joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12z Models 2/11/2014 | Potential Major Coastal Storm

earthlight

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surface winds look to top out in the 30-35MPH range a long the immediate coast and 20-30MPH inland. Not really blizzard warning criteria or anything close to it. We don't have the strong high to the north pressing down on the isobars and tightening the gradient. Also the deepest the storm is probably going to get is the low 980's after it's east of Cape Cod.

if it's wet snow the wind would make things worse...I still have some snow left on tree limbs around my area...

A lot of the snow around the city looks to fall with temps around 30-33, so it would be a heavy wet snow again. Not good for flat roofs and trees/power lines with stronger winds than the storm last Monday which had calmer winds. 18" possibly of waterlogged snow/ice on some of these roofs over the course of the last few storms may become a big problem.

You have precip for that map?

I just wanted to focus on potential track and stronger H500 presentation than NAM  since precip 

details are still outside the better range of the hi-res models. The important thing to watch for today

is any easterly shift at all from the Euro and ensembles.

Hundredths of an inch I believe

I didn't realize, until I saw the precip panel, that NW locations, like Warren/Sussex, the Lehigh Valley and much of the Hudson Valley north of Rockland/Westchester, would "only" get 0.50-0.75" of precip if the NAM verified and even less N/W of there.  Not a sharp cutoff, but less than I'm sure they'd like to see - of course not having mixing risks is always nice.  I'm sure those folks are pulling for the Euro...

I didn't realize, until I saw the precip panel, that NW locations, like Warren/Sussex, the Lehigh Valley and much of the Hudson Valley north of Rockland/Westchester, would "only" get 0.50-0.75" of precip if the NAM verified and even less N/W of there.  Not a sharp cutoff, but less than I'm sure they'd like to see - of course not having mixing risks is always nice.  I'm sure those folks are pulling for the Euro...

We're pulling for everyone to get in on the fun, no fringe jobs either way!  That's how we roll!

Archived