• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2- 4 Snowstorm Potential

NEG NAO

Are you saying that the models are overdone? Because every single piece of guidance right now is showing this.

Yes.  Daytime max std deviation for NYC in early March is approximately 9 to 9.5 degrees.  A temp in the mid teens is accordingly over a 3 sigma departure.  This is equivalent to a daytime max in mid January of about 5F.  

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

March 2007 had temps in the teens during the sleet storm

In the AM hours, the temp passed 20 in early afternoon on March 7.

This is also one event of the many hundreds of early March storms we have had.  Pointing out one example as a means to justify a higher probability of the event occurring is a logical fallacy.

We're in a perfect position now.....the good thing. We're in a perfect position now....the bad thing ! Chances are this will trend one way or another, and these events usually tend to trend further north with the overrunning. It's a thin line we're on here between 12" of snow staying snow, and mainly rain with 1" of snow. At this time, I feel the chance of 12" is very low, 6" is low, and 3" is a fair chance. This storm definitely has potential, but I would be very cautious about biting on to any model runs at this point 5 days out. Cheers! May we be very stormy!

Sent from my iPhone

It snowed in October 2011, with a sun angle a month after summer ended. April 2004 6"+ fell on long Island S+ rates even at around freezing  overrides sun angle which I have to admit is overrated.  I have seen moderate snow in mid January not stick. Many factors go into the equation. Blizzard of 1888 (Mid March)  temps in the teens

So what is ur argument? That we will max out in the 20's? Okay but more then half that 2007 sleet storm was spent in the teens. As forecast right now this will be the coldest march storm since 2007

That doesn't change the fact that it is HIGHLY unlikely to occur in the fashion in which it's modeled.  Daytime temps in the teens in early March along the coast are almost unheard of.  The fact that you can only cite one example in recent history is proof of that.

In the AM hours, the temp passed 20 in early afternoon on March 7.

This is also one event of the many hundreds of early March storms we have had. Pointing out one example as a means to justify a higher probability of the event occurring is a logical fallacy.

But those hundreds of March storms did not have a -epo a pv to our north with a high pressure draining cold air into our area. You ignoring the set-up is more ignorant, especially when ur comparing it to diff set-ups.

It snowed in October 2011, with a sun angle a month after summer ended. April 2004 6"+ fell on long Island S+ rates even at around freezing  overrides sun angle which I have to admit is overrated.  I have seen moderate snow in mid January not stick. Many factors go into the equation. Blizzard of 1888 (Mid March)  temps in the teens

to be fair, the sun angle is just as strong now as it was during the October storm.  

That doesn't change the fact that it is HIGHLY unlikely to occur in the fashion in which it's modeled.  Daytime temps in the teens in early March along the coast are almost unheard of.  The fact that you can only cite one example in recent history is proof of that.

just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it never will. fact is this storm is going to have a HISTORICALLY cold air mass for the beginning of march and with temps around 20 degrees sticking should not be an issue what so ever.

That doesn't change the fact that it is HIGHLY unlikely to occur in the fashion in which it's modeled. Daytime temps in the teens in early March along the coast are almost unheard of. The fact that you can only cite one example in recent history is proof of that.

this is an epic season with an epic -epo. ...it is possible that it will happen.

just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it never will. fact is this storm is going to have a HISTORICALLY cold air mass for the beginning of march and with temps around 20 degrees sticking should not be an issue what so ever.

He has been proven wrong Many times this winter with the cold.

Chris , this is going to be a cold storm at the surface ,  You prob don`t see 12 inches of snow accumulate  on 6th and 57 in the city, ( BUT MOST ON THE BOARD WILL  )  this is going to be a widespread Snow event . NYC UHI  should not be the measuring stick for this. 

I didn't say it never would.  I said it was highly unlikely, as in <5% chance of occurring (which I think matches up statistically).

The snow will stick if it's cold enough and heavy enough, just as it does all year. The snow will have to be a little heavier now than it would in January for the same snow accumulation, but anything from light snow and up with temperatures in the 20s will be fine everywhere. The snow was sticking to the roads here in Midtown this morning. The sun angle is really overrated.

Chris , this is going to be a cold storm at the surface ,  You prob don`t see 12 inches of snow accumulate  on 6th and 57 in the city, ( BUT MOST ON THE BOARD WILL  )  this is going to be a widespread Snow event . NYC UHI  should not be the measuring stick for this. 

welcome to the march 2-4 banter thread paul....

I was referencing daytime highs in the teens on Monday.

Chris , this is going to be a cold storm at the surface , You prob don`t see 12 inches of snow accumulate on 6th and 57 in the city, ( BUT MOST ON THE BOARD WILL ) this is going to be a widespread Snow event . NYC UHI should not be the measuring stick for this.

silly question but does Brooklyn have uhi

Archived