joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2014 General Discussion

Geos

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last I checked Climo it says snowstorms are a definite possibility in this area during the month of April.

Did I say April 2005 was the exact same set up :rolleyes:

Anything's possible if you phrase it right. :lol:

Snowstorms are possible in April, but they're the exception and not the rule. Otherwise, Detroit wouldn't ONLY average 1.7" of snow in April.

Regading the favorable track and lack of cold air disc...we actually seem to get a "favorable track" more frequently here lately....which is why 6-12" snowstorms are occurring at a much higher frequency than normal. Obviously in the spring there is more moisture to work with, so its not a surprise you will see more qpf. Kind of simple really. April can be known to have miserable, cold rainstorms...and its very common to get a bit of snow at the onset or end of said storms, but only in rare instances when the cold can get wrapped into the storm do we see a big April snowstorm. Just give us 2" somehow and all should be satisfied.

Pretty Amazing....After this next storm, Keweenaw will pass 300" in spots.  Kinda hard to imagine, but I can say truthfully, I don't think I would want that much.  My area, according to the map has seen 150-175" on the map..... much closer to the high end.  Petoskey is now 180" to date,  and needs 3.9" to break their record and it looks like a lock.  My area totals are anywhere form 170-190", it varies so great.  Lot's of local orchard growers/farmers keep their own totals without reporting them. 

As far as April1st snow depth, I am down to 15".  Piles  in the several feet range still.  Driveway still packed in ice in spots.

After my second Winter, a few locals have asked me if I'm ready to leave yet....  Apparently lots of people move here, and upon realizing a Winter or two, decide to split.  When all is said and done, I will have had 150+ days with snow cover, and close to 4 months of that time, it was measured in feet.  I can't say leaving the area has crossed my mind, but I will say my Winter resolve was tested like no other time before. 

So after my second full Winter in the NW lower snow belt, my view of snow has changed drastically since Indiana.  In Indiana a 12" snow was the pinnacle for me.  Here, a 12" snow will happen! 

attachicon.gifseason_s.png

Way too low in SE MI and NW OH

Was actually a lot nicer today than yesterday even though it was a bit cooler, since there wasn't any wind. Made it up to 57 unless we hit an intra-hour high at some point.

As someone else pointed out, lots of crocuses sprung into bloom yesterday. I wasn't expecting them for a week or two still, but they are putting on quite a show already.

Was actually a lot nicer today than yesterday even though it was a bit cooler, since there wasn't any wind. Made it up to 57 unless we hit an intra-hour high at some point.

As someone else pointed out, lots of crocuses sprung into bloom yesterday. I wasn't expecting them for a week or two still, but they are putting on quite a show already.

Didnt notice...but I figured the second the snow melted they would spring up. They are already very late, as they are usually the first sign of anything spring.

Spring has definitely sprung...but my neighbors shaded, spruce needle covered snow pile refuses to die lol

4019-800.jpg

1.29" at LAF so far today. Solid. Flood Warnings galore for central Indiana.

BOONE-CARROLL-CLINTON-DELAWARE-FOUNTAIN-HAMILTON-HENDRICKS-HENRY-
HOWARD-MADISON-MONTGOMERY-PARKE-PUTNAM-RANDOLPH-TIPPECANOE-TIPTON-
VERMILLION-VIGO-WARREN-
855 AM EDT THU APR 3 2014

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN INDIANAPOLIS HAS ISSUED A

* FLOOD WARNING FOR...
BOONE COUNTY IN CENTRAL INDIANA...
CLINTON COUNTY IN CENTRAL INDIANA...
DELAWARE COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL INDIANA...
FOUNTAIN COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL INDIANA...
HAMILTON COUNTY IN CENTRAL INDIANA...
HOWARD COUNTY IN CENTRAL INDIANA...
MADISON COUNTY IN CENTRAL INDIANA...
MONTGOMERY COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL INDIANA...
NORTHERN HENRY COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL INDIANA...
NORTHERN PUTNAM COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL INDIANA...
NORTHERN VIGO COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL INDIANA...
NORTHWESTERN HENDRICKS COUNTY IN CENTRAL INDIANA...
PARKE COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL INDIANA...
RANDOLPH COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL INDIANA...
SOUTHERN CARROLL COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL INDIANA...
TIPPECANOE COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL INDIANA...
TIPTON COUNTY IN CENTRAL INDIANA...
VERMILLION COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL INDIANA...
WARREN COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL INDIANA...

