joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2014 discussion

Mikehobbyst

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Already 41/39 here.. I think anyone above 500' has a decent shot of at least a coating.

Yes, I could definitely see the higher elevations 500ft+ seeing a coating to an inch or so. For everyone in the immediate NYC area near the coast I wouldn't expect accums though.

Freeze Warning

Expires 10:00 AM EDT on April 16, 2014

Statement as of 3:22 PM EDT on April 15, 2014

... Freeze warning in effect from 2 am to 10 am EDT Wednesday...

The National Weather Service in New York has issued a freeze

warning... which is in effect from 2 am to 10 am EDT Wednesday.

* Locations... New York City... .Long Island... .and coastal

Connecticut.

* Temperatures... in the upper 20s to around freezing.

* Timing... late tonight into Wednesday morning.

* Impacts... sensitive plants may be damaged or killed.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A freeze warning means below freezing temperatures are imminent

or highly likely. These conditions will kill crops and other

sensitive vegetation.

As much as many people say snow can't accumulate down to the coast at this time of year, that freak squall line that came through on the last day of March dumped 5 inches of snow on Long Island and the situation was fairly similar to this one. If the temperatures are cold enough, which they likely will be, and there's a burst of heavy snow, it can certainly accumulate rapidly. I think the NAM and RGEM are a bit bullish, but I wouldn't rule out accumulations of 1" all the way down to the coast if all the ingredients come together.

The slug of precip in VA looks like it might be well timed for somebody in the EPA, NNJ, SENY, WCT area.  That area of enhanced lift should be approaching the region around the time temps near freezing and the column starts to support frozen precip... probably between 8-11pm from NW to SE.

The slug of precip in VA looks like it might be well timed for somebody in the EPA, NNJ, SENY, WCT area. That area of enhanced lift should be approaching the region around the time temps near freezing and the column starts to support frozen precip... probably between 8-11pm from NW to SE.

I just glanced at the radar and had the same thought as you. It's down to 40 here now.

Just listened to Lonnie Quinn and he thinks the ocean may cause the snow to 'be a little tired', slow down, and give Long Island the biggest numbers. Then again, he's not a met and could easily be wrong. But who knows. Just a little hope for some of the folks on the coast.

We don't bring up Lonnie Quinn in serious weather forums

Archived