Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got home I've been at work since tuesday at 730 am with the snow. We are just about "snow-locked" and are literally running out of places to pile it with the loader when we clean out the lots and perimeter roads. Yeah it's been a long week but the paycheck should be sweet (I'm paid all hours on site at O/T rate during snow emergencies, probably got 3-4hrs of sleep per day)

Its based on trough orientation in relation to lines of longitude, so I decided to find one with a Mercator layout, that was the first that popped up in Google :lol:

Geez, I could have done that.  I googled Longitude / Latitude continental us which didn't help.  While on the topic, which is best case scenario for our location for storm development? 

Geez, I could have done that.  I googled Longitude / Latitude continental us which didn't help.  While on the topic, which is best case scenario for our location for storm development? 

Depends on what you want the storm to do, but negative tilt favors strongest development.  Of course, that's not always good for snow depending on where it happens.

Depends on what you want the storm to do, but negative tilt favors strongest development.  Of course, that's not always good for snow depending on where it happens.

Okay, thanks.  I'll see if I can figure it out from there.  It is interesting when you read both the MA forum and the NYC forum regarding storm track and specifics.

black ice a big problem out there tonight, worst I've seen in quite awhile

I actually called in to upper Dublin to let them know about a 300' section of black ice where my car slid sideways the entire way with the pregnant wife in the car. I've never had the thought of calling in the past simply because one should know to drive cautiously, but that was an accident waiting to happen. They took care of the problem at least, as on the way home mountains of salt and lines of brine were noted.

I actually called in to upper Dublin to let them know about a 300' section of black ice where my car slid sideways the entire way with the pregnant wife in the car. I've never had the thought of calling in the past simply because one should know to drive cautiously, but that was an accident waiting to happen. They took care of the problem at least, as on the way home mountains of salt and lines of brine were noted.

Ihere is a lot of black ice out there tonight

Nice looking "full snow" moon earlier, living up to it's name this year. Clouds streaking in fast

I was out admiring it earlier too, thinking that the odds of it are slim. Say 4 full moons during winter months, then there needs to be snow on the ground, and the sky needs to be (pretty) clear. There have been a few already this winter that were about full, not sure about actual visible full moons with snow on the ground.

I was out admiring it earlier too, thinking that the odds of it are slim. Say 4 full moons during winter months, then there needs to be snow on the ground, and the sky needs to be (pretty) clear. There have been a few already this winter that were about full, not sure about actual visible full moons with snow on the ground.

Everything is working out this winter strangely enough little can go wrong. Colder than 2010, more storms than 2003. Reliving all the good times of 1996 and 1978 basically

Anyone see the new prototype snowfall maps the nws is making available. I went to NWS Boston to see there projected snowfall maps and the map comes up with options. Precip amount, snow amounts.... pretty cool. You can actually move the map the same way you can move "Google" maps and bring up sepa.

I checked it out, pretty cool even if it's not showing much for the SE corner of PA. Looking at the radar I was feeling optimistic for a moment but now it seems to be sliding off to the NE. Reports of light snow around York, etc. Starting to look good over the next few hours for north and west of here. We shall see how things evolve.

I'm currently skiing at Bear Creek and the conditions are unbelievable. I mean how often do we get 20 inches two days prior and then 3 while at the mountain. The drive up you would think we were at Killington VT. What a season.

I get to drive those roads everyday :)  I'm not a skier though.  If you took "State Street" from Hereford (about the last 5 miles of the trip if you went that way) up there did you notice a collapsed barn?  Pretty scenic through here though, plus the north side of the hill too. 

I get to drive those roads everyday :) I'm not a skier though. If you took "State Street" from Hereford (about the last 5 miles of the trip if you went that way) up there did you notice a collapsed barn? Pretty scenic through here though, plus the north side of the hill too.

I did see it when I drove home! I didn't see the name of the name of the road, but I think you're talking about the one that leads from RT 100 to the mountain. It was beautiful driving on it tonight.

I did see it when I drove home! I didn't see the name of the name of the road, but I think you're talking about the one that leads from RT 100 to the mountain. It was beautiful driving on it tonight.

Yes that's the road.  Actually I think I was mistaken they call it "Seisholtzville Rd." up to about the point where you start going down again right before the ski area, then "State Street".  On the southeast side of RT 100 it's RT 29, but RT 29 joins RT 100 north at that red light at Turkey Hill. I just noticed that barn collapsed yesterday.  I'm glad you enjoyed your day :)  (I'm not a skier but I know this must have been perfect for you!)  P.S. I shoveled that 3.3" so I know it was fluffy as the wind blew it back in my face a few dozen times lol. 

Hit 8f for our low,a few ticks above now...It'll be interesting to see how high we go today/Mon. in relation to forecast...For me that should give an idea where the Tues.precip.trends...Up here last night till about 9 or so it was just howling and with that fresh powder and the loaded trees from last Thurs still there,it was literally whiteout conditions at times...Then fairly quickly after that it just shut down...  

Archived