• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
April 2014 General Discussion

Geos

Snow?  yikes!     Made it to 60F here, but pretty strong north winds still make it feel chilly.   Getting ready for a washout... GFS pumps out some moisture the next few days.

That's pretty good given all the snow cover in Canada yet. April sun FTW!

59° for a high much earlier today.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winter doesnt end here in the city of Buffalo until the ice boom gets removed as the city sits on the northeast shores of the lake. Last year, the boom was taken out on March 25. The latest time the boom has ever come out is May 3. That happened in 1971. According to International rules governing the operation of the ice boom, it must be opened by April 1, unless the eastern basin of Lake Erie is covered by more than 250 square miles of ice.

10259296_10152026847051892_8086552561755

I was just checking, the lake was 32 degrees in 1971 until May 23rd, which is by far the record.  I would find it hard to believe that ice coverage was the standard 250 sq. miles when the removed the boom that year.  The average boom removal is right around April 20th, and generally the temp of the lake spikes quickly after the last 250 sq. miles melts.  

Buffalo-

It is still very impressive.  Might just have to take a road trip up there late this summer and see if i can find some floating ice chunks. 

One nice thing is that ice should be preventing evaporation, so lake levels should stay up...along with keeping the whole area cooler (albedo of ice vs dark blue water).

Euro anyone?  The low does a left turn over IL/N/MI can comes back at WIsconsin...oh great!  rain rain rain rain

Rain done here finally... it was nonstop all day. 

St Louis up to 80F... completely different climate down there.  Must be nice.

http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KSTL.html

ecmwfUS_850_temp_168.gif

Get some of those yummy NE winds off Hudson Bay...my favs :)

Euro anyone?  The low does a left turn over IL/N/MI can comes back at WIsconsin...oh great!  rain rain rain rain

Rain done here finally... it was nonstop all day. 

St Louis up to 80F... completely different climate down there.  Must be nice.

http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KSTL.html

Get some of those yummy NE winds off Hudson Bay...my favs :)

High are in the low 40s for you on that day, and it's closer to 50° down here. EURO sneaks in a warm day on Wednesday as the low wobbles north in WI and the flow turns SW.

Pushing the mid 50s right now here.

Managed to get 0.30" of rain with this system departing. Much more to come next week.

I managed just about the same, .29".... much heavier over towards Leelanau.

All the rain and snow melt region wide has benefited the lakes a lot. MI/Huron were 29" below their seasonal average 15 months ago and now just 9" off the seasonal average. Already higher than all of last Spring/Summer, a 7" rise in the past 4 weeks and another 4" in the next 4 weeks. A wet season could restore a "normal" lake level to MI/Huron. Something not seen for a long, long time.

http://www.lre.usace.army.mil/Missions/GreatLakesInformation/GreatLakesWaterLevels/WaterLevelForecast/WeeklyGreatLakesWaterLevels.aspx

APX:

COULD BE LOOKING AT AN EXTENDED

PERIOD OF SHOWERY WEATHER INTO MID AND LATE WEEK AS THE UPPER LOW

VERY SLOWLY MEANDERS OVERHEAD. THAT OF COURSE WILL HAVE A HUGE

IMPACT ON TEMPS...AS THERE COULD WELL BE A LONG STRETCH WITH

READINGS ONLY STUCK IN THE 40S (AND MAYBE 30S AT TIMES) TO WRAP UP

THE MONTH AND WELCOME EARLY MAY. COULD SOMEONE PLEASE FIND SPRING?

Archived