Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 2- 4 Snowstorm Potential

NEG NAO

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snow totals are irrelevant at this point...not worth looking at a million maps and algorithims especially at this range. But the setup as modeled on the GFS advertises for a broad area of 1-2 feet.

Agreed.  I would love to see 50+ hours of snowfall, regardless of intensity.  Any ideas on records for that type of thing (granted, it looked like a break on Sunday).

Uncle w?

That northern shortwave that dives down could actually be bad where it could squash the overrunning, forcing the cold front south. 

Yeah.  This.  Agreed.  This is right where you want it with some upside, but seeing it tick S is worrisome with so much time to go.

I think it was jm yesterday that mentioned that these do tend to tick back N at the very end.  So keeping it somewhat like this for a few more runs would certainly be encouraging. 

Right now the insane northern stream energy is being shown to shear out what's left of the southern stream vort. If the two could end up phasing the last wave to come through would be epic.

if you look its really not that far off from doing that but if it does oh boy it would be nothing short of weenie's wet dream. having the GFS east with the wave development off the coast isn't too concerning but not sure if the S&E bias would apply to this however

Not to weenie out, but the GFS was close to showing something, very special. 

What it did show was very special, even if the last wave ends up largely weak and sheared out. I'm still favoring the Euro look which is more consolidated at the backend which would bring a burst of heavier snow Monday night, and also cause things to wrap up a bit faster than what the GFS is showing.

anyone looking at these snowfall maps for a system that has (at best) 0.5'-1"/hr rates in early March is fooling themselves.

Sigh. Dude it will stick if this storm happens. Look at today!! It's going to be in the 20s if the Euro and GFS are correct. And yes it will melt quicker than it would earlier in the season. But if you don't think this snow will stick if the storm happens the way the models show it, I don't know what to tell you

anyone looking at these snowfall maps for a system that has (at best) 0.5'-1"/hr rates in early March is fooling themselves.

It amazes me that people like you are treating this as if it were April already. The antecedent air mass is more typical of January and the sun angle will have little to no effect. Maybe in Manhatten proper which always has sticking issues. UHI factor.

Archived