Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & Fringes - Autumn dawns

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

under a flood watch and a wwa here: 2 to 5 inches here with  ice.....

...VERY HAZARDOUS TRAVEL FROM SNOW AND ICE IN MUCH OF NORTHEAST
PENNSYLVANIA AND IN CENTRAL NEW YORK MAINLY EAST OF A UTICA TO
VESTAL NEW YORK LINE...

Roads are a disaster here. most schools have delayed start tomorrow. I am not sure how long it will snow tonight, but it keeps coming down, then we will see closings. have no doubt that a lot of schools will close. :sled:

Amazing. If this isn't a southern winter I don't know what is.

This one managed to get your hometown half decently, and further up into NE PA and up to BGM is getting hammered with warnings hoisted up for 5-10". It's been a pretty interesting storm today, I didn't think there was gonna be much of anything in the Sus Valley from any changeover, but that band of precip has meant business for the folks that managed to be affected by it.

Also, the latest PNS.. warning totals in Sullivan and Northumberland:

...LATEST SNOWFALL REPORTS...

LOCATION AMOUNT TIME/DATE

...PENNSYLVANIA...

...ADAMS COUNTY...
ABBOTTSTOWN 1 S 2.1 IN 0715 PM 03/30
HANOVER 5 S 2.0 IN 0500 PM 03/30
YORK SPRINGS 0.5 IN 0735 PM 03/30

...BLAIR COUNTY...
POINT VIEW 2.0 IN 0400 PM 03/30
HOLIDAYSBURG 2.0 IN 1130 AM 03/30
FRANKSTOWN 1.0 IN 1215 PM 03/30
ALTOONA 1.0 IN 0800 AM 03/30

...CAMBRIA COUNTY...
CRESSON 1.5 IN 1030 AM 03/30
BELMONT 0.6 IN 0800 AM 03/30
JOHNSTOWN 0.5 IN 1030 AM 03/30

...CENTRE COUNTY...
PHILIPSBURG 2.0 IN 1015 AM 03/30

...CLEARFIELD COUNTY...
WALLACETON 2.0 IN 0845 AM 03/30
MORRISDALE 1.5 IN 0800 AM 03/30
GRAMPIAN 1.0 IN 0600 AM 03/30

...COLUMBIA COUNTY...
BLOOMSBURG 3.2 IN 0815 PM 03/30

...DAUPHIN COUNTY...
ELIZABETHVILLE 3.0 IN 0825 PM 03/30
FORT HUNTER 1.8 IN 0645 PM 03/30
LINGLESTOWN 0.5 IN 0415 PM 03/30

...MCKEAN COUNTY...
BRADFORD 2.0 IN 1030 AM 03/30
1 NNE KANE 1.0 IN 0700 AM 03/30
4 W BRADFORD 1.0 IN 0800 AM 03/30

...MONTOUR COUNTY...
DANVILLE 1.0 IN 0616 PM 03/30

...NORTHUMBERLAND COUNTY...
SHAMOKIN 7.0 IN 0815 PM 03/30
PAXINOS 5.0 IN 0825 PM 03/30

...SCHUYLKILL COUNTY...
ASHLAND 3.5 IN 0740 PM 03/30

...SOMERSET COUNTY...
LAUREL SUMMIT 4.2 IN 0700 AM 03/30
BOSWELL 0.5 IN 0800 AM 03/30
SOMERSET 0.5 IN 0800 AM 03/30

...SULLIVAN COUNTY...
RICKETTS GLEN SP 10.0 IN 1030 PM 03/30
MILDRED 3.0 IN 1030 PM 03/30

...TIOGA COUNTY...
COWANESQUE DAM 3.5 IN 0700 AM 03/30

...WARREN COUNTY...
CHANDLERS VALLEY 3.0 IN 0700 AM 03/30
WARREN 2.0 IN 0700 AM 03/30
KINZUA 1.0 IN 0700 AM 03/30

...YORK COUNTY...
NEW SALEM 2 SW 3.0 IN 0900 PM 03/30
MENGES MILLS 3 SSW 2.5 IN 0520 PM 03/30
STEWARTSTOWN 1.0 IN 0900 PM 03/30
DALLASTOWN 1.0 IN 0830 PM 03/30
DOVER 1.0 IN 0720 PM 03/30

I had about an inch of frozen slush this morning with temp at 36... almost nothing left in the city with temps already into the 40s

the storm drain out front of the house was flooded with a river running down the road trying to find somewhere else to go... after just over a half an inch of precip for the first 28 days of the month I had 3.41" in about 30 hours

it's crazy how many days of 2"+ days of rain I have seen since moving here (Harrisburg area)

we had about 3 inches here, roads were messy early. I have heard of reports new 10 inches in Red Rock and 7 inches in Wayne county.  The bottom line was the forecast was a mess. The whole area went from an inch or two to 2 to 5 or more. the storm was also a storm of miles, two miles away from me they got 6 or more inches of snow.  One of the reports from upstate PA had  no snow on one side of town and 6 inches on the other side.

we had about 3 inches here, roads were messy early. I have heard of reports new 10 inches in Red Rock and 7 inches in Wayne county. The bottom line was the forecast was a mess. The whole area went from an inch or two to 2 to 5 or more. the storm was also a storm of miles, two miles away from me they got 6 or more inches of snow. One of the reports from upstate PA had no snow on one side of town and 6 inches on the other side.

