Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I did a search and found "bluehens" doesn't appear to be banned.  I understand his post were negative, but he wasn't that far off when he would comment about an upcoming event.  Am I a fan..no, however his accuracy wasn't that far off from what he was predicting and would be a nice "counter point" to temper over excitement.  Is he suspended for a while? 

So I did a search and found "bluehens" doesn't appear to be banned.  I understand his post were negative, but he wasn't that far off when he would comment about an upcoming event.  Am I a fan..no, however his accuracy wasn't that far off from what he was predicting and would be a nice "counter point" to temper over excitement.  Is he suspended for a while? 

It seemed like he was just bittercasting rather than tempering expectations and predicting what would happen. Big difference.

Doesn't look like he's suspended, though.

AM low here in NW Chesco was 10.5 - ten of the first 16 days this month have remained below freezing for highs - in a normal Feb there are normally only 6 such days.....just an A+ winter by any standards this year

Anyone else think that this winter won't exit quietly? saw a tweet from someone about canadian 8-12 day showing poss. record cold?

They do look awesome, but....

How are those snow piles? Could they last til May? I'm running out of room to put snow and don't have the strength to throw another shovelful on top of the pile!

Snowpile's doing great thank you, how about you, lol? I didn't even add any to the main pile last week, the storm capped it nicely, gave it a nice look. It's about 7 feet high now, hard to throw snow up there, so I added to it length wise. Biggest (handmade) pile I've ever had honestly. I am a bit of a maniac though.

I doubt that they will last till May, unless we tarp them or something when it rains, lol.

Snowpile's doing great thank you, how about you, lol? I didn't even add any to the main pile last week, the storm capped it nicely, gave it a nice look. It's about 7 feet high now, hard to throw snow up there, so I added to it length wise. Biggest (handmade) pile I've ever had honestly. I am a bit of a maniac though.

I doubt that they will last till May, unless we tarp them or something when it rains, lol.

My tallest is not quite that high, but it's going to take a hit from the the ever increasing sun angle and inevitable warming temps. Now tarping, there's an idea...

My tallest is not quite that high, but it's going to take a hit from the the ever increasing sun angle and inevitable warming temps. Now tarping, there's an idea...

lol...I try to keep driveway debris, etc., out of it (with mixed degrees of success) so it reflects the sunlight better. I'm thinking I might need to do a little reseeding underneath where the pile is on the lawn, later on.

I don't know how it is down closer to Philly area, but there is some serious roof ice damming up this way. Solid ice on gutters, I think mine may rip away when it starts to thaw. Some awesome icicles, though!

Yup, I am seeing the roof ice damming and large icicles hanging from gutters all over the place.

My roof icicles are big also,since I had already snapped some off that were easy to reach and stuck them upside down in the snowpile...They're back...Hit 5f about 8 this morn...I'm with the thought this winter is still 'On'...Just seem to have a twinkling of a feeling starting maybe a another 'Big' one or two on the plate... 

And what Hurricane said is exactly why I feel that this is the top winter Philly has ever had even though 2010 had more snow, well so far that is, we still have a shot at the top spot this winter IMO. The snow train this year for our area has been just awesome and I haven't seen the grass in my yard, aside from a couple days during January and even that was patchy, since December. The cold air has definitely been more impressive this year than 2010 and the frequency of events has been epic and the pattern looks to stay on repeat after we warm up for a few days this week. You know you've had a lot of snow when people on this site start groaning about the snow instead of cheering for it. My shoulders and back say we've had enough but my true weenie self says bring as much as we can get and then bring some more lol

And what Hurricane said is exactly why I feel that this is the top winter Philly has ever had even though 2010 had more snow, well so far that is, we still have a shot at the top spot this winter IMO. The snow train this year for our area has been just awesome and I haven't seen the grass in my yard, aside from a couple days during January and even that was patchy, since December. The cold air has definitely been more impressive this year than 2010 and the frequency of events has been epic and the pattern looks to stay on repeat after we warm up for a few days this week. You know you've had a lot of snow when people on this site start groaning about the snow instead of cheering for it. My shoulders and back say we've had enough but my true weenie self says bring as much as we can get and then bring some more lol

We'll get a little break after tomorrow and everyone will be rested up and ready for more, lol.

