Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February Banter II

jburns

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Y'all want to hear something crazy? The day of the Boston Marathon bombing I posted on another message board about that week in April being notorious for big news events often involving violence and how that time in April freeked me out. About an hour later the bombing happened.

Nostradamus Tamland is more like it.

Someone take away his keyboard.

Y'all want to hear something crazy? The day of the Boston Marathon bombing I posted on another message board about that week in April being notorious for big news events often involving violence and how that time in April freeked me out. About an hour later the bombing happened.

But did you predict the earthquake?  So you were friends with the marathon bombers and they let in you in the plot, big deal

I found the post. Lol! He had the wrong date. April 3rd not 4th.

Out of all those freaking storms around lol, we didn't manage to get a drop of rain here. That wind was intense though and that lightning was some of the most epic lightning I have seen in a while. The lightning and thunder still going even to our west where there are no storms.

I got that site bookmarked trust me I use it all the time, Feb 24th 1989 was a monster, I was 17 and there was no interent etc so all I can really go on is MBY but we got hammered I know my dad said he measured a little over a foot here but apparently this was a wide reaching event.

I can back up what you're saying--I lived in Ahoskie for a couple years as a young kid and this included the winter of 88-89. I distinctly remember it snowing either a foot or almost a foot, not once, but twice within about a month. Years later, I've tried to track down details of the storms and their impacts. Memory plays tricks on us sometimes, and I wanted to see what I remembered as an 8 year old had any sort of accuracy at all. Curiously enough, I've found very little on the internet that mentions it, although there is tons of mention about the December 89 storm(of which I had moved away by that point and completely missed---grrr).

I love RAH's database of past events. But there is no mention of these two events on that page. My theory is that both of these storms were mostly E/NE NC and SW VA specials, and didn't have a wide enough impact across the state. 

BTW, the first snowstorm hit with little or no snow forecasted if I recall correctly.

I can back up what you're saying--I lived in Ahoskie for a couple years as a young kid and this included the winter of 88-89. I distinctly remember it snowing either a foot or almost a foot, not once, but twice within about a month. Years later, I've tried to track down details of the storms and their impacts. Memory plays tricks on us sometimes, and I wanted to see what I remembered as an 8 year old had any sort of accuracy at all. Curiously enough, I've found very little on the internet that mentions it, although there is tons of mention about the December 89 storm(of which I had moved away by that point and completely missed---grrr).

I love RAH's database of past events. But there is no mention of these two events on that page. My theory is that both of these storms were mostly E/NE NC and SW VA specials, and didn't have a wide enough impact across the state. 

BTW, the first snowstorm hit with little or no snow forecasted if I recall correctly.

Yeah it was a wild week

Yeah it was a crazy week I think on Monday we had severe storms with even tornado warnings in eastern NC then maybe a ice storm wed or thur and then a full on snowstorm Friday into Saturday......like I said I cant recall exactly but that seems like how it went down that week. I know the big snow was a Friday or Saturday though.

Was able to find this severe storm report from 2-21-89 that shows my memory is actually pretty good missed it by a day.....now if I can just find details about the storm it has been a nemesis of mine for years and I was thinking of it when I saw the Euro clown map earlier

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/cgi-bin-spc/getsevereplot.pl?Month=02&Day=21&Year=1989

post-141-0-44248400-1392778642_thumb.gif

Until we start seeing some more model concenus the outlook looks pretty bleak. Not many ensembles show support. Oh summarizing dingbat jump the gun too quick.

yeah. Honestly I'd rather him make a thread about the severe event, at least people would be more inclined to talk about something that is actually going to happen.

The storm threat thread is a disaster just like its creator. Seems like everything else is being discussed except the storm threat which looks like a no good. :axe:

Until we start seeing some more model concenus the outlook looks pretty bleak. Not many ensembles show support. Oh summarizing dingbat jump the gun too quick.

Hey, look. You can call people names on a message board. Awesome.

It's one thread. About the weather. Is it really that serious?

internet-serious-business.jpg

I got that site bookmarked trust me I use it all the time, Feb 24th 1989 was a monster, I was 17 and there was no interent etc so all I can really go on is MBY but we got hammered I know my dad said he measured a little over a foot here but apparently this was a wide reaching event.

If I remember correctly; the February '89 snowstorm was similar to the December '89 storm, but further inland. 

My backyard picked up snow with the former, but not a flake with the latter.

I thought a week away was fair game. Maybe we need specific rules on when to start storm threads. It doesn't seem very clear.

I don't think it's all that hard, really. Starting a thread because "I heard it might snow on 2/25" is probably not going to make the mods happy.

Posting some reasoning and some maps and some data will give the thread a better chance to stick.

So would it be bad to start a thread on the severe threat tomorrow and Friday? It is close and looks like a legit threat.

Yes, it would be bad. Very bad. So bad that Lookout just might come in and go all hulk on your hind quarters. And you wont like it.

I would prefer someone more qualified than myself (learner), a visitor (lurker), Wilkes (master troller) or you (uncontestable weenie of the millenium) start the thread for any event. Back away from the keyboard please!

There's a reason I didn't jump all in on a thread... there was very little consistency model to model, and besides one good euro run yesterday (Canadian somewhat) there was no real reason to jump "all in". The pattern is favorable for a storm, but I think the only real threat is T-Storms on Thursday night into Friday morning and one could argue the cold in the LR.

I don't really see the harm, but I guess I just won't start any threads. Even though I did start the one about the severe outbreak last January in NC and that turned out to be a pretty big deal.

Well, no physical harm will come from it, that's true. Of course no physical harm will come from me ripping a big fart in a meeting at work either. But sometimes it's more appropriate to hold it in. Give it a try.

Archived