• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014 Short/Med Range Severe Weather Disco

Chicago Storm

Originally I was thinking more along the lines that the second piece would be the one that would be the significant potential, similar to the GFS before tonight's run. Problem is, what looked to have some sort of a model consensus has completely gone awry.

Even the GFS tonight shows better ridging off the west coast and a better trough over the west for the weekend or second piece, but it just looks like a mess with a few pieces of energy in the trough with no one piece becoming dominant.

The s/w in question looks pretty strong though on the Euro and it goes ape with a pronounced negative tilt by 144 hours.  In some ways these types of setups have the potential to be more dangerous...for one, a more meridional trough would likely lead to really crappy mid level lapse rates across the warm sector.

Euro consistency has been impressive but still a little early to bank on it.

You're certainly right. Comparing 500mb height/vorticity maps, the Euro really digs a STJ (I think) s/w Wednesday into Wednesday night and shows it phasing with the northern shortwave on Thursday. If that happens a strong storm is certainly on the table.

What kind of gives me pause here is the Euro is the only 0z op model that digs that piece of energy so far south. The GFS/GEM/UK all show a pretty potent northern stream shortwave but don't dig that other piece of energy so far south. The free maps don't show it all that well, but even at 120, the Euro has a decent piece of energy over the four corners, while the other 3 op models don't really have anything there. If it was an issue of the other models showed the energy but simply missed the phase I may be more optimistic about buying into the Euro. We'll see, the Euro may still be right regardless. It's a relatively small piece of energy somewhere over the Northern Pacific right now, any modeled solution is just as likely to be right as any other with the handling of a little piece of energy like that.

post-525-0-47775200-1392450383_thumb.gif

If the Euro is right the potential for a pretty high end outbreak is on the table. The model suggests lower 70's and 60+ dew points to the Ohio River with insane wind fields, and we've seen what that combo can do already this cold season. But before I get flack for saying that, I did just spend the majority of this post explaining why I'm skeptical of a Euro type solution :P

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GRR's take on the potential for Thursday

LEANING ON THE ECMWF GUIDANCE TONIGHT AS IT HAS HAD THE MOST
CONTINUITY THE LAST FEW NIGHTS. WPC AGREES IF YOU READ THROUGH THE
EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION PMDEPD.

TWO MAIN ITEMS IN THE LONG TERM REMAIN THE SYSTEM THAT WILL BE
MOVING OUT OF THE AREA MONDAY NIGHT AND THEN THE WARM UP AND RAIN
FOR WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT.

RAIN SHOULD SPREAD INTO THE AREA WEDNESDAY NIGHT ON STRENGTHENING
SOUTHERLY FLOW. CAN SEE SOME MIX WITH SNOW IN THE NORTH EARLY
ON...BUT THE STRENGTH OF THE WAA SHOULD LEAD TO A QUICK CHANGEOVER
TO RAIN. WIDESPREAD RAIN IS EXPECTED ON THURSDAY AS A VERY DEEP LOW
MOVES NORTH THROUGH WISCONSIN. THIS LOW AT ITS PRESENT STATE IN THE
ECMWF GUIDANCE WILL RIVAL DEEP FALL SYSTEMS. EXPECT STRONG WINDS
AREA WIDE AS THE LOW DEEPENS THROUGH THE 970/S MB/S AS IT MOVES
NORTH THROUGH WISCONSIN. 850MB LLJ THURSDAY EVENING WILL BE PUSHING
70 KNOTS...WITH 850MB LI/S DROPPING INTO THE -2 TO -4 C RANGE.
THUNDER IS VERY PLAUSIBLE GIVEN THE STRENGTH OF THE SYSTEM. HIGHS ON
THURSDAY WILL REACH THE 40S ACROSS THE AREA...WITH 50S LOOKING MORE
AND MORE LIKELY IN THE SOUTHERN HALF OF THE FORECAST AREA.

HYDRO CONCERNS REMAIN HIGH FOR THE THURSDAY TIME FRAME...BUT THE
WARM UP WILL BE SHORT LIVED WITH A RETURN MORE TOWARD NORMAL FOR
FRIDAY AS WE DRY OUT IN THE WAKE OF THE SYSTEM. FOG WILL BE LIKELY
THURSDAY GIVEN THE WARM AIR RIDING OVER THE SNOW PACK.

One thing to watch outside of thunderstorms, would be strong winds in the region if the Euro is correct.

Day 5 area outlined.

DAY 4-8 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
0358 AM CST SUN FEB 16 2014

VALID 191200Z - 241200Z

...DISCUSSION...
RECENT MEDIUM-RANGE MODEL RUNS SHOW GOOD CONSISTENCY/SIMILARITY
THROUGH ROUGHLY DAY 6/FRI. 2-21/...WITH A LARGE TROUGH PROGGED TO
EVOLVE OVER THE CENTRAL U.S. WITH TIME -- AND THEN PERSIST THERE
UNTIL LATE IN THE PERIOD.

INITIALLY...SHORT-WAVE TROUGHING IS PROGGED TO DIG ESEWD ACROSS THE
ROCKIES DAY 4...EMERGING INTO THE CENTRAL U.S. FOR THE START OF DAY
5. AS THIS OCCURS...MODELS CONTINUE TO DEPICT A DEVELOPING SURFACE
LOW SHIFTING NEWD FROM THE OK VICINITY EARLY TO THE MI VICINITY BY
LATE AFTERNOON OR EARLY EVENING. A STRONG/TRAILING COLD FRONT
EXTENDING SWWD ACROSS THE OH/MID MS VALLEYS AND INTO TX WILL LIKELY
FOCUS A BAND OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS...AS HIGHER THETA-E AIR
ADVECTING NWD SUPPORTS MODEST SURFACE-BASED CAPE.

