• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
2014 Short/Med Range Severe Weather Disco

Chicago Storm

Thursday's setup looks better now with less morning crapvection lingering around though the afternoon.  It looks like the best setup though is way west of the sub out in eastern NE, or western Iowa.  Eastern Iowa points east will get sloppy seconds as the convection craps out moving into more stable air Thu night.

Sunday looks interesting out in southwest Iowa on the Euro.  Also the eastern half of Iowa on Monday.  However the GFS looks completely different. 

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was looking at forecast soundings for tomorrow to see how warm we might get and I couldn't help but notice the very steep mid level lapse rates being progged by the models.  In fact, the 00z NAM has 700-500 mb lapse rates in excess of 9 C/km here.  Looking at the bigger picture, there's an enormous area with similar lapse rates for tomorrow.  My thoughts started to wander and I'm wondering what effect the Central/Western drought may have on severe season in our area.  Anyone know of any studies on this subject, like if it could lead to greater capping/enhanced EMLs when the mid level flow originates from that region?

Was looking at forecast soundings for tomorrow to see how warm we might get and I couldn't help but notice the very steep mid level lapse rates being progged by the models.  In fact, the 00z NAM has 700-500 mb lapse rates in excess of 9 C/km here.  Looking at the bigger picture, there's an enormous area with similar lapse rates for tomorrow.  My thoughts started to wander and I'm wondering what effect the Central/Western drought may have on severe season in our area.  Anyone know of any studies on this subject, like if it could lead to greater capping/enhanced EMLs when the mid level flow originates from that region?

Interesting thought. Makes sense. If it does enhance capping, it would probably be more pronounced in the western part of the subforum with less of an effect as you go east.

Sunday still looking nice on the Euro for southern Iowa points south and southwest.  Monday also still looking decent for the east half of Iowa into IL.  GFS starting to trend towards the Euro.  06z is much less progressive than earlier runs.

Sunday looks interesting on the NAM farther east too.  Only one problem...it's the NAM.

Sunday looks interesting on the NAM farther east too.  Only one problem...it's the NAM.

Everything still looks pretty good for both days on the 12z Euro.  Monday looks really nice for Iowa and southern MN conditionally of course.  If those areas are able to destabilize it could be a pretty interesting day in those areas.  Love the way that mid-upper levels look. 

Per 00z GFS southern Iowa on Sunday definitely looking interesting with the backed surface winds and nice 50kt+ H5 jet moving in later in the day.  The GFS and NAM show the cold front undercutting things pretty quickly across Kansas later in the day.  This would indicate the best tor threat would be up over southern Iowa/northern Missouri associated with the warm front/nose of best instability/theta-e.  The other area would be down in Oklahoma along the dry line, and away from the surging Kansas cold front. 

Of course the Euro has been saying no to the idea of a crashing cold front through Kansas on Sunday, which opens up the whole area from southern NE/southwest IA down into OK for good tor threat.  I'd lean towards the Euro at this point personally.  The GFS has already been trending towards it the last few days, and probably will continue.

The 00z GFS also continues to trend towards a less progressive solution for Monday, much like the Euro.  Still not as slow as the Euro, but trends may continue.  Either way it looks like Monday should be very nice over Iowa/Minnesota.  Nicely timed 60-80kt H5 jet rounds the base of the trough and kicks things off in a big way if instability cooperates lol.

after another brutal week, looks like a legit shot at some prolonged warmth

Not sure if you meant to post this in the long range spring thread, but anyway, it appears like the pattern may turn more favorable for severe prospects again during that time.

Tuesday looks semi-interesting for the eastern half of Iowa into northern IL/southern WI.  Low-level shear is horrific, but the mid-levels are nice, with 40-45kts H5 blowing west to east overhead.  12z GFS maintains a stout cap, but the 00z Euro and the 12z NAM errode it enough to ignite a complex of storms over central Iowa.  Decent bulk shear should allow for organization into some sort of a linear MCS.  Both the Euro and NAM show cape building to over 2000j/kg ahead of the developing complex.  Tor threat looks about nil, but a damaging wind event could develop wherever this ends up setting up. 

