CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
2014 Short/Med Range Severe Weather Disco

Chicago Storm

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe not. Looks like you're under a Severe Thunderstorm Warning.

The strongest winds actually look to be on the southern edge of those storms, judging from the base radar velocity.

It was literally just 1-2 miles to my north but it was sure nice to see.  You could hear the roar coming in as I had a couple 45-50MPH gusts and I saw 5 streaks of lightning.  I only had drizzle but you could see the rain to the north.  I had great views of the streaks as they were on the very outside edge of the rain!!

Now it is CALM outside.

Hoping for more action as the night goes on!!!

It was literally just 1-2 miles to my north but it was sure nice to see.  You could hear the roar coming in as I had a couple 45-50MPH gusts and I saw 5 streaks of lightning.  I only had drizzle but you could see the rain to the north.  I had great views of the streaks as they were on the very outside edge of the rain!!

Now it is CALM outside.

Hoping for more action as the night goes on!!!

Looks like dmc76 is getting rocked now (or will be shortly).

This makes me so very anxious for severe weather season...

Wow at this report

It was definitely a microburst. Don't have any screen caps but radar at ~1025 am showed enhanced inbound velocity on the leading edge of the bowing out feature as the 2 supercells were more or less merging. Then the next 1-2 scans there was a clear microburst signature with diverging inbounds and outbounds.

I was getting more concerned about low level rotation when the storm became one larger supercell over Cook and Lake counties. Before the cell moved out over the lake, it was starting to get a hook like appendage and at that point ORD had warmed to the 70s with low 50s dewpoints. Low level shear was about 30kt and 0-1 SRH was about 200 according to the SPC mesoanalysis. Had there been better low level moisture in place, we certainly could've had tornadoes out of these storms.

Another interesting thing today is how far off MUCAPE was on the SPC/RAP mesoanalysis when the storms fired. It was showing at most 250 j/kg when a modified aircraft sounding out of RFD had about 2000 j/kg. No wonder we had supercells with that and excellent directional shear.

From what he's saying, it was to the point where now he has to go outside and shovel the hail.

Looking at the DTX report there are lots of reports of hails 1/2"-1".  There is a report of it covering the ground ~2 miles north of me.  Gust 50-60 MPH.

I will admit I am glad I got to watch the lightning and stay away from the damage!!!  Don't need it...

Yikes that's some nasty damage on the house there!!  Power pole has a nice angle there :yikes:

The house (my sister's friend's) is going to need all new siding.  She and my brother-in-law were trying to drive back home to Oxford, but with power poles snapped at the bases, tires from a tire store all over the road, and other damage, police had M24 shut down.

I ended up catching the storm at 26 mile and Romeo Plank, ended up with nickel hail and winds of at least 65 mph. By the time I ended up on I-94 there was still hail covering the freeway. Also ended up coming across a huge tree that knocked down some power poles when it fell at 26 and Card. I will post up the video I shot later on tonight, pretty good hail storm though.

I didn't realize how strong the winds got in SE Michigan. I just drove past 5 or 6 broken 6" power poles plus some trees in the vicinity of Romeo Plank between 27 and 28 mile roads in Macomb County.

On 26mi, West of North Ave, there appears to be a >24in diameter tree broken in two. I wasn't expecting to see that at all. I didn't a good enough look to see if it was rotted.

Unfortunately, It was too dark for pictures. Everything is pitch black around here.

I didn't realize how strong the winds got in SE Michigan. I just drove past 5 or 6 broken 6" power poles plus some trees in the vicinity of Romeo Plank between 27 and 28 mile roads in Macomb County.

On 26mi, West of North Ave, there appears to be a >24in diameter tree broken in two. I wasn't expecting to see that at all. I didn't a good enough look to see if it was rotted.

Unfortunately, It was too dark for pictures. Everything is pitch black around here.

It wasn't and it snapped power poles there too when it fell on them.

Here is a link to the video I took at 26 and Romeo Plank.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ucuz8qq3eyq6dx2/2014-04-12%2020.14.38.mp4

IA may soon light up from sw to ne now that a svr warning has been issued for the sw part of the state.  There's a nice left splitting supercell on the storm nw of Waterloo.

Think I may have got a decent time lapse of that cell splitting.  Gonna work on the vid and see if it turns out.  Was out around the Waterloo/Cedar Falls area earlier.

Outflow really outpacing the line from Dubuque down to near Iowa City now.  Severe risk looks to be quickly declining over the next hour or two.  Best chance for some severe will likely be along and south of I-80 where the storms haven't undercut themselves yet.  Could be some big gusts around and just south of Iowa City in the next hour.

Yeah man that is about as good as it was where I was in Macomb Township, you look like you might have had bigger hail though.

It was the coolest 5 mins of my life following storms. I had a smile from ear to ear during this. Just pure awesomeness ! 

Archived