amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
People don't seem to appreciate this winter

NickD2011

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stuck the ruler in from time to time...but didn't write anything down for posterity...as for 2/7/78...snow was about up to my belt. 

IDK if we over romanticize that year...18 inches on 1/21/78 and about 26 inches on 2/7/78 is certainly great...but December was nothing special...there were two rainstorms and then The Icestorm before the January blizzard...then a big thaw with the Ohio Valley Blizzard (rain here)...then the Big One...then dry for 30 days...then a couple of March events...then that was it...'96 definitely ranks ahead of it, IMO.   

Pretty sure central NJ only saw the Feb storm which closed schools for a week ( I was in HS ) don't remember anything much else that year and nothing big in 79. or 80. or 81. 82 had the Jan and April storms, and 83 had the big one. Onemore storm in 87 and that was it for us here until 93. We'd go years without much and as I've noted, in 91 the Star ledger ran a piece asking whatever happened to winter? Answer: we found out in 93, 94 and 96.

I'm thinking the same thing. If this is the case I think we'll see something crazy like a blizzard of 1888 or another 78/96 in the next 5 years. We've already had so many extremes..snow..heat.. Rain etc so we're due for a huge KU event

i recently began wondering if the 20th century was a historically low century for snowfall.  obviously it's wishful thinking, but since consistent records dont apparently exist for previous centuries, maybe the 21st century trends will continue.

Couldn't agree more about this...my fuel bill is running about $800 every 28 days.

Wow I'm not that bad but I also have gone through 3 chords of firewood. The first time I have done that since buying our house in 2000. I average 2 fill ups a year. I have a 550 tank. This year I just got my third. Ridiculous lol.

Wow I'm not that bad but I also have gone through 3 chords of firewood. The first time I have done that since buying our house in 2000. I average 2 fill ups a year. I have a 550 tank. This year I just got my third. Ridiculous lol.

this is why I like the suburbs, gas lines for gas heat and no wells to worry about. I have a fireplace but it's mostly for show. No more oil, propane, or wood to worry about. My gas bills are not that bad considering. the oil man used to hold me hostage every winter, it was after the winter of 94 I switched to gas. Couldn't get home insurance with an in ground oil tank.

Stuck the ruler in from time to time...but didn't write anything down for posterity...as for 2/7/78...snow was about up to my belt. 

IDK if we over romanticize that year...18 inches on 1/21/78 and about 26 inches on 2/7/78 is certainly great...but December was nothing special...there were two rainstorms and then The Icestorm before the January blizzard...then a big thaw with the Ohio Valley Blizzard (rain here)...then the Big One...then dry for 30 days...then a couple of March events...then that was it...'96 definitely ranks ahead of it, IMO.   

Living on L.I-  "1978"   wins my personal fav…...

Even though my lifespan is relatively short :lol: and i really only started tracking a few years ago, this winter has been one of the best (for

me). Prolonged cold, storm after storm, and a great snowpack made it great. My neighbor's yard which hasn't been touched still has

around 6". Best part is, there may be more to come...

I moved to Plainview in Nassau County in Oct 1971 and Port Jeff in Dec 1994. The only memorable winter in Plainview was 1977-78. 1993-94 was an icy mess and I measured just 47 inches of snow. I've always regretted moving to Port Jeff one winter too late as I've been told by the locals that 1993-94 had 5 feet around here.

In 20 winters out here...I can cite 10 that were better than anything Plainview offered during those 23 (save for '78).

The best was 1995-96...hands down...The Dec 1995 storm was 11 inches...the January blizzard and then two April events bringing 15 additional inches.

2004-05 would be second best with snowfall in the 70 inch range and 5 snowstorms from mid Feb to mid March.

I'd move this one into the #3 spot pending how the rest of the year plays out.

2002-03 would be 4th...great February & April.

2010-11 would be 5th...best January ever (40 inches of snow that month here and prolonged snow cover).

2003-04 would be 6th...near 60 inches out here and great December & January. Unbelievably cold January.

2009-10 would be 7th...3 great snowstorms (one in December and two in February).

2000-01 would be 8th...around 50 inches for the winter and the March storm more or less panned out around here with 13.5 inches.

2008-09 would be 9th...snowfall reached about 40 inches and the March event put down almost a foot here. Cold January.

2012-13 would be 10th...The February blizzard carries quite a bit of weight...being the greatest Long Island snowstorm probably since 1888...all the cars buried in their tracks in Suffolk County tells you that. March was decent and there were many very minor events.

I lived in Port Jefferson Station in 1994.. After the 2 major snowstorms in February, The snow depth was up to my chest. By far the deepest snow I've witnessed.

I don't think 78 is over-romanticized.  December had a few minor snowfalls and the last half of the month was very cold, followed by a few inches of snow on New Years night.  After that we were off to the races, starting with a rain ending as snow event a few days later, tehn the great ice storm.  The OV blizzard was a definite chink in the armor (a spoiler, although a fascinating storm, even from the warm side), and there were some mixed events (snow to rain and rain to snow) but the calmest period of the winter was the period between the OV storm and the big one  in Feb...during which we did not get above freezing.

I would rank it 2nd to '96, although 96 had more "spoilers" than 78.

Guest Pamela

I lived in Port Jefferson Station in 1994.. After the 2 major snowstorms in February, The snow depth was up to my chest. By far the deepest snow I've witnessed.

Yep...unfortunately I moved in in December 1994 and the first winter was pretty pathetic...though February 1995 did bring an 8 inch snowstorm. 

Guest Pamela

I don't think 78 is over-romanticized.

Well...it has been 36 years and I wasn't as much of a weather enthusiast in those days so anything I say regarding weather during that time frame I'd take with a grain of salt...as opposed to what say about more recent events...which I expect you to take with a grain of (insert something other than NaCl)

this is why I like the suburbs, gas lines for gas heat and no wells to worry about. I have a fireplace but it's mostly for show. No more oil, propane, or wood to worry about. My gas bills are not that bad considering. the oil man used to hold me hostage every winter, it was after the winter of 94 I switched to gas. Couldn't get home insurance with an in ground oil tank.

At about 50 miles east of the city proper and 1/4 mile from the sound I am in the suburbs. I have gas in the house but a conversion from steam heat to hydronic along with the cost of a gas conversion doesn't warrant the outlay. And quite honestly there really is no savings with gas as it has a lower btu output than oil so you burn more for the same heat. You just don't have to worry about running out.

At about 50 miles east of the city proper and 1/4 mile from the sound I am in the suburbs. I have gas in the house but a conversion from steam heat to hydronic along with the cost of a gas conversion doesn't warrant the outlay. And quite honestly there really is no savings with gas as it has a lower btu output than oil so you burn more for the same heat. You just don't have to worry about running out.

My PSE&G bill for gas/electric was over $600 last month. Its actually been higher than that so its not as bad as I thought it would be. I also have a very old house, original windows etc. so its no picnic, but steam heat is very efficient (or so people tell me)

What do you guys keep your thermostat at? Mine is at 67 - 68 normally and below 63 at night when in bed. Sometimes during day I put it at 65 -66 degrees. I have gas and pay about 100 -120 per month.

Archived