joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 28-March 3rd Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

06z GFS is literally a long duration pixie dust storm verbatim for Detroit. The highest any 6hr shows for QPF is a whopping 0.10". I'll pass on that crap again.

actually...it shows 0.12" in a 6hr period...and there is no reason to assume its pixie dust either. Plus it gets us closer to beating a centuries old record. Bring it on.

Great agreement between the 6z GFS and NAM. Where the GFS has the heaviest snow...the NAM has little to nothing. For LAF, it's either 0.0" or 12.0"+. :lol:  :axe:

6z NAM...

attachicon.gif2:28 6z NAM clown.gif

6z GFS...

attachicon.gif2:28 6z gfs clown.gif

Good thing is the NAM is complete garbage until about 24hrs out.  06z GFS and Euro are pretty similar, which should bode well for those areas.

The one thing is, the NAM hasn't been exclusively garbage outside 24 hrs this winter and has been the first to catch on to NW trends a couple times. It's weird having it sitting there as a far south outlier.

All that said, it's an obvious toss given the complete lack of consensus and will likely capitulate to a GFS/Euro blend solution.

Great agreement between the 6z GFS and NAM. Where the GFS has the heaviest snow...the NAM has little to nothing. For LAF, it's either 0.0" or 12.0"+. :lol:  :axe:

6z NAM...

attachicon.gif2:28 6z NAM clown.gif

6z GFS...

attachicon.gif2:28 6z gfs clown.gif

Have to love clown maps. Spot in IN/OH border has 15"+ per GFS and not a flake per NAM :lmao: Oh those models...

The one thing is, the NAM hasn't been exclusively garbage outside 24 hrs this winter and has been the first to catch on to NW trends a couple times. It's weird having it sitting there as a far south outlier.

All that said, it's an obvious toss given the complete lack of consensus and will likely capitulate to a GFS/Euro blend solution.

I think the NAM was initially a southern/eastern outlier at first with the 1/5 storm. Then it jumped well northwest and was pretty close after the jump.

Good thing is the NAM is complete garbage until about 24hrs out.  06z GFS and Euro are pretty similar, which should bode well for those areas.

Yeah...thought it was funny, as you can't get much different between two models inside 4 days.

Still not sure what to expect here though. Hoosier hammering, seemingly rooting for, the 7/10 split has me a bit concerned. 

actually...it shows 0.12" in a 6hr period...

Whoops!!! My mistake! :lmao:

As far as the record, it would be nice to hit it, but I'm not pressed over it. Just no more grinders.

And as far as the type of snow event, I'd bet on seeing fine splitting flakes or pixie dust over the fluffy/high ratio stuff, given that we'll be well north of the best lift/moisture (even on the 06z GFS).

Whoops!!! My mistake! :lmao:

As far as the record, it would be nice to hit it, but I'm not pressed over it. Just no more grinders.

And as far as the type of snow event, I'd bet on seeing fine splitting flakes or pixie dust over the fluffy/high ratio stuff, given that we'll be well north of the best lift/moisture (even on the 06z GFS).

Hey, 0.02 is 0.02" lmaosmiley.gif

I think there is a way to look up DGZ in the models (not sure if it goes this far out though?) so technically you can probably tell what kind of ratios the GFS is intimating. But really I wouldnt even waste my time on such details at this stage. Clown map have a spot in IN/OH border that has 15" per GFS and 0.0" per NAM. Still all over the place.

I know you dislike grinders, but have you noticed how dirty the snow looks in spots? Might as well cover it up and go for that record. smile.png Spring wont get here any faster, so what the hell.

One of the more impressive one run jumps this winter.

Also, looks like half the 6z GFS ensemble members bring the .75" liquid line up to or past us.

I mentioned the 6z GEFS last page, would be really nice to see some of these north/wetter shifts stick instead of just flipping back south on the next run. The GFS in particular seems to be the most consistent with the general idea but even it is wobbling back and forth each run with how far north sunday comes.  Hoping for nice trends with 12z/0z...i have no interest in a 48 hr moderate hit but I'm always game for a big dog.

One of the more impressive one run jumps this winter.

Also, looks like half the 6z GFS ensemble members bring the .75" liquid line up to or past us.

LOT's current grid forecasts highs in the low 20s. I assume a better track for this area would tick the temp up a couple degrees, but it seems like this would be a good ratio event regardless.

Archived