Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 6-7 Winter System OBS

LithiaWx

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks good for the I-85 corridor... even brings some yellows through with 0.1-0.25" QPF. I'll hug it, haha.

It is down to 40 here. I really dont expect anything.

Anything you want on the RUC is right here:http://ruc.noaa.gov/RUC/Welcome.cgi

RAP:  http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/RAP/

HRRR:  http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/HRRR/

Change the domains to SE for a close-up view.

Thanks. Does what the rap, hires nam, hrrr does. It strengthens the 500mb vorticity.

PGV ftw....AGAIN??

IKR... :axe:

and Sky.... your 850s look ok. What is below that might the problem. At 925mb there is a strong warm bubble tucked against the lee side of the apps. Temps looks 35-37 range at 925 around simpsonville. But if precip can develop overtop of you evap cooling should take place.

Thanks. Does what the rap, hires nam, hrrr does. It strengthens the 500mb vorticity.

and Sky.... your 850s look ok. What is below that might the problem. At 925mb there is a strong warm bubble tucked against the lee side of the apps. Temps looks 35-37 range at 925 around simpsonville. But if precip can develop overtop of you evap cooling should take place.

Yeah....I'm not expecting much, so anything is a win. :)

I think the radar is very deceiving. Quite a bit of that isn't reaching the ground. Like if I look at the BMX radar it doesn't show anything just west of the city. But the FFC radar shows moderate returns there. That is a classic signal of precip not getting to the surface.

Edit: RAP confirms the system looks juicy on the composite simulated reflectivity but not much shows up on the 1km

Yeah quite a lot of it is not reaching the ground. When the strongest of returns went over rome, it doesn't look like it made it to the ground. It's a shame because temps/dewpoints/wetbulbs are quite low over most of the area, especially north and west of i-85. With temps around 35 to 37 and dewpoints in the 22 to 24 range...both of which is a bit lower than models were showing. So I think if anything does reach the ground there is a decent shot of seeing something frozen for a little bit.

Not sure if there will be enough to the north as reflectivity is really low but further to the south it's not so bad. Will be interesting to see if that primary band from eastern alabama toward atlanta ends up reaching the ground eventually. I think there is decent enough rates to probably do so.

Thanks! I gonna keep one eye outside and the other on next weeks threat. It looks like alot of precip on radar.!

Just in from mhx

706 PM EST THU FEB 6 2014

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA.

.DAY ONE, TONIGHT.

EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA WILL BE ON THE NORTHERN PERIPHERY OF AN AREA OF MOISTURE STREAKING NORTHEAST ACROSS THE SOUTHEASTERN UNITED STATES THIS EVENING. THIS MOISTURE WILL MOVE INTO THE REGION LATE THIS EVENING INTO THE OVERNIGHT HOURS AND WILL FALL IN THE FORM OF RAIN, MIXED AT TIMES WITH LIGHT SNOW. SURFACE TEMPERATURES ARE FORECAST REMAIN JUST ABOVE FREEZING WHEN THE PRECIPITATION FALLS, SO NO ACCUMULATIONS ARE ANTICIPATED AT THIS TIME.

If you look at the SE radar.

The northern(ATL ne) band has faded some but I think its re organizing. Appears to be trying to form one long band from AL to Roanoke.

Also there was a snow hole over ATL and its filling in... So downtown should be getting in on the action ne towards gainsville and athens.

Archived