PROBABILISTIC HEAVY SNOW AND ICING DISCUSSION
NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD
326 AM EST TUE FEB 18 2014

VALID 12Z TUE FEB 18 2014 - 12Z FRI FEB 21 2014

DAYS 1 AND 2...

...NORTHEAST...

TWO SHORT WAVES WILL FOLLOW IN RAPID PROCESSION ON DAYS 1 AND 2.
ONE SYSTEM IN PROGRESS IS THE SMALL AMPLITUDE NEGATIVELY TILTED
TROUGH RESPONSIBLE FOR 4 TO 6 INCHES OF SNOW ACROSS THE MIDWEST.
AS ONE LOW PRESSURE AREA BEGINS TO FADE OVER THE MIDWEST...A
SECOND SMALL AREA OF LOW PRESSURE WILL DEVELOP ALONG THE MIDDLE
ATLANTIC COAST AND THEN MOVE NORTHEASTWARD JUST OFF THE COAST.
WHILE THE RELATIVELY FAST MOVEMENT OF THIS SYSTEM WILL LIKELY
PRECLUDE A PROLONGED PERIOD OF HEAVY SNOWFALL...THIS SYSTEM HAS
HAD A HISTORY OF PRODUCING BRIEF BUT HEAVY SNOW.  AS THE SYSTEM
BEGINS TO DEVELOP ALONG THE NORTHEAST COAST...IT WILL TAP INTO
ATLANTIC MOISTURE AND AN EXPANDING AREA OF SNOW WILL AFFECT THE
NEW YORK METROPOLITAN AREA NORTHEASTWARD ACROSS NEW ENGLAND.
WHILE EASTERN LONG ISLAND AND EXTREME SOUTHEASTERN NEW ENGLAND IS
EXPECTED TO CHANGE FROM SNOW TO RAIN...AN AREA OF SNOW EXCEEDING 4
INCHES IS EXPECTED ACROSS PARTS OF EASTERN NEW YORK INTO SOUTHERN
AND CENTRAL NEW ENGLAND WITH MEDIUM TO HIGH PROBABILITIES. WITHIN
THIS AREA...SOME OF THE HEAVIER SNOW IS EXPECTED FROM
MASSACHUSETTS NORTHEASTWARD INTO MAINE WITH A LOW TO MEDIUM
PROBABILITY OF 8 OR MORE INCHES. A MULTI MODEL BLEND WAS USED TO
GENERATE THE SNOWFALL AMOUNTS.

A SECOND SHORTWAVE TROUGH OVER THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST COAST TONIGHT
WILL MOVE EASTWARD ACROSS THE NORTHERN TIER OF THE US AND WILL BE
OVER THE GREAT LAKES BY DAY 2/WEDNESDAY MORNING.  WHILE THIS
SYSTEM WILL BE A RATHER DRY SURFACE TROUGH/FRONT AS IT CROSSES THE
UPPER MISSISSIPPI VALLEY AND THE MIDWEST THROUGH WEDNESDAY
MORNING...AN AREA OF INCREASING MOISTURE OVER THE SOUTHEAST ALONG
A STATIONARY FRONT WILL BEGIN TO MOVE NORTHWARD AS SOUTHWESTERLY
FLOW TAPS INTO THE GULF OF MEXICO. THESE TWO FEATURES WILL LINK
TOGETHER ON WEDNESDAY AS AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE DEVELOPS AGAIN
NEAR THE MIDDLE ATLANTIC COAST...JUST 30 HOURS AFTER THE PREVIOUS
LOW DEVELOPED.  WHILE THIS SYSTEM WILL START OUT MILDER THAN THE
PREVIOUS SYSTEM...THE SURFACE LOW WILL LIKELY DEVELOP MORE RAPIDLY
AS IT MOVES NORTHEASTWARD ALONG THE NEW ENGLAND COAST THROUGH
WEDNESDAY NIGHT.  THE BEST CHANCE OF SNOW EXTENDS FROM
NORTHEASTERN PENNSYLVANIA ACROSS INTERIOR NEW ENGLAND BUT MUCH OF
SOUTHERN MAINE AND CENTRAL NEW HAMPSHIRE WILL HAVE A LOW TO
MODERATE RISK OF SNOW EXCEEDING 4 INCHES. THE 00Z ECMWF WAS THE
BASIS FOR THE SNOWFALL FORECAST.

Thought these were a good read,Esp.since written by PK... 

Archived