• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

It's your opinion, and I totally respect that. I just strongly disagree with your "car topper only" statement. 5-8 inches on the other hand for March is average to above at all three of those airports so I would gladly take that.

Additionally, 5-8 inches over two events isnt the same as it would be in jan/feb due to climatology, for an example wet snow,freezing rain change over ect. I look at it this way. I feel it is similar to being down 5-0(pick your sport) and you score three more times making it 5-3. The 3 goals/points aren't the same. It becomes meaningless stat padding...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Additionally, 5-8 inches over two events isnt the same as it would be in jan/feb due to climatology, for an example wet snow,freezing rain change over ect. I look at it this way. I feel it is similar to being down 5-0(pick your sport) and you score three more times making it 5-3. The 3 goals/points aren't the same. It becomes meaningless stat padding...

I know you are more into big storms, and I understand that. Here is my 2 cents:

Even if it's "only" 5 to 8" as you suggested, I'd rather have that than not. First of all, it's going to be March. I don't go for the early (2012-ish) warm up any year because it's not good for plant life. Let that happen in April. March is a transition month. So let it snow if it can.

We've still got a fair amount of snow cover around that isn't going anywhere over the next 2 weeks anyway, so it's not like you could start your garden.

As for padding stats, this is a great time to pad stats. One measure of a good winter is total snowfall, and we can build on that. Another is days with snow on the ground, and we can build on that. We've got a good base left in a lot of areas.

It's been an absolutely awesome winter, and if this was the end of it I'd be quite content. But the pattern seems to support, at some point, additional snowfall. I made a post in the medium-long range thread this morning pointing out a couple of reasons why I am optimistic. I still feel that way.

To use another analogy, it's like you went to see your favorite band in concert, they put on an awesome show, now they're likely coming back out for an encore, are you going to head for the parking lot?

There are no guarantees, obviously, but I would bet that Ralph will get to use his new snow shovel before we are done. And when it's time to let go of winter, I will do that. I just don't believe we are "done" yet.

I know you are more into big storms, and I understand that. Here is my 2 cents:

Even if it's "only" 5 to 8" as you suggested, I'd rather have that than not. First of all, it's going to be March. I don't go for the early (2012-ish) warm up any year because it's not good for plant life. Let that happen in April. March is a transition month. So let it snow if it can.

We've still got a fair amount of snow cover around that isn't going anywhere over the next 2 weeks anyway, so it's not like you could start your garden.

As for padding stats, this is a great time to pad stats. One measure of a good winter is total snowfall, and we can build on that. Another is days with snow on the ground, and we can build on that. We've got a good base left in a lot of areas.

It's been an absolutely awesome winter, and if this was the end of it I'd be quite content. But the pattern seems to support, at some point, additional snowfall. I made a post in the medium-long range thread this morning pointing out a couple of reasons why I am optimistic. I still feel that way.

To use another analogy, it's like you went to see your favorite band in concert, they put on an awesome show, now they're likely coming back out for an encore, are you going to head for the parking lot?

There are no guarantees, obviously, but I would bet that Ralph will get to use his new snow shovel before we are done. And when it's time to let go of winter, I will do that. I just don't believe we are "done" yet.

Nice post. I'm seeing different perspectives within our forum which is cool. A single 5-8" snowfall would be nice but a couple maybe three would be disappointing when the up coming pattern looked so promising. I may have not expressed this in my "done" post. I'm Okay with letting go this winter, it's been good. The surprise deathband was awesome, the January 2nd west tender was great. But for me the 2002/03 winter was better for me...

I know you are more into big storms, and I understand that. Here is my 2 cents:

Even if it's "only" 5 to 8" as you suggested, I'd rather have that than not. First of all, it's going to be March. I don't go for the early (2012-ish) warm up any year because it's not good for plant life. Let that happen in April. March is a transition month. So let it snow if it can.

