• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 25-26 Potential Bomb Part II

earthlight

The Euro is even a several  mb deeper than the March 93 superstorm as it approaches 40N. The

hi-res Euro has pressures near 950 mb and the March storm was 960-961 mb this far north.

That's basically a March hurricane force storm for the shipping interests well east of the 

coast. The surfers are going to love the swell.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 0z Euro ensemble mean was farther west than last run and similar to 0z Euro operational. 988mb low over 38N/70W at 102hr. 978mb low over 40N/66W at 108hrs. H5 closes off 108hrs. Euro control is little farther west with a 960mb low at 40N/68W.

14 out 51 individual members tracks inside the 40/70 BM. 15 members show 6"+ of snow for NYC.

And how can a weenie not like the WPC discussion? Going to be a close call for this forum, but I assume the eastern LI/SE New England folks are starting to really get excited...

Nope, not quite yet. Models seem to be honing in on a powerful storm at least, now if we start seeing some consensus on a BM track sometime later sunday, I'll be naked and confused since I've already put winter on the shelf

The Euro ensemble mean precip shield from the Delmarva north was about 100 miles NW of the prior run.  This was just a massive shift northwest for one run of the model.  

A very strong and potentially dangerous storm, indeed. If this beast were to trend just another 100 miles westward, lookout! Don't like to sound like I'm bantering, but biggest runs coming up today and tonight in years.

A very strong and potentially dangerous storm, indeed. If this beast were to trend just another 100 miles westward, lookout! Don't like to sound like I'm bantering, but biggest runs coming up today and tonight in years.

In late March to boot.... if this storm comes to fruition, we could have a MECS on our hands. 

We need to look for a quicker phase and better positioning and tilt of the western ridge.

Let's keep the west runs going! 

00z Euro Ensembles took an insanely encouraging jump northwest. That is precisely what I wanted to see overnight. Need it to continue today.

We'll probably know relatively early in the 12z run of the Euro today if we see the low strengthening faster

and closer to the SE Coast as we get some better RAOB sampling of the energy today.

SUNY

STONY BROOK ENSEMBLE SENSITIVITY ANALYSIS FOR BOTH ECMWF AND GEFS

HAD EARLIER SUGGESTED THAT THE PAC NW ENERGY ARRIVING ONSHORE SUNDAY

NIGHT WOULD HAVE THE GREATEST INFLUENCE ON THE EVENTUAL NORTH-SOUTH

UNCERTAINTY OF THE STORM TRACK. AT LEAST WITH THE GEFS ON THE 12Z

RUN...IT IS NOW FOCUSING MORE ON THE SHORTWAVE ENERGY DIVING DOWN

FROM NW CANADA. IT HAS ALSO SHOWN FOR THE PAST COUPLE OF DAYS A

LARGE DEGREE OF ENSEMBLE SPREAD IN MSLP TO THE N OF EACH OF THE MEAN

TRACKS...IMPLYING THAT THE TRACK WOULD BE AT LEAST A LITTLE FARTHER

NORTH.

The 0z Euro ensemble mean was farther west than last run and similar to 0z Euro operational. 988mb low over 38N/70W at 102hr. 978mb low over 40N/66W at 108hrs. H5 closes off 108hrs. Euro control is little farther west with a 960mb low at 40N/68W.

14 out 51 individual members tracks inside the 40/70 BM. 15 members show 6"+ of snow for NYC.

meaning 70 % of the members don't show 6 inches - what percentage shows under 2 inches ? Just trying to inject some reality into the conversation - have to look at both sides

Both the CMC and Euro have sub 960 pressures as this is near 40N. If these models are

correct, it could be the first time in March that a storm gets within 150 miles of the benchmark

with that low a pressure maybe in 100 years. I am not sure if there have been other instances

or not outside of hurricanes.

The lowest non-hurricane barometric pressure reading in the lower 48 states is 28.10" (952 mb) measured at Bridgehampton, New York (Long Island) during an amazing nor'easter on March 1, 1914 (see Kocin and Uccellini, "Northeast Snowstorms; Vol. 2., p. 324, American Meteorological Society, 2004.)

It seems that the GFS has actually been fairly consistent with its solution. There's been a bit of wobbling here and there , but for the most part it's been supportive of a 1-3" snowfall here, with 2-4" for Long Island and possibly an all out blizzard for cape cod. The reality is that we'd want to see this at least show some signs of a leap west on more than 1 or even 2 of the models. With a pressure forecasted to be this low, bombing out this quick, it would be a frustrating time for us if we did not get to join in on the fun. I'm hoping with the 12z runs and especially the 00z runs tonight, we start to see more than just one hint on the models that it will trend west

Sent from my iPhone

meaning 70 % of the members don't show 6 inches - what percentage shows under 2 inches ? Just trying to inject some reality into the conversation - have to look at both sides

@ this juncture accumilations matter in the least. Most important is track, track and track- just as with real estate Location, location location.

