Newest Member
    Toothache
Area Snow Climo Thread

EastCoast NPZ

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL.

But seriously, what is up with that place?  You'd think it set on a 4,000 ft peak with all the f'in snow it gets.  It has seemingly jackpotted every storm this year.

i know it's crazy -- how does a place with 2-3 times the snow climo of DC, always end up with 2-3 times more snow

hmmm...I was looking through the 3/25 thread and I noticed almost zero pics from the western burbs taken after 9am.....probably looked crappy there too by mid-morning...

Snowed nicely past 9 around BWI iirc as the coastal hung the precip back to the west. 4.1" in that one, was a reminder it could still snow after the heartbreak 3/6 provided to many.

It's from Wiki, but....

Avg snow in Westminster is 20".  That is not even twice DC's climo.  They are having an incredible season relative to DC and most others.  I'm at about 120% climo, but according to the totals thread they are above 200%.  Not sure what DC is relative to climo currently.

that's not right

here's a link to normal snowfall in our area

they are at or above 30", but are still having a huge year, no doubt

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/climate/1981_2010_normals/snowfall_map.php

It's from Wiki, but....

Avg snow in Westminster is 20". That is not even twice DC's climo. They are having an incredible season relative to DC and most others. I'm at about 120% climo, but according to the totals thread they are above 200%. Not sure what DC is relative to climo currently.

I think around actual Westminster they average around 27, just N/w it increases to over 30, but certainly not too much higher than that. I average 18.5 down here in Dundalk, and have 33.5 so around 180% of climo. BWI and their measuring issues have a solid bit less.

Thanks Mitch, Map, and UVV.  Not sure where Wiki gets that climo data then.  Definitely in error.  I looked at more of those 2014 totals, northern Maryland really has had a great year (and it looks like everybody is well above climo in the region now).  Mapgirl has nearly 60" and Manchester has 65".  Those are amazing totals.

It's from Wiki, but....

Avg snow in Westminster is 20".  That is not even twice DC's climo.  They are having an incredible season relative to DC and most others.  I'm at about 120% climo, but according to the totals thread they are above 200%.  Not sure what DC is relative to climo currently.

I think around actual Westminster they average around 27, just N/w it increases to over 30, but certainly not too much higher than that. I average 18.5 down here in Dundalk, and have 33.5 so around 180% of climo. BWI and their measuring issues have a solid bit less.

Wesminster averages 36", 38" in the higher hills

3/26/13--a tiny bit still hanging in there. :)

79B48EEC-7582-4C12-8A35-758F3C9B9019-504

nice.you did well there..plus Charles Town is a pretty far western burb....We did well in Old Town Alexandria, 2.25", and it stuck everywhere easily including main streets....Generally late March events in mid morning are not going to look that great in a downtown business district that is almost purely commercial

Well, wet trashcan toppers are depressing enough by themselves, but I was mainly referring to the person sitting on the bench huddled in a wet-snow covered blanket.

ahh yeah.. you just stop noticing after a while living here. ;)

Thanks Mitch, Map, and UVV.  Not sure where Wiki gets that climo data then.  Definitely in error.  I looked at more of those 2014 totals, northern Maryland really has had a great year (and it looks like everybody is well above climo in the region now).  Mapgirl has nearly 60" and Manchester has 65".  Those are amazing totals.

If you draw a line from Hagerstown to Westminster to York and over to Philiadelphia, that's been the sweet spot this year. I think Philly is over 55 inches and BWI is still under 30 inches. That has got to be one the biggest spreads ever between the two locations.

As far as the snowfall averages go for this area, most of the area averages around 35. The knowledgeable locals say 37 for Manchester and 34-35 for Westminster. The highest hills and ridges push 40. I was told by someone who has lived here for over 40 years that there is a weather observer that has been keeping accurate records for Manchester since the 1960's and his long term average for Manchester is right at 37. As you go east of here towards Mapgirl averages dip but only slightly to around 32 or so.

This topo map shows very clearly why westminster - manchester - parkton will almost always score more than the cities most years. Orographic influence, a little less latitude, and elevation subtracting 2-3 degrees on average from the lowlanders = more snow 98% of the time. 

attachicon.gifparrs.JPG

plus Marcus lives there and he started the weather forums

Archived