joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2- 4 Snowstorm Potential

NEG NAO

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just toss it- NYC motto for warm storm runs ehh?

Like forky said, this is always a worry if you start seeing a N trend. Yes, it's one run, not a trend. Could be the start of one though. The PV orientation doesn't allow a strong HP to settle over top of NY in SE Canada. So the heights amplify a bit more along the east coast.

Hr 126 warm. Rain from hpn-south. Upstate my and western pa crushed. Ignore yanks pbp it's further north

That's why no one should get excited about this storm yet. We need a very strong and suppressed PV to have a good shot at much snow from this-if the PV is weaker or the energy too strong and pumping up the eastern ridge, we have ourselves a long washout or icestorm inland. We should mostly just be expecting a storm at this point.

the euro's had a general north idea for a while now... the snowy solution was only there for two runs

The snowy solution was there at 0z. The point is that it's too early to see if this is a trend or not. Also, the Euro is by itself with this solution. BTW, I'm still waiting for my snowstorm today that the Euro showed.

Can you guys please calm down its 1 OP run 5 days out . Do you guys think every run is going to be a carbon copy of where the

baroclinic zone is going to set up  .

How about you take the whole suite , blend it and sit and wait a day before we call 1 op run a " TREND " .  Numerical solutions 

120 hours have some spread to them.

Relax everyone , a wide spread winter storm is coming in this anomalous winter  .

With the high slamming in from the plains towards the east coast and the relatively elongated vortex over most of southern canada I cannot see any way that this ends up much north of where the GFS shows it, if anything suppression worries me more... This is not your classic SWFE that ends up north

-strongly agree!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

With the high slamming in from the plains towards the east coast and the relatively elongated vortex over most of southern canada I cannot see any way that this ends up much north of where the GFS shows it, if anything suppression worries me more... This is not your classic SWFE that ends up north

The PV was more pronounced on all the models at 12z today except the Euro. Weird.

was going to post something regarding the general insane cold push similar to this. the EURO doesn't really match up with the other US/global models currently. it also crapped the bed with todays storm as well

Agreed, with that monster northern stream wave rotating southward on the GFS I'm starting to doubt the stronger back end wave and feel that a more sheared out approach like the GGEM or GFS is the way to go. That arctic wave is going to eventually punt this OTS, question is when.

The PV was more pronounced on all the models at 12z today except the Euro. Weird.

Look at the terrible job Euro did with todays storm. Remember it had several runs where it was the only model showing a significant storm for today. GFS and others beat it terribly. Now today it shows rain, after last night's run showed temps falling into the teens during the snow? I don't know what has happened to Euro. Used to be a great model but now its terrible.

Look at the terrible job Euro did with todays storm. Remember it had several runs where it was the only model showing a significant storm for today. GFS and others beat it terribly. Now today it shows rain, after last night's run showed temps falling into the teens during the snow? I don't know what has happened to Euro. Used to be a great model but now its terrible.

It seems like the Euro has done terrible right after they upgraded it.

was going to post something regarding the general insane cold push similar to this. the EURO doesn't really match up with the other US/global models currently. it also crapped the bed with todays storm as well

The Euro has crapped the bed earlier this winter when the gfs was superior, as well as today's storm so the Euro is not a godsend model by any means especially in this time frame. It's often deadly within 3 days but it's verification scores are similar to the other models at day 5 and beyond. 

And don't give me if nailed the previous storm when it was further west either. That was a large, pure miller A, something the Euro tends to do much better on. The solution depends on the northern stream features like the PV, which models like the gfs have a better handle on. Now that doesn't mean it's wrong by any means but it doesn't mean it's right either. 

Archived