That. Band setup and never moved. It was like Lake Effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From CTP:

A challenging storm to forecast over the past 48 hours in terms of localized very heavy rain, and a narrow, stationary snow band at the tail end of the event Sunday afternoon and Evening. This visible satellite image highlights the few areas of central and eastern PA that had several inches or more of heavy wet snowfall. Ricketts Glen State Park Office at the top of Red Rock Mountain (Elevation 2449 FT MSL) in Sullivan County takes the prize with 12 inches of snow late Sunday! A large swath of the Central Ridge and Valley Region had periods of light snow during the day Sunday, but received no snow accumulation

post-1389-0-78383600-1396284224_thumb.jp

Wait, we're already moving on? The other thread was only at some 250 replies...

Whoops, thought we went new thread every month.  Mod feel free to delete/merge/whatever.

Yeah let's keep this one going to 1,000. I merged the new thread in and renamed it appropriately.

Absolutely gorgeous weather out there with 60F and sun. Typical early spring day where the models underestimate the mixing as well as some downsloping NNW winds.

When I saw it was almost 100% clear at 7AM this morning, I figured the forecast highs in the low/mid-50s were in trouble.  Up to 63° in Bellefonte.

My thoughts on the Winter passed...

December: B. Nice solid snow event around midmonth made this a good month, though it was meh'd a bit by another lack of White Christmas thanks to a torch right before the holiday. But an okay start for sure.

January: B+. Good bit of snow to be had, lots and lots of cold air. Stinger was the post-MLK storm swinging off to our south and east.

February: A. One of the best stretches of winter I can ever remember between 2/4 and 2/20 with near 30" of snow, at one point a snow depth nearing 20", and again plenty of cold air around. Fantastic month overall, and looked to be setting up for a spectacular end. Unfortunately...

March: F. Two storms look like a 12"+ event for all of PA before suddenly trending south and becoming DC events. Lots of cold air to keep Spring away but no snow to show for it...in March, if it's not going to snow, forget the cold. Horrific month and a thud end to a solid winter - it's like leading 35-3 heading into the 4th quarter of a football game but only winning 35-31.

Overall grade: B.

My thoughts on the Winter passed...

December: B. Nice solid snow event around midmonth made this a good month, though it was meh'd a bit by another lack of White Christmas thanks to a torch right before the holiday. But an okay start for sure.

January: B+. Good bit of snow to be had, lots and lots of cold air. Stinger was the post-MLK storm swinging off to our south and east.

February: A. One of the best stretches of winter I can ever remember between 2/4 and 2/20 with near 30" of snow, at one point a snow depth nearing 20", and again plenty of cold air around. Fantastic month overall, and looked to be setting up for a spectacular end. Unfortunately...

March: F. Two storms look like a 12"+ event for all of PA before suddenly trending south and becoming DC events. Lots of cold air to keep Spring away but no snow to show for it...in March, if it's not going to snow, forget the cold. Horrific month and a thud end to a solid winter - it's like leading 35-3 heading into the 4th quarter of a football game but only winning 35-31.

Overall grade: B.

I pretty much agree with this assessment.  Truly awful March.  I wonder if State College has ever before had a March that had a >5° negative departure and only a trace of snow.

I pretty much agree with this assessment.  Truly awful March.  I wonder if State College has ever before had a March that had a >5° negative departure and only a trace of snow.

DGEX this morning says the massive crushing end of the season snow event still happens for you guys. 975mb low right over my house and tons of deform snow over the NY/PA Appalachian spine. Count it as done!!

If you believe the 00z EURO, April 11-12 is ruined.  My fiancee's bridal shower is that weekend too. . .

Lol that euro run wants another DC/VA snowstorm by the looks of it. Most guidance has some form of a storm mid-late next week with the big amplification in the pattern thats being progged. Hopefully whatever happens recovers quickly for that weekend. 

Lol that euro run wants another DC/VA snowstorm by the looks of it. Most guidance has some form of a storm mid-late next week with the big amplification in the pattern thats being progged. Hopefully whatever happens recovers quickly for that weekend. 

If James Franklin's 80K for Blue/White is to come to fruition...

Archived