• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2014 General Discussion

Geos

Looks wet here through the end of the week. 12z NAM has 1.46" and the GFS has 2.15"...both totals through 0z 4/5. And naturally, the 12z NAM ends it with 0.3" of snow at LAF.

Also, wouldn't be surprised to see some frozen here sometime in the April 7-10 timeframe. 

Ensembles look cool through the middle of the month. The beat goes on. 

Yeah, I don't think we've seen our last flakes.  Whether we get anything measurable...

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yum!  I would love 20+ inches of snow right now!  Can't wait...lock it in :)

Some sunshine now, hurricane winds have relented some.  Thought the house was going to blow away late last nite with near 40 southwest winds (which were ice cold)...27F this morning.

chances of NAM coming through?!  Every other model pretty much gives us a boatload of cold rain/slop

12z NAM goes bonkers. Worthless range for it of course, but I hope it doesn't come to fruition exactly as portrayed...for cyclone's mental well being. :whistle:   ;)   :D

attachicon.gif4:1 12z nam clown.gif

Haha I may have to get fitted for a straight jacket lol.  Hey at least Hawkeye would finally break his streak.  :snowing:

Was overcast and windy here all day.  Stayed in the 40s.

Boo. No one played along with my April Fools joke! :fulltilt:

High of 68 today and sun.

Haha - I do remember you mentioning snow this morning. Didn't really register with me though.  :lmao:

---

NAM going pretty far NW this time around with the snow. 

We enjoyed boondocking the 5-6 feet in Grand Marias, what's another 2 feet?

I just love that area too.  Planning a summer vacation there in Muskallonge .  Hopefully the ice before we get there ... :lol:

The SREF mean for the Keweenaw is nearly 21" with this storm ... :snowing:  ... wish I could take a trip up there as this looks like perfect Western-UP track.  4 Ski Trips this winter have run me a bit dry so its not gonna happen. :D

As far as that storm in the day 5-6 range, so we get a perfect big storm track with tons of moisture/dynamics when there's hardly any cold air for snow.

Yep, seems legit to me...

At this point all I want is Flint get at least 1/2" and DTW get at least 2" so we can hopefully put those records to bed. Of course I would take more.  April 2005 snowstorm followed 80 degree weather.  There is still cold around!!

At this point all I want is Flint get at least 1/2" and DTW get at least 2" so we can hopefully put those records to bed. Of course I would take more. April 2005 snowstorm followed 80 degree weather. There is still cold around!!

My post was tongue-in-cheek (sort of), and yes I know it CAN and HAS happened, but climo says don't hold your breath.

As far as the April 2005 storm, that one was different in several ways, one of which being it was northern stream dominant (the day 5-6 storm is going to be a southern stream/gulf coast low).

My post was tongue-in-cheek (sort of), and yes I know it CAN and HAS happened, but climo says don't hold your breath.

As far as the April 2005 storm, that one was different in several ways, one of which being it was northern stream dominant (the day 5-6 storm is going to be a southern stream/gulf coast low).

Last I checked Climo it says snowstorms are a definite possibility in this area during the month of April. 

Did I say April 2005 was the exact same set up :rolleyes:

Pretty Amazing....After this next storm, Keweenaw will pass 300" in spots.  Kinda hard to imagine, but I can say truthfully, I don't think I would want that much.  My area, according to the map has seen 150-175" on the map..... much closer to the high end.  Petoskey is now 180" to date,  and needs 3.9" to break their record and it looks like a lock.  My area totals are anywhere form 170-190", it varies so great.  Lot's of local orchard growers/farmers keep their own totals without reporting them. 

As far as April1st snow depth, I am down to 15".  Piles  in the several feet range still.  Driveway still packed in ice in spots.

After my second Winter, a few locals have asked me if I'm ready to leave yet....  Apparently lots of people move here, and upon realizing a Winter or two, decide to split.  When all is said and done, I will have had 150+ days with snow cover, and close to 4 months of that time, it was measured in feet.  I can't say leaving the area has crossed my mind, but I will say my Winter resolve was tested like no other time before. 

So after my second full Winter in the NW lower snow belt, my view of snow has changed drastically since Indiana.  In Indiana a 12" snow was the pinnacle for me.  Here, a 12" snow will happen! 

Archived