Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA & Fringes - Autumn dawns

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I pretty much agree with this assessment.  Truly awful March.  I wonder if State College has ever before had a March that had a >5° negative departure and only a trace of snow.

I looked into that.  The 1981-2010 normal March monthly mean temperature is 37.3F, so I queried for all Marches in the climate record whose mean temperature was less than 32.3F.  That includes the following Marches:

2014, 1970, 1947, 1932, 1950, 1941, 1996, 1915, 1900, 1940, 1906, 1896, 1916, 1984, 1960

Of those, the snowfall total for only 1915 was missing.  Otherwise, using a 1981-2010 March normal snowfall of 10.0" as my basis, the only one of those Marches, besides 2014, that had below-normal snowfall was 1996, with 9.0" (so, just barely below normal).  The other Marches on that list generally had much-above-normal snowfall.  

I looked into that.  The 1981-2010 normal March monthly mean temperature is 37.3F, so I queried for all Marches in the climate record whose mean temperature was less than 32.3F.  That includes the following Marches:

2014, 1970, 1947, 1932, 1950, 1941, 1996, 1915, 1900, 1940, 1906, 1896, 1916, 1984, 1960

Of those, the snowfall total for only 1915 was missing.  Otherwise, using a 1981-2010 March normal snowfall of 10.0" as my basis, the only one of those Marches, besides 2014, that had below-normal snowfall was 1996, with 9.0" (so, just barely below normal).  The other Marches on that list generally had much-above-normal snowfall.  

Cool...I figured as much. March 1915 had 15.1" total snowfall according to my spreadsheet...so no March as cold as this year has ever come close to striking out on snow...even worse than I imagined.

we may just string a couple 70 degree days together......

I think we hit the 70 degree mark tomorrow... continual increasing sun angle mixed with lack of foliage on trees and drying soil with these low dew points combined with significant warm air advection are why I think we end up several degrees above forecast values on Thursday.  Not good conditions for brush fires with a warm and breezy dry wind.

I think we hit the 70 degree mark tomorrow... continual increasing sun angle mixed with lack of foliage on trees and drying soil with these low dew points combined with significant warm air advection are why I think we end up several degrees above forecast values on Thursday.  Not good conditions for brush fires with a warm and breezy dry wind.

Looking pretty good up here for a >40° temperature swing today.  Low of 26° this morning and I think we should see 68-70° this afternoon.

CTP mentioning possible fire risk and chance of headlines later today.

Looking pretty good up here for a >40° temperature swing today.  Low of 26° this morning and I think we should see 68-70° this afternoon.

CTP mentioning possible fire risk and chance of headlines later today.

Just ideal mixing conditions today with full sunshine and 10-15 kt SW surface winds. As a result, I think we could mix above 800 mb today. Upper 60s look good here and I wouldn't be shocked if a few places in central PA did get to 70.

The period of Saturday through Monday is looking warm as well which could kick start more significant plant growth.

Just ideal mixing conditions today with full sunshine and 10-15 kt SW surface winds. As a result, I think we could mix above 800 mb today. Upper 60s look good here and I wouldn't be shocked if a few places in central PA did get to 70.

The period of Saturday through Monday is looking warm as well which could kick start more significant plant growth.

Plant baby, plant!  Going to harden off my tomato and basil seedlings all weekend.  Annual flowers getting started as well.

Already a 44° rise here from 26° to 70°.  Might tack on another degree or two.  Fantastic day.

Interesting difference between the local microclimates in the region; it's currently 66F at the walker building after a morning low of 37F.

Being 400-500' lower than State College/campus helps Bellefonte on both ends on days like today. Up to 71°, that should probably do it for our high.

Looks like UNV has 68/34 so far for the day.

Being 400-500' lower than State College/campus helps Bellefonte on both ends on days like today. Up to 71°, that should probably do it for our high.

Looks like UNV has 68/34 so far for the day.

Yeah the elevation difference probably gives that area better cold drainage at night and better downsloping during the day.

I've noticed driving around that there are some fairly steep valleys, especially west of I-80.

Yeah the elevation difference probably gives that area better cold drainage at night and better downsloping during the day.

I've noticed driving around that there are some fairly steep valleys, especially west of I-80.

It can make a huge difference, especially WRT cold drainage. 10-15° differences on calm mornings are common.

Ended up at 72° yesterday afternoon for a 46° rise...that's about the highest I've seen for this area I think.

Archived