• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
February 25th-26th snow threat disco and obs

attml

it's not even that big of a surprise...models started to hone in 36 hours ago and all showed measurable in the 0.05" range..not sure why "flurries".  It was clear we would get at least some steady light snow...and the short range guidance confirmed that last night...that we would see a few hours of snow....in the end, snow really isnt a big deal, so I kind of like that they arent making a big deal out of it

true, I was using "surprise" as more of what you'd expect to hear from someone who ignored guidance and played the other bet -- i also love that's its not a big deal -- it was great seeing the neighborhood children line up at the bus stop, looking baffled as though it was ridiculous that they'd be headed to school while snow was actively falling

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure, but at what point do you disregard short range guidance that has actually done a half decent job this winter?

I dunno. I was 'wrong' on this one myself at least IMBY. I favored n and w also. An event like this lies right along the weakness envelope in so many ways other than it being cold aloft. All of a sudden short range models that are derided are the best and forecasters suck because 0.1" liquid is a tricky game. I wasn't paying enough attention this morning to say how bad the nowcasting was.

I dunno. I was 'wrong' on this one myself at least IMBY. I favored n and w also. An event like this lies right along the weakness envelope in so many ways other than it being cold aloft. All of a sudden short range models that are derided are the best and forecasters suck because 0.1" liquid is a tricky game. I wasn't paying enough attention this morning to say how bad the nowcasting was.

I wasn't referring to you, literally.

I wasn't referring to you, literally.

I know.. I think verbatim the models did fairly well as of late last night at least. We have such a long history of 1" snow events failing its hard to ignore. Hindsight..

Does Manchester have two feet from this storm yet?

Not quite....

***********************STORM TOTAL ICE***********************

LOCATION          STORM TOTAL     TIME/DATE   COMMENTS                  

ICE           OF

/INCHES/   MEASUREMENT

MARYLAND

...ALLEGANY COUNTY...

OLDTOWN                  T   827 AM                 

CUMBERLAND               T   743 AM                  

...CARROLL COUNTY...

MANCHESTER                5.9   813 AM PUBLIC                 

...FREDERICK COUNTY...

FREDERICK                T   750 AM                  

EMMITSBURG               T   744 AM   

Good ground covering here in Crystal City.  I am directly across the GW Pkwy from DCA, so they should have measurable precip unless a couple hundred yards makes a quantum difference.

Agreed. Also in Crystal City. DCA tower is 1/4 mile from my window. I can see it, but it's a very snowy view. Visibility under 1/2 for sure.

I'm working from "home".....I'll measure and you can tack on the usual since you live in a better spot than me :(

Last measurements on way to metro looks like right about 1".. So still coming down good prior measure was like 25 min ago.

Archived