• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Welcome to bowling season! (3/29-4/1 disco)

Typhoon Tip

Hopefully we can cool off that pesky warm mid level layer in time. Can't see the euro details, but the NAM has the best omega above H75 and the best LLVL CAA is 850 and lower.

We've gone back over to sleet up here...I'm at home now and it's 37F but sleeting pretty hard now. Shows that the pesky warm layer is hanging tough but the depth of lower level cold is increasing to refreeze these droplets.

How often do you go snow to sleet to heavy rain and then back to sleet? Usually it's a low level issue on the backside, not mid-levels...and you just go over to elevation dependent snow with valley rain showers. This time it's just not cooling aloft but below H85.

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well now that we are getting more towards seeing where the precip sets up. I wonder if the area from like interior SW CT to ORH or so gets a decent band of precip and goes over to snow before it slides east. Seems like that area (yes maybe you kevin) could potentially get a decent band of precip very late tonight. It's very mesoscale as noted by the DC stuff so it will be haves vs have nots...but something to watch.

Snowing very good in Baltimore and DC, especially on the NW side.  Sure was not forecasted that close to these cities.  Called my Dad an hour ago and said it was going to snow and he said he had heard nothing about that.  Picture from Damacus MD, northwest of Balt/DC,  nice little surprise for them.  

post-268-0-70923700-1396209667_thumb.jpg

Well now that we are getting more towards seeing where the precip sets up. I wonder if the area from like interior SW CT to ORH or so gets a decent band of precip and goes over to snow before it slides east. Seems like that area (yes maybe you kevin) could potentially get a decent band of precip very late tonight. It's very mesoscale as noted by the DC stuff so it will be haves vs have nots...but something to watch.

How's the WRF looking? RPM?

How's the WRF looking? RPM?

It actually has over 2" of snow from western LI through western CT. Less to the east. 

I think the idea is that it's very dependent on mesoscale lift and processes that flip areas to snow. Models do not agree on intensity and placement though..but I do think those areas mentioned earlier  might have to watch it. It boils down to NOWCASTING really.

THE FLOOD WARNING CONTINUES FOR

THE PAWCATUCK RIVER AT WESTERLY.

* UNTIL LATE TUESDAY NIGHT...OR UNTIL THE WARNING IS CANCELLED.

* AT 4:00 PM SUNDAY THE STAGE WAS 8.2 FEET.

* FLOOD STAGE IS 7.0 FEET.

* MINOR FLOODING IS OCCURRING AND MINOR FLOODING IS FORECAST.

* FORECAST...THE RIVER WILL CONTINUE RISING TO NEAR 8.6 FEET BY AFTER

MIDNIGHT TONIGHT. THE RIVER WILL FALL BELOW FLOOD STAGE TUESDAY

EVENING.

* IMPACT...AT 9.0 FEET...LOWLAND FLOODING IS ANTICIPATED FROM

HOPKINTON DOWNRIVER THROUGH WESTERLY...STONINGTON AND NEW

STONINGTON. LOWEST LYING HOMES ALONG HISCOX ROAD IN WESTERLY ARE

INUNDATED BY FLOODWATERS. ALONG ROUTE 3...FLOODING OCCURS AT HOMES

IN FRENCH VILLAGE IN HOPKINTON. FOLLOW THE ADVICE OF LOCAL

OFFICIALS...AND EVACUATE IF ASKED TO DO SO. FLOODWATERS MAY

INUNDATE ROUTE 49 BY THE NORTH STONINGTON AND STONINGTO

MPM, fire dept just left Moms in Westerly finshed pumping 7 inches of water out of the basement, 1 inch away from new hot water heater ,furnace.Sump pump could not keep up, good thing I had her check and had TB go there. She fed them and gave them money for lunch etc for the crews,its how small towns do things.

Good to hear, Steve.  Your mother sounds like a really nice woman!

UCONN baby!!!!

Now let's get the 3-6 the euro drops here

Quite a game!  Tough one next weekend.  Really happy for the team and particularly for Kevin Ollie.  I was a big fan of his during his playing days.

Sounds from posts here that I'm too far west for anything of note here?

Still getting warmer.

37.0/36

1-3 right ?

The dynamics tomorrow will be weaker than

today. It really comes down to

Nowcasting. Someone might get that, but I wouldn't lock in amounts on mesoscale features. The lift tonight gets strong in western ma and ct so perhaps someone gets a locally cooled column and burst of snow.

But sometimes they have surprise bands.

The dynamics tomorrow will be weaker than

today. It really comes down to

Nowcasting. Someone might get that, but I wouldn't lock in amounts on mesoscale features. The lift tonight gets strong in western ma and ct so perhaps someone gets a locally cooled column and burst of snow.

But sometimes they have surprise bands.

Seems like this would be a NW CT or Berkshires deal. Have and have nots. 

MPM, fire dept just left Moms in Westerly finshed pumping 7 inches of water out of the basement, 1 inch away from new hot water heater ,furnace.Sump pump could not keep up, good thing I had her check and had TB go there. She fed them and gave them money for lunch etc for the crews,its how small towns do things.

Yuck. We just spent part of the day wet-vacing and cleaning my mother-in-law's basement.  Her sewerpipe got clogged (roots?) and with the rain has been backing up. Dumpster incoming, backhoe incoming to install new pipe. She needs a condo...

Good luck with your mom.  Pretty soon my uncle and aunt will be out of Jamestown, too (just per their house on the market), my mom's house sold last month.   This stinks

Yuck. We just spent part of the day wet-vacing and cleaning my mother-in-law's basement. Her sewerpipe got clogged (roots?) and with the rain has been backing up. Dumpster incoming, backhoe incoming to install new pipe. She needs a condo...

Good luck with your mom. Pretty soon my uncle and aunt will be out of Jamestown, too (just per their house on the market), my mom's house sold last month. This stinks

thats sucks

Gene/wxeye had a good catch in the NNE thread about MWN summit being the warmest spot around in that area... there's your elevated warm layer melting those snowflakes.

983628_10101842011251550_759290731_n.jpg

18z NAM sounding showing that pesky warm layer doesn't seem to want to go anywhere...this is for ORH.  Classic IP/ZR look, and prints out a half inch of QPF there as mixed precip.  Although if it comes down hard enough, one could argue that may be able to hold isothermal in that 100mb thick warm layer.

Archived