amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
April 2014 General Discussion

Geos

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you could not have asked for better conditions to melt the record snowpack. It was the perfect script. Wish we could see that kind of snowpack and melt every year lol

I know what your saying and it was for the best BUT you should know me as I would have preferred the heavy rains and flooding the past couple weeks  :whistle:  :D   :P   Oh course it helps knowing my yard can't flood (unless Detroit is under 300'+ of water)  ;) 

I know what your saying and it was for the best BUT you should know me as I would have preferred the heavy rains and flooding the past couple weeks  :whistle:  :D   :P   Oh course it helps knowing my yard can't flood (unless Detroit is under 300'+ of water)  ;)

I'm in the same boat (ha!) with you. Slow melt was pretty boring, rivers haven't really jumped their banks around here and with such a prime flood setup this year I'm a little bummed. Love seeing a raging river and I've yet to shoot a really good timelapse of the Grand River, Nith River or Sixteen Mile Creek (some personal favourites) rising and falling, a personal goal of mine.

Thurs-Fri system should keep river levels up with maybe another 0.5" of rain and warm temps should melt all the remaining snow which sets up the weekend system pretty well. GFS has us getting 1"+ with that system so that could do the trick.

Amazing amt of ice still on L Superior... this could be a heck of a spring/summer if we can get some NE wind in here a few times....

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/wisc/

Clouds just came out of nowhere here in the past half hour...

its amazing. I never recall the Detroit river have thismuch ice here the 2nd week of april. The upper peninsula can kiss summer goodbye this year lol

6z managed something less.

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/showmap-conussfc.php?run=2014040906&time=PER&var=ASNOWI&hour=150

EURO turned into a mainly wet frontal passage system, except for northern lower MI.

according to the link in use for euro it still shows measurable snow for chicago and detroit. Gem was similar to gfs

snowpack is in quick retreat.  Depth ranges from a few inches in open areas to 15-20" up in the backyard by the woods.

Closest long term climate station to me is Petoskey.  Their season total is 183.1"..... Record is 183.9"..... would like to see an inch just to break the record, then on to Spring.

Such a beautiful Spring day!

snowpack is in quick retreat.  Depth ranges from a few inches in open areas to 15-20" up in the backyard by the woods.

Closest long term climate station to me is Petoskey.  Their season total is 183.1"..... Record is 183.9"..... would like to see an inch just to break the record, then on to Spring.

Such a beautiful Spring day!

I could finally see well defined water around the edges of the lake by my house ... today should help get rid of more ice and I should be ice free by the weekend!! :frostymelt::sun:

It would be nice for them to break the record.  1" in Petoskey and 1/2" at Flint is all that is needed.  Maybe just maybe with next weeks front / system.  We'll see...

lol Geos is so anti cold/snow. Can read it in every post the last month.

Definitely.

I may not want to see snow until November of 2015!  :lmao:

---

Up into the mid 50s now. SW winds starting to push the weak lake breeze back out.

So the NAM wants to bring 70's into the area and then blows up thunderstorms along the warm front with 1000j/kg SBCAPE on Saturday.

I would keep an eye on this one, it doesn't take much to get things interesting with a warm front, 1000 j/kg is plenty of instability this time of year, though the NAM is surprisingly lacking in the shear department along the warm front. I would suspect more shear than currently being shown.

Edit: That being said when looking at a point sounding for 21z near Chicago, it does show some shear with height.

00_NAM_069_42.13,-87.94_skewt_SB.gif

So the NAM wants to bring 70's into the area and then blows up thunderstorms along the warm front with 1000j/kg SBCAPE on Saturday.

Yeah definitely decent CAPE on the NAM. Chasera should be getting pretty excited now.

NAM_221_2014041000_F72_CAPE_90_0_MB_ABOV

I would keep an eye on this one, it doesn't take much to get things interesting with a warm front, 1000 j/kg is plenty of instability this time of year, though the NAM is surprisingly lacking in the shear department along the warm front. I would suspect more shear than currently being shown.

Edit: That being said when looking at a point sounding for 21z near Chicago, it does show some shear with height.

00_NAM_069_42.13,-87.94_skewt_SB.gif

It definitely has my interest, too bad the NAM is on its own with regards to the evolution of this weekend system.

It definitely has my interest, too bad the NAM is on its own with regards to the evolution of this weekend system.

GFS actually is pretty similar on warm frontal placement maybe a bit south. The major difference is the GFS has the temperatures grossly underdone. I think the NAM's thermodynamic profile is not unreasonable along and just south of the warm front compared to the GFS's lower temperatures.

gfsCGP_sfc_temp_069.gif

I would take these temperatures across IA/IL/S WI and probably add 5 to as much as 10 degrees to them. The main issue with the GFS is that it is too moist through the mid levels, thus prompting mid and high level cloud cover which would hold down the temperatures. Local NWS offices already have most of those areas in the upper 60s to low 70s for highs on Saturday, which would fall closer in line to my thoughts on temperatures for Saturday.

Archived