joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12z Models 2/11/2014 | Potential Major Coastal Storm

earthlight

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 700mb low passes just south of Islip. 

This is one of the best CCB/banding signals I have seen in a few years. 

In a year when we've seen 3 8-12" storms in the NYC Metro, it is looking probable that we get a fourth ... and this one may be the biggest yet.

As mentioned previously, classic track/evolution for deformation snows... those are the kind that just dump and dump...

In a year when we've seen 3 8-12" storms in the NYC Metro, it is looking probable that we get a fourth ... and this one may be the biggest yet.

As mentioned previously, classic track/evolution for deformation snows... those are the kind that just dump and dump...

Tracking wise, this has been top 2 or 3 ever winter IMO.  There has been some kind of storm to track nearly every week since Early December.

even the coldest run I still mix in SW Suffolk :axe:

The track is close to the coast for eastern Long Island. Even though you're above freezing at the surface you never get above 0 at the 850mb level so my guess is you would likely stay a very heavy wet snow unless their ends up being another warm layer somewhere that shows up on the soundings.

The track is close to the coast for eastern Long Island. Even though you're above freezing at the surface you never get above 0 at the 850mb level so my guess is you would likely stay a very heavy wet snow unless their ends up being another warm layer somewhere that shows up on the soundings.

okay great. im just not good at analyzing those maps so excuse my inexperience please

even the coldest run I still mix in SW Suffolk :axe:

Surface temps modestly above freezing doesn't necessarilly imply mixing. The rest of the column is cold. I think SW suffolk is all snow on the 12z Nam but surface could get up to 33 or so.  With that deform band overhead we would most definitely see some significant dynamic cooling. Additionally we have a solid 4 -8" of snowpack which should help to slightly suppress surface temps.

Surface temps modestly above freezing doesn't necessarilly imply mixing. The rest of the column is cold. I think SW suffolk is all snow on the 12z Nam but surface could get up to 33 or so.  With that CCB overhead we would most definitely see some significant dynamic cooling. Additionally we have a solid 4 -8" of snowpack which should help to slightly suppress surface temps.

As long as winds stay NNE/NE, I doubt anyone warms enough above freezing at the surface for rain just based on the boundary layer (mid levels may be a different story).

When the surface is the only thing above freezing things become complicated. It comes down to how cold the mid-levels can stay. It's a fairly fine line between just a heavy wet snow and more of a rain/snow mix. The heavier dynamics however should work their magic. I wouldn't be too worried unless I lived on the immediate south facing shores. (Per the 12z NAM).

If the Euro verifies then all bets are off.

When the surface is the only thing above freezing things become complicated. It comes down to how cold the mid-levels can stay. It's a fairly fine line between just a heavy wet snow and more of a rain/snow mix. The heavier dynamics however should work its magic. I wouldn't be too worried unless I lived on the immediate south facing shores. (Per the 12z NAM).

If the Euro verifies then all bets are off.

by all bets are off you mean heavier accumulations and better dynamic cooling down to the coastal areas yank?

Archived