joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2014 General Discussion

Geos

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rainy afternoon and evening on tap for LAF today.

2.41" of rainfall on the month so far, and with a fairly active look to the pattern, an above normal month (precipitation) is a lock. I guess the number to shoot for is the 8.35" total of last April. Tall task, but you never know. 

Amazing ice picture Snow Freak! No ice whatsoever on the rivers or Lake Michigan anymore around here. Little patches of ice still remain on some small lakes and ponds though.

---

Typical spring day for the date today.

Amazing ice picture Snow Freak! No ice whatsoever on the rivers or Lake Michigan anymore around here. Little patches of ice still remain on some small lakes and ponds though.

---

---

Thanks. I didnt even realize it. I had to run to the post office, and when I went to turn on the main street in downtown Wyandotte, I looked towards the River and saw this bright white contrasting with the brownish grass and gray sky..so of course after my errands I stopped to the park to walk along the water. I truly was surprised at how much ice was flowing downriver.

0.91" so far today at LAF. Solid rainmaker.

Getting hammered here too, although the sweet spot of the pivot may be just a few miles northwest of here.  Haven't checked the gauge this evening, but we should be nearing an inch. Coupled with the previous rain, it's quite a wet start to April. 

Getting hammered here too, although the sweet spot of the pivot may be just a few miles northwest of here.  Haven't checked the gauge this evening, but we should be nearing an inch. Coupled with the previous rain, it's quite a wet start to April. 

Considering the presentation of the storm (track, defo band, etc), it would've been a pretty good LAF-FWA snowstorm. Alas...

Anyways, indeed it's been a wet month thus far. Only need another 0.22" to reach the April normal precipitation for LAF. 

Heres a vid I grabbed on my phone of the ice floating down the river this afternoon. Not the best quality, but the clinking of the ice is always a cool sound to hear in person.

It would be cool watching those ice chunks go over Niagara Falls!

---

Hanging in the mid 40s right now with showers to the west that seem to be stationary.

Thanks. I didnt even realize it. I had to run to the post office, and when I went to turn on the main street in downtown Wyandotte, I looked towards the River and saw this bright white contrasting with the brownish grass and gray sky..so of course after my errands I stopped to the park to walk along the water. I truly was surprised at how much ice was flowing downriver.

Neat. You can see from satellite shots that this is from the break up of the ice on Lake St. Clair that is now flowing southward. There probably wasn't much ice flowing a few days ago when the lake was mostly frozen.

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/webdata/cwops/html/modis/modis.php?region=e&page=1

Neat. You can see from satellite shots that this is from the break up of the ice on Lake St. Clair that is now flowing southward. There probably wasn't much ice flowing a few days ago when the lake was mostly frozen.

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/webdata/cwops/html/modis/modis.php?region=e&page=1

Thanks for the link!

Considering the presentation of the storm (track, defo band, etc), it would've been a pretty good LAF-FWA snowstorm. Alas...

Anyways, indeed it's been a wet month thus far. Only need another 0.22" to reach the April normal precipitation for LAF. 

I was going to mention that in my post last, but didn't want to come across as a whiner after the winter we've had. But, man, what could have been.

I didn't get quite as much rain as I guessed, coming in at .86".  We're near our monthly April average, and FWA is almost 8" above normal for the year.

We've got another chance on Thursday afternoon/evening although that wave looks to be washing out as it gets here. LAF has the better chance for measurable on that one. then Sunday evening brings another shot of possibly heavy rain.

The beat goes on, only warmer.

Dry air held on for a considerable amount of time yesterday. Ended up with just under a half inch or rain at KARB

DTW had 0.47" with just 0.31" at DET. I picked up 0.52". Easily the wettest event since the March 12th snowstorm, but its interesting that...in my backyard at least...every rain event of spring has underperformed after a winter of largely overperforming snowstorms.

DTW had 0.47" with just 0.31" at DET. I picked up 0.52". Easily the wettest event since the March 12th snowstorm, but its interesting that...in my backyard at least...every rain event of spring has underperformed after a winter of largely overperforming snowstorms.

Like I say in March 12 was it in this area for some reason on March 13 the shutoff valve has been turned!! <_<

Guess the good part is it prevented a lot of flooding in SE MI.  :lol:

Hopefully it doesn't last long as I would like a nice stormy May and June (i.e. Thunderstorms that is).

It actually produced 1"+ QPF amounts across IN, so the amounts verified, just not the placement. 

This was because of the low tracking further SE than progged, thanks to the Gulf Coast convection.

It actually produced 1"+ QPF amounts across IN, so the amounts verified, just not the placement.

This was because of the low tracking further SE than progged, thanks to the Gulf Coast convection.

Yeah. There was 0.80-1.00" liquid here and we were only progged to get 0.5". Definitely an over performer farther south.

Like I say in March 12 was it in this area for some reason on March 13 the shutoff valve has been turned!! <_<

Guess the good part is it prevented a lot of flooding in SE MI. :lol:

Hopefully it doesn't last long as I would like a nice stormy May and June (i.e. Thunderstorms that is).

you could not have asked for better conditions to melt the record snowpack. It was the perfect script. Wish we could see that kind of snowpack and melt every year lol

Archived