• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
June Discussion

Bostonseminole

Only a couple of more days left in May, Maybe some would like to start discussing June weather.  There has been some memorable June heat recently, last year June started out with 90's and by late in June we had mid 90's for highs. In 2012 we had a nice 3 day heat wave (20-22) with upper 90's common and I still remember my car almost submerge on June 13th 98 in sommerville.  What will June of 2014 bring?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's another freebie. The Weather Underground android app has a radar widget, only one I've ever found. You can set the zoom to the view of your choice and it will remember your setting too. It updates hourly on its own, but there is a refresh button as you can see. Widgets would be hard to give up if I ever switch to a certain iProduct.

usyrema4.jpg

Here's another freebie. The Weather Underground android app has a radar widget, only one I've ever found. You can set the zoom to the view of your choice and it will remember your setting too. It updates hourly on its own, but there is a refresh button as you can see. Widgets would be hard to give up if I ever switch to a certain iProduct.

usyrema4.jpg

And yes, half of my primary homescreen is devoted to weather radar.

nice

Did you end up getting any thunder at your house, or were you still at work? I am curious about the accuracy of the Weatherbug lightning network. I found their detailed explanation of their network at http://www.earthnetworks.com/products/totallightningnetwork.aspx.

I don't particularly understand what they are talking about, but it does seem that the accuracy of any lightning data is going to be dependent on the sensor network quality. Maybe someone who knows more about it can add some insight to the difference between Weatherbug and the USPLN lightning strike map that I think is a WSI product.

Did you end up getting any thunder at your house, or were you still at work? I am curious about the accuracy of the Weatherbug lightning network. I found their detailed explanation of their network at http://www.earthnetworks.com/products/totallightningnetwork.aspx.

I don't particularly understand what they are talking about, but it does seem that the accuracy of any lightning data is going to be dependent on the sensor at work and saw lightning towards norwich and thunder but none here, was worried as we are hosting a promnetwork quality. Maybe someone who knows more about it can add some insight to the difference between Weatherbug and the USPLN lightning strike map that I think is a WSI product.

None here at work, saw lightning and thunder towards Norwich, was worried as we are hosting a prom and we have had our share of lightning issues with underground cabling

June discussion be dmned, just think of how sweet that will be in February, when you are at work and you just pull out your phone for a quick glance and you can see the band approaching.

I maybe a weather app junkie, between the iPad and two phones, work computers and phones I think I have them all

Monday and Tuesday could be real warm..Tuesday esp inland. Then like we said..it's just about how that front and lows riding along it behave. It's possible we may have a day or two of kind of meh weather..but it could be still mild and a bit muggy. It may cool off next weekend...but again that front is just south of us so it's difficult to time disturbances. It's one of those things where if it rains, it's raw..if it's sunny..it's 82. 

It's tough for me to bring on a prolonged summery pattern with the ridge axis still out west..but climo is also warming. It does look like we will have bouts of warmer and more humid weather over the next two weeks. Typical June stuff it seems...just a matter of how frontal boundaries behave.

Will have to watch for a severe weather threat Tuesday or Wednesday as well. Lots of questions re: boundary location and timing but some signals there (Euro looks decent for Wednesday).

Yeah I agree. If that WF can ride over SNE....could be interesting. Looks better than it did a few days ago.

Yeah I agree. If that WF can ride over SNE....could be interesting. Looks better than it did a few days ago.

All about getting the higher theta-e air in here. Tuesday probably doesn't amount to much with best jet dynamics/shear well west but Wednesday could get fun. 

All about getting the higher theta-e air in here. Tuesday probably doesn't amount to much with best jet dynamics/shear well west but Wednesday could get fun.

Yeah need to get some low level theta-e and not 4500' up lol. Although, I'd take a May 2010 setup with ping pong balls.

82 is meh. And that is if the front sets up right

I won't mind that at all. Keep the 90s at bay for 3 more weeks

You don't get much in the way of 90's do you?  We seem to get between 0 and 3 90+ a year.  At least in the five that I've lived here.  I'd guess you're not too different?  Expect Whiteminster to be in the same boat as well.

You don't get much in the way of 90's do you?  We seem to get between 0 and 3 90+ a year.  At least in the five that I've lived here.  I'd guess you're not too different?  Expect Whiteminster to be in the same boat as well.

I can not help it, but when I read your posts, moneypitmike, I hear the post being said in that monotone, depressed Eeyore voice.  It went so well with some of the gloomy backdoor days. Actually gave those posts full Eeyore surround dimension.

What I think we are missing here (not that we were looking ...) is that any fropas this week are of a different ilk than these diving troughs out of eastern Canada, that have kept coming south on nearly normal slopes, acting like quasi BDs. They really haven't been, though -- we are actually being affected by a coastal storm's farthest westerly extending tentacles today (as an example).  And the day I filmed the supercell up here in Middlesex Co (last Sunday), that was a deep layered dynamic trough incursion. BDs are really differently engineered than that.  Anyway, it really is a new paradigm/less obvious, sneaky sort of pattern change going into this next week; one that's lost the blocking/trough tuck plague.  One that I think Jerry and Kevin will appreciate at max/min times.

Kevin's been making me smile for three weeks now, as he has been spinning the interpretation of guidance into what this week may finally  ... at long awaited last, provide:  80+ F days, over 55 -type nights, with the smell of summer in the air.  Even if it's 76 or better I find that successful, as the new regime won't be like one afternoon of exalted appeal followed by a murk. 

In fact in the dailies... the GGEM and EURO thermal fields struggle to depress the 850mb temp back below +10C even after the mid week's model-averaged frontal event, one that comes in more traditionally from the WNW at that.  Really different than the erstwhile cool plague.  Looks to me in the synoptic charts like it shallows out and starts to frontalysis', anyway.  Not sure I agree that it cools off at the end of the week. I sense in there that at least for two intervals, the heights pulse in the east, and that may also be why the front weakens as it parallels heights that are trying to rise right away.  Not dramatically, no ... just enough to normalize that boundary and we default on the warm side.   

May have to breakdown and put in the upstairs window A/c units Monday. I try to hold off as long as possible because they take up the only window in each bedroom and once they're in for the season it means no more fresh air for sleep until mid September. Once we get a couple 80 degree days in a row with mild 60+ nights the window fans just can't keep up. This is the lares I've held off putting them in the past few years.

May have to breakdown and put in the upstairs window A/c units Monday. I try to hold off as long as possible because they take up the only window in each bedroom and once they're in for the season it means no more fresh air for sleep until mid September. Once we get a couple 80 degree days in a row with mild 60+ nights the window fans just can't keep up. This is the lares I've held off putting them in the past few years.

hold off more, pretty sure the shoreline gets that natural AC this week, where are you seeing 80s /60s this week?

Putting mine in today. Happy I was able to hold off this long. The issue really is a couple of 80 degree days with 60+ at night really just makes the air stale especially upstairs

Archived