• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 28-March 3rd Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

It's pretty good mind you, and certainly way above average...but we also saw two 6"+ events in an 8 day span in Feb 2007. That to me was a lot more rare/historic.

Now, a couple of locations around LAF have seen two 10"+ events this winter (Jan 5 and Feb 4-5). That's up there on the all time scale.

And I was wrong about the 12z NAM for LAF...last piece does get in here with about 0.50" QPF. Would be a solid hit.

We saw two 10"+ storms in a 7-day span New Years week this winter. Little things like that that get completely overlooked by the media and even the NWS when tallying all the impressive numbers from a winter like this, but in a strange way, they are some of the rarest feats to do!

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2nd wave is interesting here. Short range models (NAM/SREFs/RGEM) all fairly bullish, with the SREF mean now over 5". I think that's pushing it but around 3" sounds reasonable as a consensus number for these models.

Globals in contrast are terrible. First wave misses just to the north, second just to the south, and the third wave way south. 12z GFS was an improvement though.

With the last storm that shot up through Wisconsin, GFS/Euro/CMC had the correct track over Madison, and NAM had the track over Lake Michigan until 12 hrs before when it corrected west by 150 miles..

Think I will be watching GFS/Euro

quote name="Chicago WX" post="2836515" timestamp="1393593565"]Great agreement between the 6z GFS and NAM. Where the GFS has the heaviest snow...the NAM has little to nothing. For LAF, it's either 0.0" or 12.0"+. :lol:  :axe:

6z NAM...

attachicon.gif2:28 6z NAM clown.gif

6z GFS...

attachicon.gif2:28 6z gfs clown.gif

To be clear, I know of no one that is giving the NAM any credence with this event...right now. That one post of mine was just a "for fun comparison". Nothing more, nothing less. 

mmmhmmmmm ;)

Looks like my companies two main offices could both end up with big snows from the same system.

mmmhmmmmm ;)

Looks like my companies two main offices could both end up with big snows from the same system.

Where's that?

12z GGEM actually came north a bit from its 0z run for us, or maybe a little wetter...but it was on the southern edge of the guidance. Looks like a good hit from northern MO to OH.

It's not much but the PV lobe up over Canada is further south on the 12z GFS compared to the 6z run which is obviously causing the southern track.

I was watching the 12z GFS roll in and it really was a small difference but it was evident by tonight...so hopefully that means the models stop bouncing around tonight, wherever they end up. Sampling of the energy off the CA coast will help too although the PV is probably going to dominate so any small shifts with the PV will probably at the end of the day control where this goes IMO.

2nd wave is interesting here. Short range models (NAM/SREFs/RGEM) all fairly bullish, with the SREF mean now over 5". I think that's pushing it but around 3" sounds reasonable as a consensus number for these models.

Globals in contrast are terrible. First wave misses just to the north, second just to the south, and the third wave way south. 12z GFS was an improvement though.

This is crazy with the models.  I wonder if the 2nd wave is going to be stronger for us.  This winter there has been systems have increased strength as we approached.

I actually would not mind a 3 part system ... this could be a very good way to 'spread the wealth' if the 3rd wave is south. 

Only concern 'damage wise' would be ice storm amounts in parts of IN/OH in the 2nd wave followed by a decent snow in the 3rd wave.

Hmmmm ... This pattern configuration has toyed with the models this winter!!

I was watching the 12z GFS roll in and it really was a small difference but it was evident by tonight...so hopefully that means the models stop bouncing around tonight, wherever they end up. Sampling of the energy off the CA coast will help too although the PV is probably going to dominate so any small shifts with the PV will probably at the end of the day control where this goes IMO.

Exactly, such a subtle difference. Still think there is room to come back north. There was such good ensemble support with the 6z for it. 

Archived