Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! NBC10 reporting shattered windows in Roxborough from the thunder.

"Wow" is right!  I've seen thunder freezing rain and thunder sleet before (in Oklahoma, not in New Jersey), but I have never heard of thunder shattering windows before.  I am dying to hear the scientific explanation of how and why that would happen with this particular storm. 

EDIT:  There is now a pretty good explanation of the hows and whys on the NBC10 website. 

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Lightning-Strike-Boom-246161291.html

Wow! NBC10 reporting shattered windows in Roxborough from the thunder.

This doesn't surprise me. Around my way it sounded as if someone was playing a bass w/a 10 story amplifier hitting the lowest note which lasted in 10-15 sec intervals. Rumbling...

"Wow" is right!  I've seen thunder freezing rain and thunder sleet before (in Oklahoma, not in New Jersey), but I have never heard of thunder shattering windows before.  I am dying to hear the scientific explanation of how and why that would happen with this particular storm. 

EDIT:  There is now a pretty good explanation of the hows and whys on the NBC10 website. 

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Lightning-Strike-Boom-246161291.html

Link to story and pictures:  http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Lightning-Strike-Boom-246161291.html

big storm possible sometime in first 8 days of march for east. maybe blizzard for some.i see march 3-5 but anywhere in first 8 days.not that we cant get any storms before but this one i see better. a problem i see is around 13th-14th. i dont know if i see another storm or i am wrong on the first storm and it comes 13-14 of march. its the best i can see right now.

thank you

How did I miss this?  Awesome...

Today's turned out quite diff. than thought,to say the least...Up here about 1" of very wet snow/slush...temp topped,so far at 32,back to 31 now(forecast low 40's )...First I heard of the katodog call(s)earlier,now a new 1/2...Don.S.who has been very impressive seems to also see chances...To my eyes this overall pattern seems to be sorta repeating;cold, snow,cutter,wash,rinse,Repeat...   

Active SW wind mixing the air so the deep snow isn't able to chill it down. 43.2 here in NW Chesco with the ground frozen solid.

Snowpack has dropped to 22.5"

This is the reason for rising temps. No warm front has passed. Mixing of the warmer air aloft. Temps should drop overnight as long as winds relax.

Archived