• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
People don't seem to appreciate this winter

NickD2011

Most people are complaining that this is a bad winter. I'm saying that this was a great winter with lots of cold and snow. Conversely, people are saying that the winter of 2011-2012 was a good winter and I say that was the worst winter.

Winter is such an interesting season. I'd rather be tracking snowstorms than thunderstorms.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think anybody stated this is a bad winter. It was a great winter for snow lovers. Going off that, it was a different winter than usual as it consisted of a bunch of smaller storms that added up to a high seasonal total. I, as I bet some other people do prefer the one big storm vs. a bunch of smaller ones, but to each their own. Plus there seemed to be multiple opportunities for that historic storm, but trends late in the game prevented those from occurring which probably disappointed some people.

The one thing I will say is that I am beyond sick of this cold. I am a snow fan, not a cold fan, and if we are done with the snow then bring on the warmth! There are some people who love the cold though..something I will never understand.

This was a very good winter, but I was really hoping for that one historic storm and it never came despite multiple chances so that was disappointing. IMO you can't put this winter in the same category as 02-03 or 95-96 because it just didn't have that. Still great though for the number of events, prolonged snowcover, and very cold temps.

I like the cold during winter, but now that it's March I'm starting to get sick of it and if it's not gonna snow then just let it be warm.

This was a very good winter, but I was really hoping for that one historic storm and it never came despite multiple chances so that was disappointing. IMO you can't put this winter in the same category as 02-03 or 95-96 because it just didn't have that. Still great though for the number of events, prolonged snowcover, and very cold temps.

I like the cold during winter, but now that it's March I'm starting to get sick of it and if it's not gonna snow then just let it be warm.

03 was decent but a mostly snowless January and the fact that pd2 melted in 5 days means it really doesn't compare to the almost 2 months of nonstop cold and snow this winter

The one thing I will say is that I am beyond sick of this cold. I am a snow fan, not a cold fan, and if we are done with the snow then bring on the warmth! There are some people who love the cold though..something I will never understand.

Truth be told, though, a vast majority of folks hate the snow and wonder how anybody could ever root on more of it. You're already an enigma; the love of cold is just a level up. ;)

This winter id give either an A- or a B+

Pros :

Prolonged temps below to much below normal. We've gotten so used to highs in the 20s and 30s that we've forgotten how winter usually is here.....with temps in the upper 30s to upper 40s during these times

Frequent snow events, including several 5"+ storms and even a couple 8"+ storms for the majority of us

At least 2-3 extended BITTERLY cold periods with highs 10-20 and lows 0-5 for the entire area

CONS :

We did not have that one epic storm that would make it complete as an A or A+ winter. I consider this to be a storm that dumps a very widespread 12"+ with a fairly widespread 18"+ band with lollipops to 25-30". This is the only thing missing

To close.....

Anyone who said this winter "was not good" clearly means to say "this winter was not one of the best winters ever". Because it is a fact, not just a personal opinion, that this winter hit on NEARLY ALL of what would combine to make it a great winter for cold and snow lovers. Taking the temperatures, snow totals, and number of warm-up days into consideration, it is IMPOSSIBLE to grade this winter as anything less than a "B". Just looking at snow averages, we crushed them. Top 5 best winters ever ? No. However.....if we end up closing out this season with a 20" storm.....It, without a doubt, would be !

Sent from my iPhone

this is a matter of opinion topic. this could be viewed many different ways. it was a bad winter in the fact the cold and snow was common compared to average but IMO it was a good winter for me since winter weather is my passion

Lol double almost everyone's annual snow total is "common"? Interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this year is one of a handfull of winters with 50" of snow and 30 days with a max 32 or lower...(which helps keep the snow pack longer)...the others were...1947-48, 1977-78, 1993-94, 1995-96...that's great company...

what a dominant -EPO can do for us with some well timed transient blocking as well :snowing:

For snow and cold, winters around here don't really get much better. I don't think anybody in the NYC area can argue that this isn't the best winter since 95-96. It's just been one of those rare 5/6 month winters that have few equals in the last 150 years or so. 

This winter id give either an A- or a B+

Pros :

Prolonged temps below to much below normal. We've gotten so used to highs in the 20s and 30s that we've forgotten how winter usually is here.....with temps in the upper 30s to upper 40s during these times

Frequent snow events, including several 5"+ storms and even a couple 8"+ storms for the majority of us

At least 2-3 extended BITTERLY cold periods with highs 10-20 and lows 0-5 for the entire area

CONS :

We did not have that one epic storm that would make it complete as an A or A+ winter. I consider this to be a storm that dumps a very widespread 12"+ with a fairly widespread 18"+ band with lollipops to 25-30". This is the only thing missing

To close.....

Anyone who said this winter "was not good" clearly means to say "this winter was not one of the best winters ever". Because it is a fact, not just a personal opinion, that this winter hit on NEARLY ALL of what would combine to make it a great winter for cold and snow lovers. Taking the temperatures, snow totals, and number of warm-up days into consideration, it is IMPOSSIBLE to grade this winter as anything less than a "B". Just looking at snow averages, we crushed them. Top 5 best winters ever ? No. However.....if we end up closing out this season with a 20" storm.....It, without a doubt, would be !

Sent from my iPhone

Disagree with so much. How is this not an A+ winter? A "HECS" is a hecs for a reason. They are supposed to be rare. This season itself is a "HECS" because it's historic.

We may have not gotten the glorified HECS, but the Jan 2-3rd storm and Jan 21st events were unique in there own way. 11F and heavy snow is something I never seen before, Jan 21st was in the teens as well and the snow was fluffy and ratios were excellent (20:1), Feb was snowier but those two events really made this winter memorable for me, Feb 3rd was a nice 6-10" paste bomb (reminds me of Feb 10, 2010 the way it plastered on the trees), Feb 12-13th was the "major" storm of the winter but the heaviest totals were confined to our N+W, the frontogenesis with 4"/hr rates were awesome tho.

2010 2011 was better in nyc we had two major snowstorms the dec 26 blizzard and the storm in january...i prefer. huge storms to a bunch of moderate to borderline major storms..

Tough to decide among the two winters... this winter was about half a degree colder and had similar snowfall and snow on the ground... March of 2011 had normal temps and no snow until 3 in. fell late in the month so if this month can deliver then this winter gets my vote... either way, great winter.

Combination of snow and cold..a solid A..any winter you get above 50 inches is an A

50" winters are so common now I wish they came when I was in my 20's...What fun it could have been...Now at age 65 between the cold and shoveling I'm ready to fall down...

Just based on climo, I would rate this winter a A/A- for NYC if I lived there. The snow was top 5 and the cold had impressive longevity. It was a top 20 cold winter in the past 70 years. I do think a lack of "the Big One" keeps it from being in that A+ territory.

HECS are rare...so are A+ graded winters. I'd probably reserve those for like '60-'61, '47-'48, '77-'78, and '95-'96. 2002-2003 was close...maybe not quite up to par with that elite group.

Archived