* UNTIL 300 PM EDT THURSDAY

* AT 851 AM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED
THUNDERSTORMS WITH VERY HEAVY RAINFALL ACROSS THE WARNED AREA.
RADAR RAINFALL ESTIMATES OF 2 TO 3 INCHES OF RAIN HAVE OCCURRED
WITH MORE RAIN ON THE WAY THIS MORNING.

* RUNOFF FROM THIS EXCESSIVE RAINFALL WILL CAUSE FLOODING TO OCCUR.
SOME LOCATIONS THAT WILL EXPERIENCE FLOODING INCLUDE...ANDERSON...
CRAWFORDSVILLE...FRANKFORT...KOKOMO...LAFAYETTE...MUNCIE...
ALEXANDRIA...CARMEL...CLINTON...COVINGTON...ELWOOD...FISHERS...
LEBANON...NEWPORT...NOBLESVILLE...ROCKVILLE...TIPTON...
VEEDERSBURG...WEST LAFAYETTE...WILLIAMSPORT...WINCHESTER AND
ZIONSVILLE.

FLOODING WAS REPORTED ALONG PARTS OF SR28 AND US41 IN WILLIAMSPORT.

Should be a fun Cubs home opener tomorrow with wind gusts into the low 40's.

Most of my area got very little overnight, but one tiny storm moved over me and dropped a bit of small hail and 0.22" of rain.  I don't think I've ever been so pumped for spring lightning & thunder.

It would be nice if we could get another decent shower this evening.  We only got 0.60" of rain in March and the next 7-10 days look very dry.

I must admit I miss the excitement of snow chasing already. I went out to move a few monster snow piles a few days back and was reminiscing on the winter which has passed.

As for spring I am rushing to get all the equipment ready and finishing the winter projects which never got started. There wasn't a true long lasting break in the weather till a few weeks ago so I am way behind. Soon I will be moving dirt, planting seed and washing full time. I don't think there will be much of a break in between seasons this year. Got lots of sun yesterday, I can feel the tightness in my face today.....

Pretty Amazing....After this next storm, Keweenaw will pass 300" in spots.  Kinda hard to imagine, but I can say truthfully, I don't think I would want that much.  My area, according to the map has seen 150-175" on the map..... much closer to the high end.  Petoskey is now 180" to date,  and needs 3.9" to break their record and it looks like a lock.  My area totals are anywhere form 170-190", it varies so great.  Lot's of local orchard growers/farmers keep their own totals without reporting them. 

As far as April1st snow depth, I am down to 15".  Piles  in the several feet range still.  Driveway still packed in ice in spots.

After my second Winter, a few locals have asked me if I'm ready to leave yet....  Apparently lots of people move here, and upon realizing a Winter or two, decide to split.  When all is said and done, I will have had 150+ days with snow cover, and close to 4 months of that time, it was measured in feet.  I can't say leaving the area has crossed my mind, but I will say my Winter resolve was tested like no other time before. 

So after my second full Winter in the NW lower snow belt, my view of snow has changed drastically since Indiana.  In Indiana a 12" snow was the pinnacle for me.  Here, a 12" snow will happen! 

attachicon.gifseason_s.png

Ha, not sure what to think about this winter when it is all said and done. Need a couple months to recuperate! I will say that the map is not 100% accurate especially over my area. I am well over 150" actually at 172" according to NWS which is about 2 miles from my house. But at this point who really care and I maybe just splitting hairs. Still have about 18" in my yard, not melting fast enough for my liking. 

This had the potential of an epic winter up here, but with the lake ice had other ideas, although some areas south west did way better then normal. I am ready for spring/summer, then bring on next winter.

Archived