joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 25-26 Potential Bomb Part II

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think at this juncture it is pretty hard to ignore that every model has a track that is too far offshore for any significant snow for NYC area.  I'm guessing Forky wouldn't write it off totally for Cape and Boston.

The Cape is probably in a good spot, but Boston is on the edge like we are. The storm is headed NE after all. It does look really good for parts of Nova Scotia, I'd be excited if I lived in Halifax. We need another 100 mile or so shift west on the model consensus, which is possible, but again that shift boils down to what happens sooner over the Southeast, so I think we can tell what happens with the storm based on what happens sooner on the modeling. If the trough is getting shoved east or the phase happens too late, the storm is over for us, plain and simple.

I, personally, think there is some merit to having all the disturbances on shore where they can be sampled by weather balloons, but some others would disagree with me.

I totally agree with you and I watched your discussion on this yesterday in the New England forum and wanted to comment.  I have seen MANY times in the past that storms were modeled to hit us between 10 days and 7 days out, only to be lost for several days, then show up again when those pieces of energy come on shore on the west coast.  The storm then reappears in almost identical fashion to what was shown previously.  I don't know what other evidence a person would need to come to the conclusion that it matters.

this from WPC at noon - also they discounted the UKIE solution

..SENSIBLE WEATHER HIGHLIGHTS...

EXPECT NEXT TUE-WED TO HAVE A WINTRY FEEL OVER THE EAST WITH HIGHS
AT LEAST 10-20F BELOW NORMAL. RAPIDLY DEEPENING STORM OFF THE
EAST COAST AND ITS SUPPORTING ENERGY ALOFT MAY BRING SOME SNOW TO
AREAS FROM THE CNTRL APLCHNS/MID ATLC INTO NEW ENGLAND WITH A
PERIOD OF VERY STRONG WINDS AS WELL. SMALL DIFFS IN SFC LOW TRACK
MAY HAVE SIGNIFICANT IMPACT ON THE AMOUNT OF SNOW/DURATION OF
STRONG WINDS OBSERVED AT SOME LOCATIONS. 

I, personally, think there is some merit to having all the disturbances on shore where they can be sampled by weather balloons, but some others would disagree with me.

So the question I would ask is ... what does "some merit" translate into in terms of making enough of a difference ... and in terms of changing the probabilities already established by the existing runs? Enough to move a forecast track 100-200 miles west when no major

models currently depict that?

I'm inclined to think that without heavy precip rates, the snow will simply not stick too much. The cutoff between almost nothing and 6" should be pretty sharp. Warm ground temps are overrated, I agree. However

Sent from my iPhone

There is no way we'd see much if any accumulation if the 12z GFS track verified, although alot of that falls at night, first off I don't believe that much QPF falls that far west of the low and two its probably going to be about 38/25 when that snow starts right there so you need fairly decent rates, even at night to get to 30-32.

So the question I would ask is ... what does "some merit" translate into in terms of making enough of a difference ... and in terms of changing the probabilities already established by the existing runs? Enough to move a forecast track 100-200 miles west when no major

Yes, that is theoretically possible.  I'm not saying its going to happen, mind you.

this from WPC at noon - also they discounted the UKIE solution

..SENSIBLE WEATHER HIGHLIGHTS...

EXPECT NEXT TUE-WED TO HAVE A WINTRY FEEL OVER THE EAST WITH HIGHS

AT LEAST 10-20F BELOW NORMAL. RAPIDLY DEEPENING STORM OFF THE

EAST COAST AND ITS SUPPORTING ENERGY ALOFT MAY BRING SOME SNOW TO

AREAS FROM THE CNTRL APLCHNS/MID ATLC INTO NEW ENGLAND WITH A

PERIOD OF VERY STRONG WINDS AS WELL. SMALL DIFFS IN SFC LOW TRACK

MAY HAVE SIGNIFICANT IMPACT ON THE AMOUNT OF SNOW/DURATION OF

STRONG WINDS OBSERVED AT SOME LOCATIONS. 

Would you please provide a link to these discussions?  Thank you.  

With the last Nor'easter of this intensity in December 2010, the models pulled the storm about 500 miles NW with 24 hours to go I believe.  Correct me if I am wrong.  

With the last Nor'easter of this intensity in December 2010, the models pulled the storm about 500 miles NW with 24 hours to go I believe.  Correct me if I am wrong.  

I don't think it was that drastic.  It was more like 48 hours, too (GFS was more like 60 or 72, while the Euro had the storm for a while, lost it, and then was the last to get it back about 48 hours out.

Archived