CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
2014 Short/Med Range Severe Weather Disco

Chicago Storm

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wasn't and it snapped power poles there too when it fell on them.

Here is a link to the video I took at 26 and Romeo Plank.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ucuz8qq3eyq6dx2/2014-04-12%2020.14.38.mp4

Damn, I didn't see your post literally right before mine. I'll have to check out that video out when I'm not ony mobile.

Its absolutely incredible to know a tree that big can still be broken like a twig. Do you happen to know the estimated max gust yet for that area?

DMC and Steebo,

Not to double post, but what time did that squal line come through? I attached a pic I took at ~8:15pm. In the picture i'm heading North-Northwest on Utica Rd at Moravian Rd(15.5 mile rd). In that pic, am I seeing a lower cloud deck gusted forward by the wind? Its quite interesting as you can still see that beam of light cutting over the top of deck between itself and the next layer.

Edit: it appears my photo didn't attach. Here's an outside link: http://imgur.com/vyvGuNp

Pretty darn awesome event.  Centriptic the clouds were awesome and yes there was a lower shelf deck.  It had some cool formations and various movements with lots swirls/eddies.  I wish I would have videoed it (didn't even think of it since I was out talking/watching it with the neighbor).  My position was good to see the streaks of lightning too. I did notice the thunder was not very loud for streak only being a mile away but I think the roaring wind had something to do with that.

we'll get some decent scraps later into the evening but heaviest convection has been advertised to our NW for days now.

Yeah NW is the way to go for sure. 1-2" in the grids for tonight. I could care less about that if it doesn't include some excitement. Hell, I'll take even a few lame flashes of lightning at this point. Slow start to storm season imby.

Yeah NW is the way to go for sure. 1-2" in the grids for tonight. I could care less about that if it doesn't include some excitement. Hell, I'll take even a few lame flashes of lightning at this point. Slow start to storm season imby.

It's April 13th, Winter is still a state north of you, how has it been a slow start?

Peak for your area is May/June... lol

It's April 13th, Winter is still a state north of you, how has it been a slow start?

Peak for your area is May/June... lol

You just answered your own question. It's been a somewhat slow start to storm season as the beginning of spring has been pretty cold for many of us. Chicago's first 70° day this spring, for example, was 3 weeks later than the average date. I realize the peak occurs in May/June...thanks for pointing that out. I was just making an observation about the start.

You just answered your own question. It's been a somewhat slow start to storm season as the beginning of spring has been pretty cold for many of us. Chicago's first 70° day this spring, for example, was 3 weeks later than the average date. I realize the peak occurs in May/June...thanks for pointing that out. I was just making an observation about the start.

whatever your reasoning, I think it's too early to say anyone has had a slow start to the severe weather season. Seems right on target to me. Perhaps you're just Winter weary?

whatever your reasoning, I think it's too early to say anyone has had a slow start to the severe weather season. Seems right on target to me. Perhaps you're just Winter weary?

It has been a slow start to severe wx season...not just for our region, but the country as a whole.

plains and southern states yes, lower lakes, doesn't seem so to me but I trust your word over mine.

I'd say it's less of a slow start specifically in the Ohio Valley, compared to the Plains or nationally as a whole.  We've had events like February 20 to bail us out to some degree.

This image speaks volumes.  Severe weather reports through April 10 so it doesn't include yesterday's activity

post-14-0-57693800-1397405080_thumb.gif

DMC and Steebo,

Not to double post, but what time did that squal line come through? I attached a pic I took at ~8:15pm. In the picture i'm heading North-Northwest on Utica Rd at Moravian Rd(15.5 mile rd). In that pic, am I seeing a lower cloud deck gusted forward by the wind? Its quite interesting as you can still see that beam of light cutting over the top of deck between itself and the next layer.

Edit: it appears my photo didn't attach. Here's an outside link: http://imgur.com/vyvGuNp

I took that video at 8:15 last night roughly.

Downtown Lake Orion and points north got absolutely crushed, I'll have some pictures of the aftermath up in a minute. I'd say easily 70-80 mph winds, but you guys can judge.

Looks like the worst was just to the wsw a me about 3-4 miles.  

Lake Orion

Last night I was out with my friend who lives in macomb (24 mi & Romeo Plank) and he said it was just raining when he left...but I talked to him today and he said the power had went out (back on by the time they got home at 3am) and they thought someone stole their patio table. When daylight hit...they found the patio table and chairs in the neighbors yard, the fence was damaged, and 3 of the 4 cushions to the seats were missing.

Tor warning SE of Iowa City, IA with a confirmed tor, and it does have a couplet...So probably not a sheriff-nado.

0600 PM TORNADO 1 WNW LONE TREE 41.49N 91.44W

04/13/2014 JOHNSON IA LAW ENFORCEMENT

A local station just showed video someone took from their car.  It's a pretty clear low end tornado.

Have to vent just a tad... after yesterday's severe storms that went through, facebook just lit right up with "we're in for a really stormy summer, folks"  postings by people with absolutely ZERO met background. It just annoys me when they start with the fearmongering just because we had a hard winter.

Alright, so here's the best photos I got of the aftermath of last night's storm. The first picture was taken about 3 miles SW of Lake Orion, the next two were taken about 2 miles NW of Lake Orion, and the last five were taken within a mile of downtown Lake Orion. I'm estimating 80 mph straight-line winds based on the damage, but perhaps Stebo or someone else more knowledgeable than myself could chime in?

d3GPngn.jpg

ewrTFue.jpg

NSocWle.jpg

QGPxJF2.jpg

Alright, so here's the best photos I got of the aftermath of last night's storm. The first picture was taken about 3 miles SW of Lake Orion, the next two were taken about 2 miles NW of Lake Orion, and the last five were taken within a mile of downtown Lake Orion. I'm estimating 80 mph straight-line winds based on the damage, but perhaps Stebo or someone else more knowledgeable than myself could chime in?

NSocWle.jpg

What's going on in this pic?  Did that pole snap/blow over on its own or did a tree take it down?

Archived