WED 18Z 12-FEB  -1.2     2.8    1018      95      96    0.45     561     547   
THU 00Z 13-FEB  -2.1     2.9    1013      95      98    0.24     555     545   
THU 06Z 13-FEB  -1.7     0.0    1012      96      99    0.22     548     539   
THU 12Z 13-FEB  -0.8    -1.4    1011      97      93    0.03     546     537

Atlanta

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still can't believe this is happening. Its very pretty out in Johnson City right now. Little cool, but the sun is shining brightly. The calm before the storm I suppose.

Same in Kingsport, Silas. It was a great day to work outside to be sure. I kept thinking about what it'll be like tomorrow. :snowing:

Welcome to the board!

I am baffled by AFD and how different mets see different things in the same models.

Nashville mentions the NAM as one of it's reasons not to believe the models that show snow over a much bigger portion of their area. The WPC says they strongly recommend throwing out today's NAM runs when making a forecast because they are too flat, too fast and too dry. JKL mentions the consistency of the EURO for the 3rd day in a row, says that it shows Warning criteria 3-4 counties west from VA in their CWA but also says the GFS has been consistent, only shows warning criteria for their VA border counties so that's where they issue them. WPC mentions that the GFS has actually been folding towards the Euro run after run, but that it's still to flat. so they're going with the GFSEns because they line up more with the Euro/UKie.

Same in Kingsport, Silas. It was a great day to work outside to be sure. I kept thinking about what it'll be like tomorrow. :snowing:

Welcome to the board!

Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah it started out being pretty cold this morning, but by the time I was leaving campus this afternoon it was nice out. Yeah I can't stop thinking about it either. I think I dreamed of snowfall models all night since I've been looking at them so much lately. lol

And as soon as I post that I look at the GFS and wonder how JKL gets that it puts out warning criteria for them on either 12z or 18z.

At 12z it had .10-.25 qpf over NE TN and only showed 2 inches of snow at the Tri. It rebounded a little at 18 and now has Tri around 3-4 inches. It's on an island at this point with pretty much every other model output being much higher over NE TN.

Read a little in the SE Forum and now it sounds like Atlanta is going from more snow to sleet with lots of ice. GaWx is posting mind-blowing totals for Atlanta and Athens. Like 6-8 inches of sleet with a couple of ice possibly as part of that. Scary.

The big GFS map over there doesn't make me happy at all. It looks more like 2-3 inches here. With forecasts changing so fast in their areas, I don't know what that does to us. I need map readers!

My post above about GaWx is all sleet mostly, not freezing rain and was based off the Canadian. I didn't check closely enough from what I read earlier and didn't want to misrepresent what he said. He thinks sleet+snow could set records there (6-8"). Whatever happens here, it will be interesting to watch there.

Is sleet almost as bad as freezing rain in large amounts? I was reading the Memphis AFD and their warning criteria for sleet is just one half inch.

I've never seen this. I spend half my time here googling words and phrases you all use to keep from asking too many stupid questions. Right now, if I google anything with the word weather in it, a big East Tennessee Winter Storm Warning is at the top in a box before the rest of the results.

tnweathernut, Johnson City had TWO FEET of snow in '98? Wow! I didn't know that. I loved living up there near Erwin. I like Knoxville, but I like the weather there better, though a power outage like that would drive me nuts.

Yes Tabby, we actually had between 24 and 36 inches over a 25 mile radius from JC. In fact, the 90s............for as warm a decade as you will see had THREE big snows.  The one I mentioned in 1998, the blizzard of 96 (which was very cold afterward - seems like it stuck around forever), and of course the Blizzard of 1993.  We haven't had a 10 inch snow since 1998 in Johnson City.  It's "time", hope we can hit the jackpot.

tnweathernuts, was your '96 blizzard in late Jan, maybe the 1st of Feb? I loved that winter. The last good winter we had until maybe this year. We had snow three Thursday nights in a row and that one it stayed cold all week. I think I wrote before that I broke my arm in two places that next Monday and we went to UT's ER on Kingston Pike and it was still hard snow even though it had been salted. I never expected to see that much snow and ice almost four days later. It was still on the ground and in parking lots that Wed when I went back to the ortho Dr. Is that the one that was your blizzard?

Ha, I hate to say so, but I was through college by a decent bit by then. :)

It was a great snow. That was the only time the place that I worked closed for salary workers ever. They'd close for hourly, but make us come in anyway. It was monthly closing time (accountant) and I had to pick up some work to meet our press release deadlines and my boyfriend and I drove there to pick it up and got stuck big time in the parking lot. My car was like a bulldozer without a plow. Luckily, some IT guys that just stayed through the snow to keep our southern stores' registers etc running, came out and helped push us out. I thought for sure I had a long walk home.

A few miles can make a difference. If I go to the zone forecast and click on where I am, a few miles south of Pellissippi Pkwy, it says 2-4 and then 1-3. Just three miles away it says 1-3 and 1-3.

Stove, we might be on the right side of Knox Co for a change. Assuming any of this works out.

Bama, on Facebook? I understand (down in the comments) that he's saying the rain/snow line forecast was too far north (that blue line he said). I can't tell on the "Actual" which is the comparable line, though. I see sort of blue, sort of purple, but more than one. It may be my monitor. But he said the line is more south than forecast, so that's good.

Edit: That blue line looks purple to me. Maybe someone that understands can screenshot it and draw a line for us.

Archived