As for padding stats, this is a great time to pad stats. One measure of a good winter is total snowfall, and we can build on that. Another is days with snow on the ground, and we can build on that. We've got a good base left in a lot of areas.

To use another analogy, it's like you went to see your favorite band in concert, they put on an awesome show, now they're likely coming back out for an encore, are you going to head for the parking lot?

Agree with everything you said, great post. Snow is snow is snow lol.

Kamu, I have learned to appreciate moderate snows slot more as long as they involve CCB's lol. The January 16, 2011 event was great. Excellent snow rates!

I personally appreciate the "pack" after storms just as much as the storm it's self, so I'm fine with four storms spread out over two weeks that leads to eight inches just as much as one storm that drops eight by itself.

Nice post. I'm seeing different perspectives within our forum which is cool. A single 5-8" snowfall would be nice but a couple maybe three would be disappointing when the up coming pattern looked so promising. I may have not expressed this in my "done" post. I'm Okay with letting go this winter, it's been good. The surprise deathband was awesome, the January 2nd west tender was great. But for me the 2002/03 winter was better for me...

Thanks! For now I'm going with the idea that there is potential for a couple of events between now and mid March, maybe not all straight snow, but I do believe I'll be adding to the snow pile. I'll be disappointed if it doesn't work out that way, but the pattern overall is more favorable for snow during the first 2 weeks of March than it usually is. This winter has so made up for the last two, and if it's not done yet, I'm going to enjoy it.

You misread. 9F, not 19F

thanks Ray....typo on weather.com. http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/daily/USPA1276 '> http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/daily/USPA1276

In any event the record of 8 on thurs and then 9 on friday will be close imo. With some snowpack we would easily have had a great shot at breaking these.

thanks Ray....typo on weather.com. http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/daily/USPA1276 '> http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/daily/USPA1276

In any event the record of 8 on thurs and then 9 on friday will be close imo. With some snowpack we would easily have had a great shot at breaking these.

Ah, thought you got that from the AFD.  PHL is 6 on Thursday. From the AFD:

FEBRUARY 27TH          FEBRUARY 28THATLANTIC CITY...7 DEGREES IN 1934......2 DEGREES IN 1934 PHILADELPHIA....6 DEGREES IN 1990......9 DEGREES IN 1934 WILMINGTON......5 DEGREES IN 1934.....-5 DEGREES IN 1934 ALLENTOWN......-2 DEGREES IN 1963....-10 DEGREES IN 1934TRENTON.........6 DEGREES IN 1934......1 DEGREE  IN 1934 GEORGETOWN.....10 DEGREES IN 1963......8 DEGREES IN 1950 READING.........4 DEGREES IN 1934......3 DEGREES IN 1934 MOUNT POCONO...-9 DEGREES IN 1993....-15 DEGREES IN 1907

Ah, thought you got that from the AFD. PHL is 6 on Thursday. From the AFD:

FEBRUARY 27TH          FEBRUARY 28THATLANTIC CITY...7 DEGREES IN 1934......2 DEGREES IN 1934 PHILADELPHIA....6 DEGREES IN 1990......9 DEGREES IN 1934 WILMINGTON......5 DEGREES IN 1934.....-5 DEGREES IN 1934 ALLENTOWN......-2 DEGREES IN 1963....-10 DEGREES IN 1934TRENTON.........6 DEGREES IN 1934......1 DEGREE  IN 1934 GEORGETOWN.....10 DEGREES IN 1963......8 DEGREES IN 1950 READING.........4 DEGREES IN 1934......3 DEGREES IN 1934 MOUNT POCONO...-9 DEGREES IN 1993....-15 DEGREES IN 1907
I think I trust the nws more than the other site. In which case thursday I doubt we break but friday has a shot.

I was wondering if somebody can help me out, I'm looking for the windspeed and wind direction for Monday, February 24 between hours of 1130 and 1230 that day I'm assisting the fire Marshall's office with the Investigation of a dwelling fire, thank you

Ex fire chief Chris Russell

William Penn Fire Co

Archived