5% risk area outlined for Tuesday.  Instability looks pretty good (nothing crazy for this time of year) but SPC thinks the models may be overdoing low level moisture.

No facts to back this up, but it seems that it is a model bias for this area in the late spring.

No facts to back this up, but it seems that it is a model bias for this area in the late spring.

Anectodally I'd agree, though it seems to become less of an issue toward the end of spring and into summer imo...the exception being if there's a deep drought.

Models generally showing a large area of 65+ degree dewpoints in the area on Tuesday.  There are dewpoints in the 60s right now in parts of TX.  My opinion doesn't matter as much but if the models are off I don't think it will be by much...like I don't think we'll be talking about 8-10 degree errors. 

New day 3 outlook for Wednesday has a slight risk area for a good chunk of the OV.

DAY 3 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
0206 AM CDT MON MAY 19 2014

VALID 211200Z - 221200Z

...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS ACROSS THE OH VALLEY AND
PORTIONS OF THE MID MS VALLEY...

...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS ACROSS THE CENTRAL HIGH
PLAINS...

...SUMMARY...
SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS...POSSIBLY SEVERE...ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP
ACROSS THE OH VALLEY AND OVER PORTIONS OF THE CENTRAL HIGH PLAINS.

...OH VALLEY/MID MS VALLEY...

RIDGE-TOPPING SHORT-WAVE TROUGH IS EXPECTED TO DIG SEWD ACROSS THE
UPPER GREAT LAKES REGION INTO THE OH VALLEY DURING THE LATTER HALF
OF THE PERIOD. WHILE STRONGEST MID-LEVEL HEIGHT FALLS/ASCENT SHOULD
SPREAD ACROSS MI/NRN OH/PA...FRONTAL CONVERGENCE ALONG WIND SHIFT
TRAILING ACROSS THE OH VALLEY INTO MO SHOULD PROVE ADEQUATE FOR TSTM
DEVELOPMENT BY MID-AFTERNOON. TRUE MARITIME TROPICAL AIRMASS WILL
STRUGGLE TO ADVANCE INLAND OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS BUT MODELS
CONTINUE TO INSIST A CORRIDOR OF RELATIVELY HIGH PW...1.25
INCH...WILL EXTEND ALONG/AHEAD OF COLD FRONT PRIOR TO CONVECTIVE
DEVELOPMENT. STRENGTHENING NWLY FLOW THROUGH A DEEP LAYER WILL
PROVIDE MORE THAN ADEQUATE SHEAR FOR MAINTENANCE OF ORGANIZED
THUNDERSTORMS. HAVE INTRODUCED 15 PERCENT SEVERE PROBS TO ACCOUNT
FOR HAIL/WIND WITH DAYTIME CONVECTION.

...CENTRAL HIGH PLAINS...

UPPER LOW IS EXPECTED TO DRIFT SWD ACROSS THE GREAT BASIN TO A
POSITION OVER SRN NV BY 22/12Z. A BELT OF STRONGER FLOW ALOFT WILL
EXTEND ACROSS NRN MEXICO THROUGH THE SRN ROCKIES INTO THE CNTRL HIGH
PLAINS OF CO WHERE POST-FRONTAL CONVECTION IS EXPECTED TO EVOLVE
WITHIN UPSLOPE ELY FLOW. IF LOWER 50S SFC DEW POINTS HOLD ACROSS
NERN CO IT APPEARS SIGNIFICANT INSTABILITY MAY BE IN PLACE PRIOR TO
CONVECTIVE INITIATION. NAM FORECAST SOUNDING FOR LIC AT 21Z
EXHIBITS SBCAPE ON THE ORDER OF 2500 J/KG WITH VERTICAL SHEAR
STRONGLY SUPPORTIVE OF SUPERCELLS. FORECAST TEMPERATURE/DEW POINT
SPREADS OF 20F OR LESS SUGGEST A TORNADO THREAT WILL ACCOMPANY
SUPERCELLS THAT DEVELOP NORTH OF THE FRONT...IN ADDITION TO LARGE
HAIL.

