• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MET Winter Grading 2013-2014 (Dec 1 - Feb 28)

free_man

Grade Winter 2013-2014  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What's your grade?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When calculating my grade there are 2 criteria's I'll use

1) Temperatures 

2) Snowfall 

3) Overall pattern 

While the world knows how much I despise the cold weather, when dealing with winter and the cold months, as Kevin likes to say, seasons should perform as seasons, and given the latitude we're located at, winter should feature cold temperatures, cold snaps, and periods of long sustaining cold.  

This winter featured exactly that.  While we did have some brief periods where we saw moderating temperatures and temperatures which ran above-average at times, that should also be expected at our latitude, however, these occurrences should be brief and the exception rather than the rule.  

When it comes to snowfall, considering the author of the thread wants a more personal view, I'll use snowfall in my area as opposed to the region as a whole.  I will also use BDL as a comparison as I don't have records for my location.  

Also, when taking account into snowfall, I have to ask myself, did most of the snow fall in a short period of time?  Was the snowfall spread out over the course of the season?  How many/size of the storms?

Up until February 1st, BDL had only recorded 23'' of snowfall, not exactly sure of the number but the average from December through January should yield probably just over 30'' of snowfall...so snowfall the first two months was certainly down for that period, however, some of that was just a result of bad luck.  The month of February, however, has been much more kind as BDL has received 27'' of snow this month as not only has this month been active, but the size of the storms have been fairly big as well.  

When taking into account the overall pattern, this includes how active the storm track was along with the overall state of the pattern...was it dominated by more troughing?  more ridging?  many transition periods?  

Overall we saw a pattern which has featured ridging out west into Alaska and the Arctic and this has allowed more in the way of troughing to setup across the east and for the polar vortex to become displaced pretty far south at times.  As the STJ started to become more active, and with the PV/Arctic jet nearby, this has led to numerous pieces of energy really going to town and creating an active pattern at times.  

Given all the above, I'll give this a grade of B overall...in fact perhaps even B+.  This winter my area has been right on cue with average snowfall...actually given this is DJF period, even slightly above given the active February.  It's hard to go any lower than that given where I stand with regards to snowfall...all you can hope for if you receive no less than 5-7'' from your average.  Temperature wise...well it certainly felt like what you'd expect.  

When issuing an "A" or higher...you have to have something extraordinary...tons of snow (well above the average), very active patterns, temperatures performing below-average.

For the voting...I will go ahead and say B+  

The problem with the poll is that march frequently is snowier than December and it seems you're leaving that out.

So I can't grade winter until at least the equinox.

As of now it's good. But it has epic potential.

I don't think it's a real problem...I think he's just asking more of thoughts on just meteorological winter.  

But I do agree...after March we should fire up a similar poll and then see how answers and vary and such.  

I don't think it's a real problem...I think he's just asking more of thoughts on just meteorological winter.

But I do agree...after March we should fire up a similar poll and then see how answers and vary and such.

But....a year ago we had the blizzard but if March had been meh winter would have had a different feel. March is a winter month New England. End of story.

But....a year ago we had the blizzard but if March had been meh winter would have had a different feel. March is a winter month New England. End of story.

Normally I agree with you Jerry but, not so fast.  How was that March in 2012?

Wiz, good post above..nice recap.

I see what you're saying and I don't disagree.  

I guess my point is you can conducted a poll two ways...one which includes met. winter and the other which includes December-March...then you just compare the results of each person from one poll to the other and that would be a way of showing or reinforcing ideas that March can be a very good month in terms of producing snowfall.  

I encourage any NNE posters to participate if they would like to, as there has definitely been a regional split this season.

Going with a solid B for this locale.  We walked a fine line here in CNE, missing a few storms but also grabbing some of the typical interior events/minor snowfalls that skimmed SNE. 

The cold was vodka cold.  February has been awesome, definitely memorable ( this recent warm spell aside, which hurts a bit).  The first half (or so) of winter was a solid C.  Very mild stretches, very cold stretches with little room for average temps.

February definitely saved the day for the met winter.

stupid poll based not on climo but arbitrary dates

As has been said, it's based upon Meteorological winter (Dec 1st - Mar 1st).  

I understand that it snows in the Spring, but at this point it's "garbage time" for most, and it often melts as soon as it falls.  Jerry mentioned this in the other thread (2" in April)

Last year's March storm was a perfect example....firehose 20" along the coast, that was gone in literally a day.

Your opinion may be different and I respect that, but there's nothing arbitrary about the time-frame. lol

As has been said, it's based upon Meteorological winter (Dec 1st - Mar 1st).

I understand that it snows in the Spring, but at this point it's "garbage time", and it often melts as soon as it falls. Jerry mentioned this in the other thread (2" in April)

Last year's March storm was a perfect example....firehose 20" along the coast, that was gone in literally a day.

Your opinion may be different and I respect that, but there's nothing arbitrary about the time-frame. lol

You ask the NNE folks how much March is spring, yet you asked them to grade. Met winter is far from climo winter especially for you North.

You ask the NNE folks how much March is spring, yet you asked them to grade. Met winter is far from climo winter especially for you North.

MET winter is the heart of winter, to me.  You may disagree, but I'm not cherry-picking a time-frame to suit an agenda as you imply.

Agree about NNE snow climo, it's more wintry in March to the north.  I didn't ask them to grade but did encourage, so they can feel free to grade MET winter, too.

MET winter grading us dumb. Just grade the whole season since many have March to still pile on seasonal snow. That's fine if that's how you want to grade it, but when some have almost 15-20% of seasonal snowfall left..sort of does the winter season a disservice.

Both PWM and CON basically average as much in March as they do in December.

No entered vote yet for obvious reasons. Hypothetically the region could get back to back 1' snowstorms. That could change many grades.

I grow a beard every winter from season freeze to first 70°F. This years is a humdinger thick long and whiter each passing year. LOL

To date a solid B which could change to an A dependent on March.

I voted within the parameters of the prompt, according to the minimum grade I think this winter has already secured in my part of quasi-SNE. A- based on long stretches of bitter cold, long-lasting and durable snowpack, the big Valentine's Day storm, and lots of cool intermittent events/unusual phenomena (sleet, thunderstorms, fog). It has felt like a bona fide north-country winter with a convective flare at times. There were some snooze-worthy stretches in the first 1/3 so A- might be generous, and if we fail to get any more significant events, I'd probably consider dropping the season as a whole down to a B or B+. However, I do believe there is more snow to come, so I foresee either maintaining or even raising my rating instead of downgrading it.

I will start a poll July 1st for severe weather grades, capiche? How is anyone going to be negative? I have no idea what the heck you are talking about.

Go ahead!

There was nothing wrong with this thread.  Just a subjective question asking people what their thoughts are on how meteorological winter thus far.  It wasn't asking their overall opinion of the winter as a whole.  

You could do the same thing virtually after any month and at the end you do a question about the season as a whole and then you can go back and see how results varied and changed over time.  

Archived