joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 25-26 Potential Bomb Part II

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am amazed how many of you are ready to throw the towel in with 96 hrs left to go.  The models completely lost the 2010 December blizzard around this time, only to bring it back with 24 hours to go.  Any you guys are making these statements based upon seeing the model that has the 4th best verification scores at this range, without even waiting for numbers 1, 2, and 3.  I am NOT saying this storm will hit us, it could miss completely, but to throw the towel in at this point is absurd.

A grasping for straws model. If the Euro and ensembles don't seriously come west by 0z tonight I'm pretty much writing this off.

I think that looks ok . If we go east of here at 12z ok  , but you are in the game .  JMO

post-7472-0-24144900-1395504414_thumb.pn

I am amazed how many of you are ready to throw the towel in with 96 hrs left to go. The models completely lost the 2010 December blizzard around this time, only to bring it back with 24 hours to go. Any you guys are making these statements based upon seeing the model that has the 4th best verification scores at this range, without even waiting for numbers 1, 2, and 3. I am NOT saying this storm will hit us, it could miss completely, but to throw the towel in at this point is absurd.

I agree its too soon to give up but the models haven't lost this one since they never really had a big hit for us. Boxing day of course had big hits on most models 5-7 days out and then lost it.

Outside of a rouge GGEM run we haven't seen a big hit yet in the modeling. This continues to waver between way offshore and slightly offshore. The arctic energy phases in too slowly again this run. The phase has to occur while the southern stream is over the Deep South or this is game over except for far eastern sections.

General point is well taken but the 12Z Euro on Wednesday was a sizable hit.

I agree its too soon to give up but the models haven't lost this one since they never really had a big hit for us. Boxing day of course had big hits on most models 5-7 days out and then lost it.

The Canadian model had a big hit already.  The Euro was close to several big hits days ago, but hit south of us instead.  It only needs to show hits from here on in.  The potential was always there.

Is this QPF or accumulation?

Euro QPF which falls between 96 and 108 . But you have to look at the whole suite this afternoon , because there`s a little more dat absorbed . The Euro may go east - but I  would just look at all the models today before I pull any fire alarms .

comparing this to Boxing Day is wrong IMO - like you said Boxing Day was on the models as a direct hit then they lost it for a couple days

Those who feel like kissing this goodbye just lovely. Go enjoy your Sat.. Those of us with functional open minds see improvement in ridging & know full sampling within 12 hours so we shall wait THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Like I suggested earlier (and I'm sure a red tagger can back me up), there is no such thing as "full sampling", much less a deadline as to when that would occur. Unless you truly understand how NWP works, you're basically spreading folklore when you talk about data ingestion and things like that. It may have some merit, but it shouldn't be your only reason for clutching to a threat that has no support from any operational guidance. The surface low will be developing within 72 hours, so we're rapidly losing our buffer time for large shifts.

I suggest accepting the system for what it is... an exercise in observing explosive cyclogenesis. Sunrise on Wednesday will yield some beautiful vis satellite imagery, and hopefully somebody on the beach can take some killer pictures of the snow and surf.

The Canadian model had a big hit already.  The Euro was close to several big hits days ago, but hit south of us instead.  It only needs to show hits from here on in.  The potential was always there.

The potential is STILL there : Euro and Euro ensembles are NOt chicken feed. the former was .8 for JFK last run. the latter came 100 miles West shortly thereafter,

No way. You know better than this not to give up something  3 days away. Also, some improvements on this run.

I think at this juncture it is pretty hard to ignore that every model has a track that is too far offshore for any significant snow for NYC area.  I'm guessing Forky wouldn't write it off totally for Cape and Boston.

I think one thing is for sure.....a big warmup will follow this, so let's get ready for spring ! One good point is that if we miss, it'll all be gone for everyone within a couple of days anyway. I would never have taken away my 1-2 foot long-lasting snow cover that I had for a quick foot of snow late march that melts in a day or two ! We had TRUE WINTER this past season

Sent from my iPhone

Like I suggested earlier (and I'm sure a red tagger can back me up), there is no such thing as "full sampling", much less a deadline as to when that would occur.

I, personally, think there is some merit to having all the disturbances on shore where they can be sampled by weather balloons, but some others would disagree with me.

I think at this juncture it is pretty hard to ignore that every model has a track that is too far offshore for any significant snow for NYC area.  I'm guessing Forky wouldn't write it off totally for Cape and Boston.

The Euro and its ensembles have 5 inches at NYC and 6-10 inches for coastal NJ and Long Island, so I have no idea what you are talking about.  The Euro has the highest verification scores of any model and has the precip shield further west than any other model.  Maybe you should read some of the posts prior.

Archived