of course the forcing parallel flow should give us a few flash flood warnings regardless.

ACCAS by 8 means Ekster stays late is amazing lol

This is a must see. Fascinating

NEW VIDEO: Rare, up-close @GoPro video of violent, white suction vortices under EF4 #tornado in SD by @stormpics https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152571266484169&l=6973131424933016763 

That's pretty wild, Kevin--thanks for posting it.

Hopefully today will play out  up here (especially if it can play out after sunset).  Regardless, it will be great to be rid of the mank.

The NAM soundings were terrible yesterday with great low level lapse rates and abysmal mid level lapse rates, thanks to a big inversion above H7.  SPC actual soundings this morning show that warm layer lower in the atmosphere yielding pretty nice m/l lapse rates in fact of ~6.5 deg/km.   At ALB there was some backing at the surface and increased helicity was noted, but of course the upper level wind support is much better as you head NE.   Best guess from me would be some west to east moving cells cruising the scenic route down the Kangamangus hwy early on and maybe a second more linear round later on and further south.  Thinking it goes north of my area but if we could catch the tail end of the line it could get mildly interesting.

The NAM soundings were terrible yesterday with great low level lapse rates and abysmal mid level lapse rates, thanks to a big inversion above H7.  SPC actual soundings this morning show that warm layer lower in the atmosphere yielding pretty nice m/l lapse rates in fact of ~6.5 deg/km.   At ALB there was some backing at the surface and increased helicity was noted, but of course the upper level wind support is much better as you head NE.   Best guess from me would be some west to east moving cells cruising the scenic route down the Kangamangus hwy early on and maybe a second more linear round later on and further south.  Thinking it goes north of my area but if we could catch the tail end of the line it could get mildly interesting.

Nice looking hodographs by 21z on the NAM for the Valley. Not expecting much though with that decent inversion around H7. 

Instability has built nicely here, but quite possibly for naught.  Nearly 3K at the surface, 2K ML.   With such a warm layer aloft the cap is going to be difficult to break and I just don't see the external lifting mechanism.   As today was modeled it seemed the height falls would be paramount and even up into E NH and S ME have been somewhat muted, though the better shear and low level lapse rates to go along with still decent instability should be able to compensate.

Archived