ATTM...IT APPEARS THAT THE STRONGEST ASCENT WILL LIKELY BE FOCUSED N
OF THE OH VALLEY...WHILE SUFFICIENT INSTABILITY LIKELY REMAINS
LIMITED TO AREAS FROM THE SRN IL/SRN INDIANA REGION SWD. THUS...THE
ZONE OF GREATEST JUXTAPOSITION -- FROM THE LOWER OH VALLEY SWD
ACROSS THE MID MS/TN VALLEYS -- APPEARS TO BE THE ZONE WHERE SEVERE
RISK WILL BE MAXIMIZED.

GIVEN THE STRENGTH OF THE STORM SYSTEM AS DEPICTED BY THE VARIOUS
MODELS OVER THE PAST SEVERAL RUNS...THE ASSOCIATED STRENGTH OF THE
WIND FIELD...AND DEWPOINTS AT LEAST INTO THE 50S ACROSS THE
AFOREMENTIONED AREA SUPPORTING AT LEAST MARGINAL SURFACE-BASED
CAPE...THE RISK FOR DAMAGING WINDS APPEARS SUFFICIENT WITH THE
EXPECTED CONVECTIVE LINE TO WARRANT INCLUSION OF A RISK AREA THIS
FORECAST -- MAINLY FOR THE AFTERNOON AND EARLY EVENING HOURS.

WITH THIS STORM SYSTEM FORECAST TO MOVE QUICKLY ENEWD INTO SERN
CANADA AND THE LOWER GREAT LAKES REGION OVERNIGHT...CONVECTIVE RISK
DAY 6 WILL BE CONFINED TO THE TRAILING PORTION OF THE FRONT
EXTENDING FROM THE MID-ATLANTIC REGION SWWD TO THE WRN GULF. WITH
WEAK FORCING FOR ASCENT...SEVERE RISK ACROSS THIS REGION SHOULD
REMAIN SOMEWHAT LIMITED. BEYOND DAY 6...INCREASING UNCERTAINTY
LIMITS CONFIDENCE WITH RESPECT TO EVOLUTION OF THE CONVECTIVE
POTENTIAL.

post-4544-0-84271900-1392546977_thumb.gi

12z GFS for today confirms SPC's earlier thinking for target area for possible svr for Thursday if it holds in subsequent runs.  Not looking forward to rain and sudden melt up here in Michiana.  If SLP intensifies in further runs this week or if the Euro goes back to an earlier solution things could get really interesting.

Scary looking shear on the 00z GFS.  If temps/dewpoints can climb higher, look out.

Yea, really not sure what to expect out of this. However, that low level shear is very alarming. If dew points can jump up to the low 60s, I really wouldn't be surprised to see some very significant wind reports along with a couple of QLCS tornadoes in the Ohio/Tennessee Valley. 

I think the key for those of us in Kentucky is how big of a gap is going to be in the warm sector. Some models have the cold front slowing down allowing the air mass to destabilize. Others have not much of a gap and the rain never really stops and stop temperatures from soaring into the 70's. If we get a break and get some sunlight we'll hit 70, and Thursday afternoon could be quite stormy.

00z Euro more impressive as well.  Looks like 986 mb in southern WI at 96 hours.

I am quite surprised how much instability is even this far north, Euro shows around 500 j/kg SB CAPE for Southern Michigan at 96hr. That would certainly be enough instability to maintain a squall line given the wind fields.

Even if this doesn't bomb, there appears to be decent potential for a low topped forced squall line with a damaging wind/possibly spin-up tornado threat in southern IL/IN/KY into SW Ohio. Even the "weaker" GFS gets 55+ dew points to near I-70 and suggests strong enough low level winds to get a severe threat with any kind of forced squall line along the cold front Thursday night. I guess the bomb solution isn't completely off the table with most models trending a bit stronger with the low pressure, with the UK now bombing it to below 980mb by Thursday night. If that happens we may get something higher end and the threat may get north of I-70.

I say areas in E IL, IN, KY, OH, W PA, S MI need to be on the look out Thursday and Thursday Night, for a potential significant severe weather episode. If we get a stronger bombing low, with very good moisture return, there will be some trouble across the Ohio Valley, i wouldn't be shocked to see warm frontal supercells along I-70 from Indiana to Western PA 

I say areas in E IL, IN, KY, OH, W PA, S MI need to be on the look out Thursday and Thursday Night, for a potential significant severe weather episode. If we get a stronger bombing low, with very good moisture return, there will be some trouble across the Ohio Valley, i wouldn't be shocked to see warm frontal supercells along I-70 from Indiana to Western PA 

Lets not get too crazy, just north of the warm front it will be very cold, I don't see the potential of warm frontal super cells with this one.

A tiny bit off topic but Google Maps updated its satellite view recently over Washington IL. Some incredible overlooking views of the damage, and then there is this https://maps.google.com/?ll=40.725568,-89.40455&spn=0.018766,0.027595&t=h&z=15 . You can see where the tornado went into the field northeast of the town and you can see where the individual vortices rotated around the parent circulation, just incredible imagery.

Archived