• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & Fringes - Autumn dawns

Jns i heard the fire dept get called to that!

Picture from my friend/ neighbor

Where does your friend live? I'd certainly believe we had over 4 inches. Most of it in a 3 hr time period also. I saw radar estimates of a little over 2" in this area, but that seemed a bit low for how hard & long it rained, as well as the 6"+ of water that was in the yard at 6:30.

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jns, thank goodness it missed everything (also I know exactly where you live, ha!).

LOTS of roads closed this morning, getting in was an adventure. That rain around 6 a.m. was pretty wild stuff.

On an related note: I realized this morning my detached garage has a small hole in a gutter - any idea how I can patch that? Don't want to replace the whole thing really.

Jns, thank goodness it missed everything (also I know exactly where you live, ha!).

LOTS of roads closed this morning, getting in was an adventure. That rain around 6 a.m. was pretty wild stuff.

On an related note: I realized this morning my detached garage has a small hole in a gutter - any idea how I can patch that? Don't want to replace the whole thing really.

easy fix depending on the size of the hole.

For a quick and dirty fix for a small hole, Take an aluminum can and cut a patch that will cover the hole leaving some extra on the sides. Cut it square. Go to a big box or hardware store and get a caulking tube of gutter sealant, seal the patch in place with the sealant. Also use it to seal the seam leak. follow directions on tube for surface prep.

You can look at this website for some other alternatives as well

http://www.realtor.com/home-garden/do-it-yourself/roofing/patching-metal-gutters.aspx

Where does your friend live? I'd certainly believe we had over 4 inches. Most of it in a 3 hr time period also. I saw radar estimates of a little over 2" in this area, but that seemed a bit low for how hard & long it rained, as well as the 6"+ of water that was in the yard at 6:30.

we live in Summerdale

i have been trying to reply to this for ten minutes, and it wouldn't let my post go through, but i just saw JNS and my advice i was typing was almost the same, but i included if you aren't real mechanical or you don't  have tools and such, you can get a can of that spray water sealer like they show on infomercials, the sh*t works wonders, spray in the inside and you'll never see it.

Jns i heard the fire dept get called to that!

Picture from my friend/ neighbor

I was wondering about that 4.1" report from Summerdale!  I was only at 2.63" for the event around 8:30am so I am curious as to how a short distance is nearly 1.5" apart. 

I was wondering about that 4.1" report from Summerdale!  I was only at 2.63" for the event around 8:30am so I am curious as to how a short distance is nearly 1.5" apart. 

i made mention of that on all the spotters reports. Some reported under 2". My gauge is broke, but i knew we had more then 1.65"

He usually does pretty good and i think his gauge is out by his garden and not around anything.

i made mention of that on all the spotters reports. Some reported under 2". My gauge is broke, but i knew we had more then 1.65"

He usually does pretty good and i think his gauge is out by his garden and not around anything.

and it doesn't look like it is close enough to the ground that the period of very heavy rain would have caused a splash effect either... the first line just missed me last night so maybe he caught enough of the edge... I had only about .40" around 9pm last night

CTP confirmed an EF-0 tornado touchdown today in Lock Haven from yesterday. I plugged in the archived data into GRAnalyst and didn't see very much sign of this on radar around the estimated time. The storm had what I guess I could call a very weak broad rotation on approach.. but not much at the estimated touchdown time or the next frame (707pm) other than an area of 40-45kt outbound (southerly) winds. There were a couple instances of possible rotation yesterday on radar. There had been a better couplet before that near McVeytown in Mifflin County with an area of 70kt winds relatively low in the atmosphere (radar beam heights at both places are approx 2k feet). Didn't see any reports out of that area though that I'm aware of. 

NOUS41 KCTP 162024
PNSCTP
PAZ012-045-170030-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA
424 PM EDT FRI MAY 16 2014

...TORNADO CONFIRMED NEAR LOCK HAVEN IN CLINTON COUNTY
PENNSYLVANIA...