At 12 z yesterday the Euro OP had .2 into KNYC .4 into coastal NJ and onto Long Island.

At 0z the Euro Op brought .5 into KNYC .7 into CNJ from the city S. .8 to JFK. .9 to the Nassau Suffolk border and 1 inch right thru bay shore and points east.

This was a huge jump west , it takes a center from 994 to 957 in 12 hours to just east of the BM

This is the reality. The models are printing out one fastest deepening systems at you're latitude many have seen in a while.

One more step west and I will understand if a fire alarm or 2 get pulled.

Both the CMC and Euro have sub 960 pressures as this is near 40N. If these models are

correct, it could be the first time in March that a storm gets within 150 miles of the benchmark

with that low a pressure maybe in 100 years. I am not sure if there have been other instances

or not outside of hurricanes.

The lowest non-hurricane barometric pressure reading in the lower 48 states is 28.10" (952 mb) measured at Bridgehampton, New York (Long Island) during an amazing nor'easter on March 1, 1914 (see Kocin and Uccellini, "Northeast Snowstorms; Vol. 2., p. 324, American Meteorological Society, 2004.)

Tremendous upward motion with Banding , thunderstorms with wind. Close to the center !

The 1 inch line is 50 SE of KNYC on the 0z OP. That's a hiccup away. But I agree 37 MB to 956 in 12 hours is something we don't see at 40 in March.

Being 3 days out, by 0z tonight we should know for sure if we're just getting brushed or something more. At 2 a 2.5 days the models usually get to the 'near final' outcome....

We need 150 miles or so and then we'll be in business...crunch time

Based on last Euro run Id argue we can settle for 100 Miles & we would all be very happy campers, also FYI we r stil 3.5 days out but I agree the next 24 hours will tell the tale. If the GFS steps up and goes west in 3 hours this server will be near breaking point for the euro.

@ this jucture accumilations matter in the least. Most important is track, track and track- just as with real estate Location, location location.

you forgot time of day  and intensity of the precip THAT is what is going to be the main determinant of snowfall amounts because it is 1.The last week of March.  2. Much stronger sun angle with longer daylight hours. 3. Temperatures that are borderline .

Tremendous upward motion with Banding , thunderstorms with wind. Close to the center !

The 1 inch line is 50 SE of KNYC on the 0z OP. That's a hiccup away. But I agree 37 MB to 956 in 12 hours is something we don't see at 40 in March.

The next few days of runs will be telling to refine the track and see if the Euro still goes somewhere

under 960 mb around 40N. But it has been signaling a very deep low potential somewhere off the 

coast for days now.

you forgot time of day  and intensity of the precip THAT is what is going to be the main determinant of snowfall amounts because it is 1.The last week of March.  2. Much stronger sun angle with longer daylight hours. 3. Temperatures that are borderline .

Not a factor due to issues Timing ( will come at night into morning ) and anamolous cold. If this baby shifts west due trough going negative, an earlier phase and or baroclinic zone none of this will matter @ all because QPF will explode & e will be in CCB. Lets let her play out today. This will be an exciting day to say the least.

12Z models 3/22  :lmao: 50% :( 50%

00Z models 3/23 :weep::cry: for the most part

12Z models 3/23 :weep:  :baby::cry:  :axe: Miss a 1 in a 100 year event by 275 miles

We also missed a 1 in a million year astronomical event last Thursday morning due to clouds. :cry:

Another dud SVR weather season this summer... w/ colder than normal water.   The backdoor summer of 2014 would really be BM on a stick for us.  The El Nino starting later up  this spring gives bad summer weather matches like 1992, 1997 and 2009 :axe: .

Being 3 days out, by 0z tonight we should know for sure if we're just getting brushed or something more. At 2 a 2.5 days the models usually get to the 'near final' outcome....

We need 150 miles or so and then we'll be in business...crunch time

Nope. Not until Monday, don't forget past storms.

12Z models 3/22  :lmao: 50% :( 50%

00Z models 3/23 :weep::cry: for the most part

12Z models 3/23 :weep:  :baby::cry:  :axe: Miss a 1 in a 100 year event by 275 miles

We also missed a 1 in a million year astronomical event last Thursday morning due to clouds. :cry:

Another dud SVR weather season this summer... w/ colder than normal water.   The backdoor summer of 2014 would really be BM on a stick for us.  The El Nino starting later up  this spring gives bad summer weather matches like 1992, 1997 and 2009 :axe: .

Don't abandon us now when we need ya!

Archived