joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter

Vol Man

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading some people in the SE Forum getting ready for power outages. I was thinking about visiting my uncle in Greenville, SC for the snow, but they're getting about .4 of sleet and then half an inch of freezing rain after their snow. I'm pretty low maintenance but I do need electricity.

Stovepipe - looking at their Cobb Data, their temps are similar to here, especially in the beginning, so why does their snow not go down so much like ours, if all this works out this way? Or would they have had a foot instead of 7 inches? I see the 1.5 inches vs the mean you posted in the storm thread and understand that (surprise!), but I was just curious if that goes for the Carolina's too.

What if this verified? Northern Georgia would be a total mess. I'm checking the Cobb Data and I've never heard of inches of ice like that. I haven't looked at any in SC yet. 2-3 inches would just destroy stuff. It comes over a 10 hour period or so. Can it melt as it's falling or does it just add up? I've seen one small ice storm and I couldn't walk in it, but the power didn't go off or anything. Is it just ice on ice and so on?

Reading some people in the SE Forum getting ready for power outages. I was thinking about visiting my uncle in Greenville, SC for the snow, but they're getting about .4 of sleet and then half an inch of freezing rain after their snow. I'm pretty low maintenance but I do need electricity.

Stovepipe - looking at their Cobb Data, their temps are similar to here, especially in the beginning, so why does their snow not go down so much like ours, if all this works out this way? Or would they have had a foot instead of 7 inches? I see the 1.5 inches vs the mean you posted in the storm thread and understand that (surprise!), but I was just curious if that goes for the Carolina's too.

I guess you'd have to check the soundings to be sure, the upper air temps.  Cobb is just a good guess and often times better than just using a straight ratio like 10:1.  In TYS's case on that 18z run, it may have been factoring in a bit of sleet or rain mixing in as well as compaction of the snow.  Like I said, to get a better idea you'd want to study the text data and the skew-t charts which I've not even bothered to dig into today.

The only way for massive amounts of ice to accrue is for the rain to be light to moderate at most over a long period and the temp to be 30 or less usually. If the rain is heavier and the temp is 31 or 32, it will wash away the ice and the freezing process itself causes a bit of latent heat release. That's why uber damaging ice storms are very rare, though they do occur. The Plateau had one in December 1998, that was a black out Christmas here. 2 days of rain with a temp in the 26-28 degree range. Nashville compares it to the 1994 West Tennessee ice storm for their Plateau and Ky border counties.

Here's the 5:14am update to MRX's HWO for any who may be interested. Calling for 3-5 in the mountains and light accumulation in the Valley. Of course they note this could change with the proper track.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MORRISTOWN TN
514 AM EST MON FEB 10 2014

NCZ060-061-TNZ012>018-035>047-067>074-081>087-098>102-VAZ001-002-
005-006-008-111015-
CHEROKEE-CLAY-SCOTT TN-CAMPBELL-CLAIBORNE-HANCOCK-HAWKINS-
SULLIVAN-JOHNSON-MORGAN-ANDERSON-UNION-GRAINGER-HAMBLEN-
NORTHWEST COCKE-COCKE SMOKY MOUNTAINS-NORTHWEST GREENE-
SOUTHEAST GREENE-WASHINGTON TN-UNICOI-NORTHWEST CARTER-
SOUTHEAST CARTER-ROANE-LOUDON-KNOX-JEFFERSON-NW BLOUNT-
BLOUNT SMOKY MOUNTAINS-NORTH SEVIER-SEVIER SMOKY MOUNTAINS-
SEQUATCHIE-BLEDSOE-RHEA-MEIGS-MCMINN-NORTHWEST MONROE-
SOUTHEAST MONROE-MARION-HAMILTON-BRADLEY-WEST POLK-EAST POLK-LEE-
WISE-SCOTT-RUSSELL-WASHINGTON-
514 AM EST MON FEB 10 2014 /414 AM CST MON FEB 10 2014/

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR PORTIONS OF SOUTHWEST NORTH
CAROLINA...EAST TENNESSEE AND SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT...

SOME LIGHT SNOW CAN BE EXPECTED TODAY...MAINLY OVER PORTIONS OF
NORTHEAST TENNESSEE AND CENTRAL EAST TENNESSEE. SOME LIGHT SNOW
ACCUMULATIONS OF UP TO AN INCH WILL BE POSSIBLE...MAINLY OVER THE
HIGHER ELEVATIONS.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...TUESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY...

...SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATION POSSIBLE TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH
WEDNESDAY NIGHT...

MODEL FORECASTS CONTINUE TO POINT TOWARD THE POSSIBILITY OF
SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL ACCUMULATION TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY
NIGHT. AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP OVER THE
NORTHWESTERN GULF OF MEXICO TUESDAY NIGHT...THEN MOVE NORTHEAST ACROSS
THE GULF COAST STATES AND EASTERN CAROLINAS WEDNESDAY AND WEDNESDAY
NIGHT. THIS AREA OF LOW PRESSURE WILL PULL GULF MOISTURE NORTHWARD
INTO THE SOUTHERN APPALACHIANS PRODUCING A LARGE AREA OF
PRECIPITATION.

THE PRECIPITATION WILL MAINLY BE IN THE FORM OF SNOW...BUT A MIXTURE
OF SNOW AND RAIN IS POSSIBLE ACROSS THE SOUTHERN VALLEY AND
SOUTHWEST NORTH CAROLINA. AT THIS TIME...IT APPEARS THAT THE BEST
CHANCE FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL ACCUMULATION WILL BE TUESDAY NIGHT
THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS ALONG THE TENNESSEE
AND NORTH CAROLINA BORDER. IN THIS AREA A GENERAL 3 TO 5 INCH
SNOWFALL IS POSSIBLE...ALTHOUGH ELEVATIONS ABOVE 5000 FEET MAY SEE
HIGHER AMOUNTS.

PLEASE STAY TUNED TO THE LATEST FORECAST CONCERNING THIS POTENTIAL
WINTER STORM AS THE FORECAST CAN CERTAINLY CHANGE. AT THIS TIME A
LIGHT SNOWFALL ACCUMULATION IS POSSIBLE ACROSS THE GREAT VALLEY.
HOWEVER....THERE IS A CHANCE FOR A MORE SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL
ACCUMULATION ACROSS THE GREAT VALLEY IF THE STORM SYSTEM MOVES
ALONG A MORE FAVORABLE TRACK WHICH WOULD RESULT IN GREATER
COVERAGE OF HEAVY SNOW.

I've not checked the local TV mets but here is my guess:

Hinkin - What storm?  Slight chance of rain

Aldrich - Hugging the Euro but geographically confused.  Thinks storm will move in from the east.

Howell - A sensible forecast based on a model blend.  Potential for 2-4 in the valley, maybe more.

I can't tell if MRX is playing the ostrich (head in the ground), or if they think ALL of the models are wrong and we will have serious BL temp issues. Tracking this storm is taking years off of my life.

I don't see it as ostrich...it is just not clear yet, and I don't think they are doing a bad job...there is still plenty of time. And I can definitely see between the 00Z Euro and GFS why caution is in order....

Archived