• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 28-March 3rd Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

usually when I read this from a poster inside 72 hours of an event I'm thinking :weenie: .   But I have to admit there is virtually no consensus right now and models are still flip flopping amongst themselves.   I mentioned in the Ohio thread that the 12z runs were comical for Ohio.   The ggem shows ZERO accumulations south of i70, while the euro has the axis of heaviest in southern OH.  

Safe to say, the whole idea of this needing better sampling is spot on this time.

I couldn't agree more man. actually some better sampling or understanding of the northern stream energy will help to b/c the placement of this boundary/arctic air will be the biggest factor is determining where this storm in the SW is goin to track. I don't know how good the upper air network is in Canada as far as sampling goes. this powerful system is actually only a small piece of this complicated puzzle for this storm b/c even if this storm remains quite strong and doesn't shear out as much as models have it, it still is goin to track where that boundary sets up 

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't agree more man. actually some better sampling or understanding of the northern stream energy will help to b/c the placement of this boundary/arctic air will be the biggest factor is determining where this storm in the SW is goin to track. I don't know how good the upper air network is in Canada as far as sampling goes. this powerful system is actually only a small piece of this complicated puzzle for this storm b/c even if this storm remains quite strong and doesn't shear out as much as models have it, it still is goin to track where that boundary sets up 

post-14-0-70811600-1393642279_thumb.png

What?  I don't see this way north thing.

I was joking. LOL. im saying the confidence in the forecast is so low b/c models are still flip flopping. nam just went from putting the heavy snow axis from near STL now up to northern Iowa. im not buying into any solution right now. the consensus is horrible. waiting for runs tmrw to make final call

What?  I don't see this way north thing.

I think he's referring to the first wave, but it was always suppose to be further north, just not nearly as wet and strong.  Originally that was always suppose to be a light teaser for us before the main event.  Now it IS the main event for us, and the follow up is south and out.  Or were there 3 waves and that's the second????

my head hurts :blink:

Some of you know that I have been very bullish on the system for LAF since before this thread was created.  I've been watching with some alarm as the third wave has seemed to slow down.  By Sunday morning dry and cold air moves into the area from H85 to the surface before the precip can get into the area, both taking the track somewhat south and drying up the QPF in the dryer sector.  Now going with less than 4" at LAF.  Confidence is less that average, but it's look like the 0z run of the NAM has initialized fairly well north of the Montana/Canadian border. Hope I'm wrong. 

I was joking. LOL. im saying the confidence in the forecast is so low b/c models are still flip flopping. nam just went from putting the heavy snow axis from near STL now up to northern Iowa. im not buying into any solution right now. the consensus is horrible. waiting for runs tmrw to make final call

I think part of the problem in assessing north/south trends is with the multiple waves involved.  NAM trending toward a less impressive wave for Sunday gives the illusion of it shifting from St. Louis to Iowa.

Imagine if we all wasted about 5 days for essentially a marginally interesting event, not just here either, up the East Coast look to go from a big event to a small event with the runs tonight. Honestly if anyone is still championing this current pattern they need to think twice, as we are way too northern stream dominant and it is god awfully dry and cold.

Archived