..DARROW.. 05/19/2014

post-4544-0-81560500-1400485202_thumb.gi

post-4544-0-18398000-1400485208_thumb.gi

i'd knock em down a point or two but they should be adequate for some high-end garden variety / low end severe

i'd lock this in

nam-hires_namer_039_sim_reflectivity.gif

Perfect for here too, would love storms to end my shift and then drive out to the lake after work to watch the light show.

i'd knock em down a point or two but they should be adequate for some high-end garden variety / low end severe

i'd lock this in

nam-hires_namer_039_sim_reflectivity.gif

1 or 2 degrees shouldn't hurt the setup.  The thing I'm more concerned about is the rather anemic low level flow, although all bets are off if we get an organized/mature MCS.

New day 2 makes mention of a possible MCS developing.

DAY 2 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
1227 PM CDT MON MAY 19 2014

VALID 201200Z - 211200Z

...NO SVR TSTM AREAS FORECAST...

...SUMMARY...
ISOLATED SEVERE STORMS MAY DEVELOP ACROSS PARTS OF THE MIDWEST AND
THE CENTRAL HIGH PLAINS TUESDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

...SYNOPSIS...
A STOUT MID-LEVEL ANTICYCLONE WILL REMAIN ANCHORED OVER THE SRN
PLAINS WITH A RIDGE EMANATING NEWD TOWARDS THE GREAT LAKES AND
NORTHEAST. THIS RIDGE WILL BE DISPLACED E AS A SHORTWAVE TROUGH
GRADUALLY PROGRESSES EWD ALONG THE N-CNTRL CONUS/S-CNTRL CANADIAN
BORDER. ATTENDANT SURFACE CYCLONE WILL SIMILARLY TRACK EWD WITH A
WEAK COLD FRONT ARCING ACROSS THE UPPER MS VALLEY TO CNTRL HIGH
PLAINS ON TUE AFTERNOON. IN THE WEST...AN UPPER-LEVEL TROUGH WILL
EVOLVE INTO A CUTOFF LOW OVER CA/NV.

...MIDWEST...
AN INCREASINGLY MOIST AND POTENTIALLY UNSTABLE AIR MASS WILL DEVELOP
AHEAD OF THE APPROACHING COLD FRONT AS LOWER TO MIDDLE 60S SURFACE
DEW POINTS BECOME ESTABLISHED ACROSS SRN PORTIONS OF WI/LOWER MI ON
SWD. ROBUST DIURNAL HEATING SHOULD YIELD MLCAPE REACHING 1500-2500
J/KG S/W OF LK MI.

LARGE-SCALE ASCENT ALONG THE WEAK COLD FRONT APPEARS NEBULOUS OWING
TO MINIMAL CONVERGENCE ALONG THE BOUNDARY AND THE LLJ REMAINING
WELL-DISPLACED TO THE S OVER THE OH VALLEY TO OZARK PLATEAU. THE
GLANCING PERIPHERY OF MINIMAL MID-LEVEL HEIGHT FALLS IN RESPONSE TO
THE SHORTWAVE TROUGH ALONG THE INTERNATIONAL BORDER MAY FOSTER
SUFFICIENT ASCENT FOR A FEW STORMS TO DEVELOP NEAR THE FRONT ALONG
THE NRN EDGE OF THE EML PLUME/STRONGER CAPPING INVERSION. SHOULD
THIS OCCUR...40-50 KT DEEP-LAYER SHEAR WOULD SUPPORT ORGANIZED
UPDRAFTS CAPABLE OF SEVERE HAIL/WIND...WITH SOME POTENTIAL FOR
UPSCALE GROWTH INTO AN MCS GIVEN THE DEGREE OF INSTABILITY
. BUT WITH
LARGE DISCREPANCIES IN GUIDANCE ON IF/WHERE STORMS MAY FORM ALONG
WITH SUBTLE FORCING MECHANISMS FOR ASCENT...WILL DEFER TO LATER
OUTLOOKS ON A POSSIBLE SLIGHT RISK DELINEATION.

post-4544-0-85364600-1400527538_thumb.gi

New day 2 makes mention of a possible MCS developing.

They also backed off the mention of dew points being too high on the models, basically only thing holding back tomorrow would be location of convective initiation, as it stands I would expect the entire 5% they have currently to be bumped up to 15% for tomorrow.

Archived