joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 28-March 3rd Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since it is being discussed quite a bit, I was just reading through the January 4-5 event thread. It's not as similar as I had thought.

I've never understood the comparisons. That was a totally different evolution/storm system.

Back to real time...12z NAM hitting your hood good at 42 hours.

I've never understood the comparisons. That was a totally different evolution/storm system.

Back to real time...12z NAM hitting your hood good at 42 hours.

yeah, i was getting both long duration events mixed up in my head, but you're correct totally different.

and yeah, 12z NAM is quality with the Sat night snows for Chicagoland. Sunday probably still a miss south but it's slowly working its way back to the pack.

Good day to all, I am new here; appreciated reading your comments. I am retired airline flight dispatcher and flight weather forecaster, Chicago area 30 years.  Noted from Day 3 forward the Euro/ECMWF tends to exceed GFS/GEM in accuracy over US by about 33%.  Asking your opinion, experience, views in comparison.

Also, for Chicago-Detroit don't see more than 4-6 inches of snow thru March 5th.

Potential historic ice-storm as mT moisture from Pacific + mT moisture from Gulf + cA over central US = 24-36 hr overrunning WAA icing event.  March 2-4.

Wow thats got to be up there for all-time for you guys! I have had 5 (well, 4 storms plus the system+front on 1-26/27 dropped over 6" in less than 24 hrs so I counted it as one)

It's pretty good mind you, and certainly way above average...but we also saw two 6"+ events in an 8 day span in Feb 2007. That to me was a lot more rare/historic.

Now, a couple of locations around LAF have seen two 10"+ events this winter (Jan 5 and Feb 4-5). That's up there on the all time scale.

And I was wrong about the 12z NAM for LAF...last piece does get in here with about 0.50" QPF. Would be a solid hit.

Here is latest model diagnostic discussion from NCEP quoted

..SHORTWAVE OVER THE FOUR CORNERS REGION SHEARING RAPIDLY ACROSS THE SOUTHERN TIER OF THE NATION FRI AND SAT...

PREFERENCE: NON-NAM CONSENSUS
CONFIDENCE: ABOVE AVERAGE

THE 00Z NAM IS A RELATIVELY STRONG OUTLIER COMPARED TO THE MULTI-MODEL CONSENSUS WITH THE CURRENT ENERGY SHEARING ACROSS THE FOUR CORNERS REGION AND ADVANCING RAPIDLY DOWNSTREAM ACROSS THE SRN PLAINS AND TWD THE SOUTHEAST U.S. OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS. THE 00Z ECMWF/00Z UKMET/00Z GEM GLOBAL AND 00Z GFS ARE VERY WELL CLUSTERED TOGETHER THROUGH THE PERIOD. A NON-NAM CONSENSUS
WILL BE PREFERRED.

...ARCTIC FRONT CROSSING THE MIDWEST AND DRAPING SOUTH ACROSS THE
OHIO VALLEY AND MID-ATLANTIC SUN AND MON...

PREFERENCE: BLEND OF THE 00Z ECMWF/12Z ECENS MEAN AND THE 00Z GEFS MEAN
CONFIDENCE: BELOW AVERAGE

ASIDE FROM THE 00Z UKMET WHICH IS A LITTLE SLOW...THE MODELS ARE SIMILAR IN MOVING LOW PRESSURE THROUGH SOUTHEAST CANADA SAT INTO SUN. AS MENTIONED BEFORE...GREATER UNCERTAINTY EXISTS AS TO THE SOUTHWARD PUSH OF THE ATTENDANT ARCTIC FRONT DOWN ACROSS THE OH VLY AND THE MID-ATLANTIC REGION AS THE AFOREMENTIONED LOW MOVES
THROUGH SOUTHEAST CANADA. THE ARCTIC BOUNDARY WILL SLOW ITS SOUTHWARD ADVANCE BENEATH A STRENGTHENING WEST-SOUTHWESTERLY CONFLUENT FLOW ALOFT WHICH WILL BE ENHANCED BY HEIGHT RISES OVER THE SOUTHEAST. THE 00Z GFS IS SOUTH OF THE MULTI-MODEL
CONSENSUS...WITH THE 00Z NAM AT LEAST INITIALLY FARTHER NORTH BEFORE ITS BOUNDARY SETTLES FARTHER SOUTH CLOSE TO THAT OF THE GFS. THE 00Z GEM GLOBAL AND 00Z UKMET BOTH TRENDED MORE SUPPRESSED...BUT NOT QUITE TO THE EXTENT OF THE GFS. THE 00Z ECMWF
SPLITS THE DIFF ESP BETWEEN THE UKMET AND GFS SOLNS. THE 00Z GEFS MEAN AND 12Z ECENS MEAN SUPPORT STRONGER AGREEMENT WITH THE ECMWF OVERALL...WITH THE 21Z SREF MEAN APPEARING TO BE TOO FAR NORTH. CONFIDENCE REMAIN LIMITED...BUT BASED ON THE LATEST TRENDS...WILL SUPPORT A BLEND OF THE LATEST GEFS MEAN/ECENS MEAN AND ECMWF.

NCEP WINTER WEATHER COMMENT RE MODELS HANDLING OF MARCH 2-4 STORM:

WITH THE NAM'S HANDLING OF THE SOUTHERN STREAM WAVE NOT A PREFERRED SOLUTION...CONTINUED TO LEAN MORE HEAVILY ON A GFS/ECMWF BLEND. HOWEVER...THE GFS BEGINS TO MOVE TO THE SLOW/AMPLIFIED SIDE OF THE GUIDANCE WITH RESPECT TO A SURFACE WAVE DEVELOPING OVER THE TN VALLEY LATE IN THE PERIOD. THEREFORE CUT BACK AMOUNTS FROM THE GFS ACROSS THE MID MS VALLEY BACK IN EASTERN KS ON DAY 3.

we'll see, i'm not going to take that kind of QPF seriously unless it gains support. The euro has been doing well with QPF lately and is much drier with that wave.

FWIW, the UKMET and GGEM have about 0.3" liquid tomorrow night here. If the GFS and Euro also come in wetter, the NAM may be onto something, though it could still be a bit overdone. Excellent fgen signal with good convergence at 850 and the LLJ induced by the incoming southern stream wave will slow the southward progression of the baroclinic zone.

FWIW, the UKMET and GGEM have about 0.3" liquid tomorrow night here. If the GFS and Euro also come in wetter, the NAM may be onto something, though it could still be a bit overdone. Excellent fgen signal with good convergence at 850 and the LLJ induced by the incoming southern stream wave will slow the southward progression of the baroclinic zone.

definitely something to watch, thanks

Archived