CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
2014 Short/Med Range Severe Weather Disco

Chicago Storm

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh, there could be some strong storms, but I'm not seeing anything that screams outbreak.

Not the best setup for severe weather we've seen in the region, but it could still be an active day Tuesday.

As always, what happens on Tuesday and where will be determined by the previous day's convection, and if any significant MCVs develop.

Tuesday won't be an outbreak at least not as currently modeled but if some storms can go up near the warm front there would be an elevated tornado potential. I do admit there is a good amount of instability and great lapse rates so there is a decent potential with Tuesday.

A huge complex of storms stretches from Minnesota to Kansas late this evening.  This will continue to move east overnight before it starts to crap the bed by tomorrow morning.  Such a huge complex of storms will leave a lot of leftover cloudiness for tomorrow over the instability axis.  It's possible there could even be pockets of leftover precip festering in areas through early afternoon.  Typical of a central MW conditional severe setup.  The 4km NAM has pushed things a bit east tomorrow with the convection.  It favors the eastern half of Illinois.  The 00z GFS is further west, and would ignite convection over eastern Iowa.  This is all tied into how tonight's leftovers evolve.  We really won't know much about how tomorrow will evolve until mid to late morning.  Very typical for us poor bastards who reside east of the Plains.

A huge complex of storms stretches from Minnesota to Kansas late this evening.  This will continue to move east overnight before it starts to crap the bed by tomorrow morning.  Such a huge complex of storms will leave a lot of leftover cloudiness for tomorrow over the instability axis.  It's possible there could even be pockets of leftover precip festering in areas through early afternoon.  Typical of a central MW conditional severe setup.  The 4km NAM has pushed things a bit east tomorrow with the convection.  It favors the eastern half of Illinois.  The 00z GFS is further west, and would ignite convection over eastern Iowa.  This is all tied into how tonight's leftovers evolve.  We really won't know much about how tomorrow will evolve until mid to late morning.  Very typical for us poor bastards who reside east of the Plains.

The storms totally collapsed before reaching I-35.  Even Omaha didn't get much out of the weakening line.  Eastern Iowa is pretty much in the clear.  Recent Euro runs have shown the more interesting storms for the CR to Chicago corridor midweek with a bit of a backdoor front.

still not excited about today…instability axis is super narrow and forcing isn't impressive.  Best storms should be just to my southeast later this evening.

into the week looks more interesting.

The HRRR is not very impressed either, just some more "tame" storms firing up later this afternoon. The NAM blows things up, but that seems overdone. Like you said, potentially better action later in the week.

still not excited about today…instability axis is super narrow and forcing isn't impressive.  Best storms should be just to my southeast later this evening.

Only a 5% area currently for Tuesday but you're right where you like to be, on the southern fringe.

Certainly some debris clouds to deal with but there's some sun across the risk area and there should continue to be in the hours to come.  It's kinda concerning that you have to go down to the St. Louis area to find dewpoints currently in the mid 60s but models have this expanding north into most of IL and into WI later today so we'll see.

Only a 5% area currently for Tuesday but you're right where you like to be, on the southern fringe.

The biggest problem I see with Tuesday is the lack of a well-defined trigger.

The main MCV that the models develop comes through way too early on Tuesday (GFS has it in SW Ontario by 18z) to be of much help.

Yup, a huge reservoir of high cape and moisture and decent 850 to 500mb shear, especially Monday night but lingering into Wednesday morning. Hoping for some good MCS action or outflow induced storms during the afternoon.

Certainly some debris clouds to deal with but there's some sun across the risk area and there should continue to be in the hours to come.  It's kinda concerning that you have to go down to the St. Louis area to find dewpoints currently in the mid 60s but models have this expanding north into most of IL and into WI later today so we'll see.

As long as that convection in the Arklatex region continues to diminish, moisture advection shouldn't be a problem, as a pretty decent 30-40kt LLJ is over the region.

The biggest problem I see with Tuesday is the lack of a well-defined trigger.

The main MCV that the models develop comes through way too early on Tuesday (GFS has it in SW Ontario by 18z) to be of much help.

I wouldn't get too hung up on MCV location at this point, models are going to struggle with the mesoscale timing especially at this junction (NAM) or have a hard time parameterizing it (GFS).

I wouldn't get too hung up on MCV location at this point, models are going to struggle with the mesoscale timing especially at this junction (NAM) or have a hard time parameterizing it (GFS).

yep, plus with this type of pattern, triggers are almost always subtle and hard to pick up

Latest hourly obs show dews well into the 60's across Central and Northwest IL.

EDIT: Vis. satellite showing clear skies from South Central WI down through West Central IL.

yep, plus with this type of pattern, triggers are almost always subtle and hard to pick up

Yeah, the big key is the atmosphere is primed for a big day if a trigger is realized.

Fair points. The potential is obviously there for a big day, but there's huge bust potential as well, so I can understand why the SPC isn't being so bullish this far out on the risk area. They'll probably upgrade at least a portion of the 5% area on the Day 2 outlook though.

Some agitated looking cu in eastern Iowa.  Surface flow has veered quite a bit already.  Winds are still backed over northeast IL and eastern WI ahead of a pre-frontal trough.  Looking like there will be two lines of convection to build south out of WI in coming hours.  Instability is coming in less than forecast for days due to lower dews than progged.  Pretty classic for 2014 it seems.  (Hopefully that doesn't happen tomorrow out in Iowa lol).  Severe threat looks pretty meager at this point, but instability should only increase as the afternoon goes on, so the storms that can fire may become marginally severe. 

Some agitated looking cu in eastern Iowa.  Surface flow has veered quite a bit already.  Winds are still backed over northeast IL and eastern WI ahead of a pre-frontal trough.  Looking like there will be two lines of convection to build south out of WI in coming hours.  Instability is coming in less than forecast for days due to lower dews than progged.  Pretty classic for 2014 it seems.  (Hopefully that doesn't happen tomorrow out in Iowa lol).  Severe threat looks pretty meager at this point, but instability should only increase as the afternoon goes on, so the storms that can fire may become marginally severe. 

Or not lol.

Archived