LOCATION...LOCK HAVEN IN CLINTON COUNTY PENNSYLVANIA
DATE...MAY 15 2014
ESTIMATED TIME...7:03 PM EDT
MAXIMUM EF-SCALE RATING...EF0
ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED...AROUND 75 MPH
MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH...100 YARDS
PATH LENGTH... 1/3 MILE
BEGINNING LAT/LON...41.133 -77.431
ENDING LAT/LON...41.137 -77.428
* FATALITIES...0
* INJURIES...0

* THE INFORMATION IN THIS STATEMENT IS PRELIMINARY AND SUBJECT TO
CHANGE PENDING FINAL REVIEW OF THE EVENT(S) AND PUBLICATION IN
NWS STORM DATA.

...SUMMARY...
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE PA HAS CONFIRMED A
TORNADO OCCURRED NEAR LOCK HAVEN IN CLINTON COUNTY PENNSYLVANIA
ON MAY 15 2014.

THE TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN NEAR THE SOUTHERN MOST POINT OF RACE
STREET JUST SOUTHWEST OF THE WILLIAM T. PIPER MEMORIAL AIRPORT.
THE WEAK TORNADO PEALED BACK A PORTION OF A ROOF OF A
WAREHOUSE...AND PARTIALLY LIFTED THE ROOF...ALLOWING PORTIONS OF
AN EXTERIOR WALL TO COLLAPSE OUTWARD. THE TORNADO TRAVELED
NORTHWARD ALONG RACY STREET...TOPPLING A CHIMNEY...THEN LIFTING A
CARPORT AND THROWING IT 25 YARDS INTO ANOTHER HOUSE. THE TORNADO
TURNED TO THE NORTHEAST...CROSSED ROUTE 15O...THEN KNOCKED OVER
SEVERAL LARGE TREES AND SNAPPED A NUMBER OF LARGE LIMBS. THE
TORNADO DISSIPATED NEAR EAST WATER STREET BETWEEN RACE STREET AND
CLARK BARN ROAD. THE TORNADO WAS RATED AN EF0 TORNADO...WITH
MAXIMUM WINDS AROUND 75 MPH. THERE WERE NO INJURIES OR DEATHS.

THIS INFORMATION CAN ALSO BE FOUND ON OUR WEBSITE AT
WEATHER.GOV/CTP.

FOR REFERENCE...THE ENHANCED FUJITA SCALE CLASSIFIES TORNADOES
INTO THE FOLLOWING CATEGORIES:

EF0...WIND SPEEDS 65 TO 85 MPH.
EF1...WIND SPEEDS 86 TO 110 MPH.
EF2...WIND SPEEDS 111 TO 135 MPH.
EF3...WIND SPEEDS 136 TO 165 MPH.
EF4...WIND SPEEDS 166 TO 200 MPH.
EF5...WIND SPEEDS GREATER THAN 200 MPH.

$

JUNG

and it doesn't look like it is close enough to the ground that the period of very heavy rain would have caused a splash effect either... the first line just missed me last night so maybe he caught enough of the edge... I had only about .40" around 9pm last night

It's really crazy to have that much difference from where you are to here. It's not that far. 

Wiz, I had heard about that and saw a post from Zak about it but not sure. Is there looking like a potential for Wed?

Yeah I've been watching Wednesday for a few days now.  GFS and the Euro (to a degree) have a remnant EML plume move into the area and with a more westerly flow towards the sfc that allows for some higher theta-e air to work in along with higher dewpoints.  GFS develops some fairly decent instability across western PA along with some pretty decent shear aloft...would like to see sfc winds though a bit more out of the SW as opposed to west.  

What's the main threat? Linear wind threat and or hail??

Would think wind, however, hail would be a threat as well given steep lapse rates and potential for strong vertical shear.  Still a bit messy though b/c it really depends on if/where the warm front clears and how much heating could occur.  Best potential may end up being west over the OV region.  

Hai.

I'd like some real heat. I know some of you guys hate summer, but too goddamn bad. After freezing, I'd like to roast.

And a nice severe thunderstorm, too.

I don't want to count "90 degree days" on half a hand. But something says I will.

Bai.

Hai.

I'd like some real heat. I know some of you guys hate summer, but too goddamn bad. After freezing, I'd like to roast.

And a nice severe thunderstorm, too.

I don't want to count "90 degree days" on half a hand. But something says I will.

Bai.

This, we need some nice extremes up in here. Tomorrow and Thursday could be interesting, maybe a few flashes of lightning here or there?

Archived