joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12z Models 2/11/2014 | Potential Major Coastal Storm

earthlight

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

don't take the GFS verbatim read my previous post. with a track like that and a closed LP no one should be mixing except for maybe twin forks of LI. this is 20 hr heavy wet snow bomb for the ENTIRE tri-state area

Believe me we r on same page , Im just trying to verbalize what the warm biased GFS is saying . Ie : even as a worst case scenario we still hit double digits. A good position IMO.

Believe me we r on same page , Im just trying to verbalize what the warm biased GFS is saying . Ie : even as a worst case scenario we still hit double digits. A good position IMO.

yes this is CLASSIC track for NYC/LI to get some of the heaviest snowfall with minimal mixing taking into account the GFS bias. I expect the EURO to make another small jog south and east as well at 1

Seems to be an awesome track, although snow maps for our area are showing 3-6". Based on the track, strength of the low and orientation of the banding, the precip types don't seen to be accurately portrayed here, correct?

Sent from my iPhone

Correct. The GFS can't detect Dynamic Cooling and the WAA at the mid levels, so It's assuming that the storm will spit out low moisture. Which explains why the GFS is the warmest model out of the bunch.  

don't take the GFS verbatim read my previous post. with a track like that and a closed LP no one should be mixing except for maybe twin forks of LI. this is 20 hr heavy wet snow bomb for the ENTIRE tri-state area

If you hang a SLP at AC , you will rain for a while   look at precip rates at hour 54 - you warm , you go back at 60 - but Long Island is not all snow as per GFS 

The GFS shows a more expansive area of general precipitation rather than a narrow intense band like the NAM shows. I would favor the NAM in this setup, but it's become pretty clear that it's going to come down to nowcasting for the immediate coast.

Ya that's most likely because of the GFS inferior resolution, as well as its troubles handling this system.

John , agree 100 perc , the GFS keeps trying to pull a dual MAX , almost jumps KNYC refires at the BM ,  that why u see that buckele east in its QPF -  if you lighten the precip you rain east of the river for 6 hours 

Hopefully its just missing the lift at 54 , the track is great , but need the forcing 

The GFS shows a more expansive area of general precipitation rather than a narrow intense band like the NAM shows. I would favor the NAM in this setup, but it's become pretty clear that it's going to come down to nowcasting for the immediate coast.

Why would u favor the nam? Cause it shows what u want?... It hasn't had a consistent run yet, the nam has flip flopped from east west for 7 straight runs... I find it funny no one is in favor of the euro that's clearly had this storm for days without wavering lol

Why would u favor the nam? Cause it shows what u want?... It hasn't had a consistent run yet, the nam has flip flopped from east west for 7 straight runs... I find it funny no one is in favor of the euro that's clearly had this storm for days without wavering lol

the NAM hasn't really wavered much I think. the EURO has been solid but starting last night it is correcting south and east looks like, it was the western most outlier. the NAM and EURO also seem to understand dynamic cooling and better lift with a closed off low better than the GFS

Archived